Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

Color change timeline

The parents are a combination of:

Red cap oranda

Gold ryuken

Black moor

I really have no clue which are the parents, though.

My fry are reaching 1" long, and I have one that's changed colors; the rest are the basic silvery bottom and green-black top.

I'm thinking its time for a culling due to their size, but don't want to cull before they have a chance to develop color.

If I'm not seeing any evidence of a color change, is it likely any of the other fry will develop color?

How old are your fry?  I've never raised fry but this might be information needed to those that have.   One inch doesn't seem very old to me.  Congrats on your fry by the way. :)

A couple of my fry are 8 months old and still havent got colour!

If I'm not seeing any evidence of a color change, is it likely any of the other fry will develop color?

Hi Troy, 

I have a fish after two years that is only now starting to change color. She went from wild carp color (olive metalic bronze) to dark charcoal, and now is turning orange.  I have an all white fish that decided on orange polka dots after 4 years. 

Some of my tank-raised fry starting changing colors immediately after introducing new food with more carotenoids.

Luckily I was such an inexperienced baby fish caretaker that my fish "culled themselves." I was left with 2 from on brood and 5 from the 2nd. Both started out with over 100 siblings.

Edited by mysterygirl

Pics! Pics! Pics! :P

We need photos :nana

Please!

We need  :photo:  :photo:  :photo: !

:D

Super glad you have kept them!

The parents are a combination of:

Red cap oranda

Gold ryuken

Black moor

I really have no clue which are the parents, though.

My fry are reaching 1" long, and I have one that's changed colors; the rest are the basic silvery bottom and green-black top.

I'm thinking its time for a culling due to their size, but don't want to cull before they have a chance to develop color.

congratulations,   what I found is needed to help fry produce colour change is patience, Go find some of that and give it to them. good luck

I'm not really concerned if it just takes time for fry to produce color- I am just totally ignorant of how long it can take.

And they're getting big enough to make the tank they're in 'overstocked'.

I didn't plan on fry... I literally did nothing to protect the eggs, expecting the fish in my main tank to simply eat the eggs. They hitched a ride to the 'plant' tank when I changed the substrate in my main tank.

They survived in spite of me. I was shocked when they hatched.

But, I'll see how they do.

They hatched in mid May, I think.

And a pic for the interested.

6a01d84fb5db523c68b835d13b5a8a58.jpg

Edited by troy.telford

Thanks for sharing.  The one in the foreground looks like a ryukin!  Mine are 11 months old and still trying to get their colors.  One is mostly orange, two look a bit like orange/black pandas, one might stay black, and one is a brownish color.

Most metallic goldfish will not have colored at two months. Taking wild guess,I would give 3-6 months as the most common age for coloring. I've had fish stay wild colored until more than two years old.

I have two matte/nacreous Oranda that are three months old and have changed color. My two Tosakin fry and one Tele fry are two months old and while I can see pattern under the fry coloration they're still pretty velvety dark. They're also metallic, which I've heard takes quite a bit longer.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Wow congrats, they are stunning. I would love to raise goldfish babies. I used to breed guppies and convict cichlids. Got out of cichlids because they are so nasty to each other so I got I no goldfish, no regrets. :thumbup2:

Matte/nacreous fish typically show "color" from the start.  When the metallic fry go from transparent to brown, in the first week or so, the nacreous/matte are spotted or white.  This color (unless white/pink) will usually change as they mature.  

That's so interesting, Sharon!

Huh. I checked the Oranda fry again and they are actually metallic. I'm lame and misremembered. Not I'm surprised they're showing adult coloration at their age and size.

Apparently I need to stare at my new fish longer so I make less mistakes in their ID :D

Edited by Arctic Mama

Some of my spring babies are fully colored, some are coloring, and some remain fully wild colored.

Has nutrition or UV exposure been shown to make much of a difference? I know they can intensify color, but do they actually affect when it manifests?

I don't think so.