Help!

Guest hamstaman

Guest hamstaman

Ok i have a few questions that are all yes or no questions and sometimes short answer so please reply if you can help!! I have a 5 inch goldfish and 2 gold mystery snails in a 10 gallon tank , with plastic plants a filter and heater..

is checking ph important?and how do you check it?

is there such thing as too much calcium?(cuz the snails need it but will it harm the fish?)

do i need to check nitrates?how?

do i need to check ammonia?how?

how do i raise my ph?

how do i gain calcium in my tank?

is there anything else important i need to know cuz im new at this lol.. thanks

• Admin
Ok i have a few questions that are all yes or no questions and sometimes short answer so please reply if you can help!! I have a 5 inch goldfish and 2 gold mystery snails in a 10 gallon tank , with plastic plants a filter and heater..

is there such thing as too much calcium?(cuz the snails need it but will it harm the fish?)

how do i raise my ph?

is there anything else important i need to know cuz im new at this lol.. thanks

Always important, if there is a fluctation in the ph you can kill your fish very fast.

If you have hard water (GH another test) then your Snail would be fine in the water you have for it.

Yes,Test kit

Yes,Test kit

how do i raise my ph?

you dont need to mess with the Ph unless its in the 6.0 mark.

Coral Shells would do the trick. :D

Guest hamstaman

so if i use egg shells for the calcium i just leave them in the water??? what happens if there is too much calcium in the water??? the snail would be fiine but my fish would die wouldnt it?

Guest Rudolf

No your fish will not die.

I only use rainwater which has a Ph of 6.5. I have tried eggshell, both powdered and small pieces and found that the pieces of eggshell are still visible weeks afterwards so obviously eggshell does not dissolve rapidly.

I have a small piece of cuttlefish shell in each of my tanks.

If you cannot afford a comprehensive test kit, just try and purchase some Ph test strips.

You can also raise the Ph in your tank by using Bicarbonate of Soda. You will need to experiment with a known quantity of water and Bi-carb. to see how much is required.

However, at this stage if you do not know your tanks Ph., leave everything well enough alone. Remember if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Guest hamstaman

thanks everyone lol... my snails Gary and Snailee are doing great... I bought some cycle and some water conditioner.... if i see a problem with their shells are star trying to get the calcium up but for now i'll just see what happens:D:D thanks again

take a look at some pics of my hamster Chip and some pics of my friends hamsters... remeber to sign the guestbook please:D http://www.geocities.com/theham_hams

Guest hamstaman

haha thanks.. i have one more question... i just put lettuce in the tank like halfway under a rock and the snails are eating it.... how long should i leave the lettuce in there or any other veggie??? and should i leave a veggie for them over night??? and should there always be available veggies for them when algae is absent???

i guess that was more then 1 but lol....

Ummm,I keep lettuce in my tank until

they finish eating all of it,it usally will take about 1h or so.

No you don't need to leave any food over night for them

they will eat the left over fish food ect ect.

And should there always be available veggies for them when algae is absent???

Yes,that would be a good idea.

Archived