Sign in to follow this  
mysterygirl

Bluegrass Aquatics - online purchse review

Bluegrass Aquatics
online fish purchase vendor review

I had never bought an on-line fish before. I typed in Aquabid.com and found this ad:

Red Ryukin Goldfish - Regular 2 - 2.5 inches

Here is the marketing photo from their Ryukin Ad

MarketingRedRyukinsweb.png

This photo is of the type of fish I’ve been trying to purchase.

Basicallly what I call a Fantail. I'd prefer more red than orange, and no big hump. Some white is okay.  

I haven’t been able to find any fantails that look like this locally. So I purchased 3 of these Red Ryukins off the photo from Bluegrass Aquatics, hoping they’d look like the picture, but requesting a photo/video. They were $12 each, plus $50 shipping.

I would have preferred that I could have seen a photo/video of each fish that I was purchasing. I did request this via email, but it turned out to be wishful thinking.  Vendor gets an F/ fail for not photo-documenting the fish that they’re selling, even after a request.  Am I expected to believe that my fish will look so similar to the one in the picture that BA doesn’t have to bother to document what they’re actually selling?  You can compare the ones I actually received to their marketing photo above later in this review. 

The night my fish shipped there were airport-closing thunderstorms in Memphis. This happens to be a major FedEx hub location and I was more than a little concerned about the shipment. I was preparing for them to be all dead, you know? I was prepared for the worst…..but I had faith and anticipated the outcome I wanted.

Bluegrass Aquatics gets a solid A / excellent for shipping. That package went from Florida to northern California in 16 hours. It left their location about 5 pm, and was in my hands the next day in the middle of nowhere Northern California at 10:30AM.  Perhaps I’m also giving FedEx my stellar review here, but I was so relieved and impressed to receive them so quickly.  Bluegrass Aquatics are a bit stealthy about using FedEx to ship live fish.

B- minus / above average for packing   No leaks, but the bags were small and not containing much water per fish – about  200g/1.5 cups H2Oper fish. All 3 fish had been sedated and did not seem at all stressed upon arrival.

Fish quality. You be the judge.

On the Pro side: I’ve had the fish for 2 weeks. They are active with no signs of disease or swim bladder disorder.  They’re in the pond and swimming very strong and deep.  I still find a white stringy poo (?) from one of them. They are friendly and get along amongst themselves and all of the other pond fish. 

Summary: Overall the biggest objection I have with this purchase was that I’m buying “blind.” If I could have seen the fish first, I’m not sure that I would have completed the purchase, mainly because I was looking for a “type”.  That said, the fish arrived very quickly and are both healthy and active, with no swim bladder disorder, Ich or other problems.

Fish #1 Stanley  20 grams  2” nose to peduncle     tail not fully split
Stanleystats.jpg

Fish #2 Lasagna  19 grams  2.12” nose to peduncle
initial dorsal fin spine broken

Lasagna.jpg

Fish #3 Fuse  Tail fused and not fullly split

Fuse.jpg

The fish are pretty but I agree that they're dissimilar to your original pic :( why did you complete the order without visual conformation?

Well, this is a good comprehensive review and I appreciate it :thumbs:

Thanks for putting your time into it :D

Thanks for the review! 

As far as water goes per fish, the bags should contain 1/3 water to 2/3 air, at least. This allows for adequate amounts of oxygen. Was there really a lot less water? :o 

The fish are pretty but I agree that they're dissimilar to your original pic :( why did you complete the order without visual conformation?

why did you complete the order without visual conformation?  

I attempted this, and they wouldn't comply, at least in a timely manner. They don't offer a photo of the fish you're buying. I feel this is a serious weakness if they hope to break into the goldfish hobbiest market.

Thanks for the review! 

As far as water goes per fish, the bags should contain 1/3 water to 2/3 air, at least. This allows for adequate amounts of oxygen. Was there really a lot less water? :o

I think they had that. Plenty of air. But they were trying to squeeze 3 fish into my package. It didn't seem like a lot of water.

Thank you for your review.  It was well written.  I don't think I would have been able to purchase fish without seeing a photo and even a video.  Your fish are beautiful.  I'm glad they are all doing well and that they arrived so fast for you.

I can't get anything that looks like a fantail locally, so I caved.  I love my little new guys...but you don't want any surprises when purchasing online. This review was also sent to Bluegrass Aquatics, so they may have a comment to add. 

Edited by mysterygirl

Thanks for sharing this. Such a bummer that these guys were so poorly represented.. Misrepresented?

But it's nice of you to take one for the team, so to speak, in case you really did get what was advertised. Great price for those who can't find what they want locally.

I'd be interested to hear their response if they do make one, and if you feel comfortable sharing.

why did you complete the order without visual conformation?  

I attempted this, and they wouldn't comply, at least in a timely manner. They don't offer a photo of the fish you're buying. I feel this is a serious weakness if they hope to break into the goldfish hobbiest market.

I agree. Serious flaw in the hobbiest market. Makes me feel like shady things are happening or they're trying to hide or mask something :idont

Right? And there are plently of folks who would be thrilled to get the fish I did for the price. 

But when the actual fish differ from the photo of what's being offered you're bound to get disappointed customers. 

Stringy Poo update

I ended up gettting a bit concerned about seeing Stanley with stringy poo in the pond and put him "back" in quarantine for a while with his bestie/nemesis Fuse. I wanted to give him a round of antibiotics, similar to what I was doing with Vanilli at the time.

His poo is fine now....but he's turned so dark some Koko's member wonder if he's a calico.   

Thanks for the review, MG.  I think Fuse is going to be a real looker.

They look alittle Ryukin ish to me.... :(

They ARE Ryukins. Very friendly ones, too! 

Is this a red and white Ryukin?

Stanleyweb1.jpg

"Mom, did I do something bad?"

Stanleyweb2.jpg

Here's my good side, stop worrying. 

Thanks for the review. My tank is almost cycled and I'm thinking FISH. Love your new calico (?).

Saddly the new calico named Fire Marshall Stanley transitioned on Sept. 13, 2015

I mention this as part of the on-line vendor review. 

It seemed to be something internal, he could not close his mouth (tetnus/lockjaw, flukes?)

Perhaps he swallowed something.

Stanley was the fish with the white stringy poo early on, he may have arrived with problems.

I miss his cheerry greeting already.

Edited by mysterygirl