Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Rescue Betta

I went over to my boyfriend's house last night, and a friend of his had dropped off a Betta that he wasn't taking care of. I am not sure how long his friend had had the fish, but he was in a ~1 gallon plastic cube with no heater or filter. It looked like the water had never been changed. I did a large water change immediately and matched the temperature ... fortunately it is summer so the temp is pretty warm anyway, plus I took him home and put him upstairs since heat rises. After the water change, "Blue" immediately perked up.

Mario's friend gave him some pellet food called "BettaDelux," but it doesn't look very high quality (3 of the first 5 ingredients are fillers). I have some NLS Thera-A (small pellets) and also Soilent Green; would these foods work?

I will also be upgrading the tank and adding a heater. I haven't decided yet whether I want to add a filter or just do daily water changes - I might just add an air-powered sponge filter.

Is there anything else I will need for him? His pectoral fins look pretty ragged, so I'll definitely be focused on keeping the water pristine. Mario said he was in there with another fish; the way he described the fish it sounded like a female Betta - it looks like they were fighting. I just want to nurse this little guy back to health, so any tips would be much appreciated! I've never had a Betta myself before, but researched their care last year for a coworker who wanted to get one for his daughter.

Here's a picture of him with the flash and without the flash - it's amazing how iridescent he is!

a414cfce4a6d35bbe43d7cff84b8b552.jpg

634c3fb6b6d2584cce504c191fa4c610.jpg

He's beautiful, Amanda.  Love his color.  Your going to get him back to health in no time with your care.  Not too sure about the nls food but for long term I think I would pick up betta food specifically for "betta's."  Or, perhaps you can look at the ingredients and compare.  Depending on what size tank you get for him you might want to stick with a filter or the sponge filter.  I think I would get tired of doing daily w/c all the time long term.  Your betta might get stressed with you doing them daily also long term.  Will be looking forward to seeing his home/tank all set up and with him in it.

That's a kind thing you're doing. Good luck with him!

It's a very nice thing you are doing. :)  I love Bettas :)  Omega One betta food is good.  I joined a forum on Facebook for betta keepers and lots of them recommend the sponge filters.  I would recommend a filter if possible because I just think it's easier.  I bought one of those 5 gallon Top Fin tanks at Petsmart recently.  It was $49 but looks really nice and has an integrated filter.  My betta (who looks a lot like your new one) had to be moved because he wasn't getting along with his tank mates anymore. :no:  But that's the way it goes.  I attached a pic.  I put the heater inside now so it fits in there.  I also modified the filter because I hate cartridges and added some seeded bio media.  I will probably try sand and some real plants eventually too. 

I hope you enjoy your new guy! :)

post-24797-0-35001000-1437347895_thumb.j

Edited by lizam

I love your setup!

I'll stop by Petsmart on my way home from work this week and check out that tank. It looks lovely!

Edited by *Amanda*

What a beautiful betta! His coloring is like a peacock feather!

What a pretty betta! I bet he'll look even better once he's been in clean water and eating good food for a while.

He's so pretty! He reminds me of my very first betta (Who unfortunately lived much like this one, like 1/4 of a gallon tank, no heater, no filter, bunch of gravel and water changed about once every 1-2 weeks :yikes Glad I know better than that now ^_^)  

I'm excited to see how he brightens up with proper care!

Glad to hear he has a new, better home with you! He's a pretty little guy. :) How's he doing?

Good for you, bettas don't require much but clean water. Good for you for saving him!!!!  I HATE going into the pet store and seeing them in those containers half dead, it's cruel.

Update - Blue is now in a 10 gallon tank with my 2 apple snails. He looks THRILLED to have so much room! And I am thrilled to see him so active ... I've never seen a betta swim around like that! :D :D

Glad he's doing well!!!

Oh come on, no update is complete without a beauty shot :D

This! You know the rules  :rules:

This! You know the rules  :rules:

:thumbup2::goldfish::photo:

not to be redundant but I'd also love a picture of him rocking his new home!

I have a soft spot for bettas....I don't have any right now as it seems I can never have *just one!*

Glad to hear he's doing well!