Can your pond pump empty your pond?

shakaho

Against your will?

Yesterday morning, I went out at dawn to pick up the newspaper and heard the unmistakable sound of a pump sucking air.   I immediately looked in the pond and saw at least a few inches of water and some very nervous fish.  Then I saw the pond filter tipped over and lying on the ground. 

The pond was not empty, because I keep the pump in a box based on one of these.

8508b251-778b-462f-ae12-fef2a275bb87_400

I got the smallest tote with a latch top that the pump would fit in, drilled holes in the top for pond water to come in and a bigger hole for a pipe (to the filter) to come out.  The water comes in through the lid, so the water level in the pond can't go lower than the top of the box, keeping the pump from emptying the pond completely.  

Some people put the pump on a block, but I think the pump is less likely to fall off and wind up on the bottom of the pond if it is in a box.

You mean you have no pipes or hoses from the pond to the filter?  Almost all pond emptyings involve broken or leaking pipes and hoses.  

we do have hoses but they are also underground kind of so aren't likely to break and we also have the pump higher than the lowest water section in case it starts leaking everywhere

Edited by goldfishfanforever

You mean you have no pipes or hoses from the pond to the filter?  Almost all pond emptyings involve broken or leaking pipes and hoses.  

we do have hoses but they are also underground kind of so aren't likely to break and we also have the pump higher than the lowest water section in case it starts leaking everywhere

Just because they are in the ground, doesn't mean they won't leak or break. Think about plumbing: It's in the walls of a home or underground for the septic system. Yet things like that break all the time. 

My pump is on the bottom but the way it works it would leave a few inches. That would buy me a short amount of time. Any of my hoses that broke would fall into the pond. Sure hope I never empty my pond!

Edited by DieselPlower

My pump is on the bottom but the way it works it would leave a few inches. That would buy me a short amount of time. Any of my hoses that broke would fall into the pond. Sure hope I never empty my pond!

we empty our pond once a year to check how many fish we have and to get rid of mess on the bottom of the pond and to clean the sides so algae isn't a threat to the fish (hair algae stuff)

• Admin

That did happen to my pond.... The racoons hopped up and knocked the pipes over and my bucket, but I had the same thing as you Sharon... the filter box and I woke up to about 6" of water left in the pond.... I was lucky I had my pump in that :)

we empty our pond once a year to check how many fish we have and to get rid of mess on the bottom of the pond and to clean the sides so algae isn't a threat to the fish (hair algae stuff)

Probably a good idea! I guess I should have said I hope I never empty my pond on accident

Probably a good idea! I guess I should have said I hope I never empty my pond on accident

yeah makes more sense :D

This was a fear of mine, so I keep my pump in a box like this as well.  I figure worst case scenario, I end up with 6" of water and a dead pump.  Definitely a thought I could see not even crossing someone's mind, so a good thread.  Thanks!

• Admin

My pump was fine even though it had finished pumping several hours before.  

Yeah Mine too... I dont know how long but long enough to pump out 70 gallons of water.... but the Pump was still pumping away...

I feel so sorry for the fish when this happens... :(