What is this?

Reds12

I have a few of these super round-bodied little guys...all have a single tail.  The rest of the babies are long comet-like bodies.

I'm curious what these are?  They almost look like fat little oranda bodies.  Are they just called mixed-breed goldfish or do they have an actual name?

20150718_183230_zpsvqzsahod.jpg

It depends on who their parents are.

Some double-tailed fish will have single-tailed babies, even in a dt x dt pairing. Those are called nymphs, like Mandy said above.

A st x dt pairing will produce some st fry with dt features, too. Those we could call nymphs, but would be more-inclined to just call them mixed-type/breed babies.

One calls a short-bodied single tailed fish a nymph regardless of ancestry.  In my ponds anyway, these cute fish appear to have have more vigor than double-tailed fancies.  I think this happens because they are very good swimmers, and get more exercise than twin-tailed fish.  If they also have a short tail, they will swim faster than comets.  Long tails slow a fish about  as much as double tails.

I have read breeders say that low temperature can turn fish that should have a double tail into single tails.  Temperature for early development can even alter the sex ratio.  

Ahh, very interesting!

I actually don't know who their parents are, since these babies came to my pond as eggs from another pond.  All I can say is that I absolutely love them.  I don't know why you don't see these around, they're adorable.

Ahh, very interesting!

I actually don't know who their parents are, since these babies came to my pond as eggs from another pond.  All I can say is that I absolutely love them.  I don't know why you don't see these around, they're adorable.

You don't see them around because breeders cull them in the first round.  You can distinguish single and double tails so early, and most breeders don't breed for the pet market.  

I love nymphs! I saw some beautiful calico nymphs for sale over at my favorite pet store once, but I wasn't looking for another fish at the time. Someday...