Dieing goldfish

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry about your fish.

I've moved this to the Disease Diagnosis forum. You'll get more attention on this forum for what you need.

Please fill out the form in the D&D link below and paste here. The moderators need this information to help you.

Thanks!

Edited by LisaCGold

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) none
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)40
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)none
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)40
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? test-kit
      • * Water temperature? 70
      • * Tank size (how many 10gals.) and how long has it been running? 1 year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 20 gallon
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?1 week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?1
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?prim
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? on side,month open and going around in circles 

I forgot to say He was fine when I put him in the 10 gallon. I think I know why his month is still open he got stuck under the filter for 5 sec and 20 gallon was hurting him. I was able to get him out. But he still not doing well

• Helper

That looks like poisoning of some sort to me - we will see what the Lisas think! Was anything near the tank or spilled into it you can think of? Windex, pledge, etc?

The nitrates are also higher than my fish would tolerate - if you haven't already, a big water change won't worsen the situation but be very careful to keep the temperature close to what he came from to minimize his stress,

Whirling is a very bad sign, but it's not necessarily irreversible depending on the cause. He is acting like he ingested or respire red something toxic, if I had to bet money on it :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

That looks like poisoning of some sort to me - we will see what the Lisas think! Was anything near the tank or spilled into it you can think of? Windex, pledge, etc?

The nitrates are also higher than my fish would tolerate - if you haven't already, a big water change won't worsen the situation but be very careful to keep the temperature close to what he came from to minimize his stress,

Whirling is a very bad sign, but it's not necessarily irreversible depending on the cause. He is acting like he ingested or respire red something toxic, if I had to bet money on it :(

What do you mean poisining.

• Helper

I mean something toxic in the water chemistry or accidentally added into the tank. This can happen with household sprays, in particular. There could also be something leeching into the water from a decoration in the tank. That nitrate is high but not high enough I'd expect nitrate poisoning, and whirling isn't a common symptom of that. But bug spray, sunscreen, household cleaners, or air freshener a could all do it. So could solve thing in the tank like a rock or piece of wood that was leeching something caustic.

Very rarely you can also see whirling with a parasite deep in the mouth or gills. With that open mouth it is a possibility. Has the fish been eating well? Did it used to be fatter and thin out/emaciate in recent weeks?

One more instance of whirling I have personally had is temperature or pH shock. Especially a precipitous drop in either can cause whirling swimming. Your water chemistry makes that seem very unlikely, though :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Usually goldfish don't get stuck to the filter intake unless they're already weak. Healthy goldfish are strong and quick enough to swim away from the filter, so when you see a fish stuck to a filter intake, chances are the fish was not doing well to begin with, and lacked the strength to swim away. Was he displaying any signs of weakness at all before he was moved to the 10 gallon?

I mean something toxic in the water chemistry or accidentally added into the tank. This can happen with household sprays, in particular. There could also be something leeching into the water from a decoration in the tank. That nitrate is high but not high enough I'd expect nitrate poisoning, and whirling isn't a common symptom of that. But bug spray, sunscreen, household cleaners, or air freshener a could all do it. So could solve thing in the tank like a rock or piece of wood that was leeching something caustic.

Very rarely you can also see whirling with a parasite deep in the mouth or gills. With that open mouth it is a possibility. Has the fish been eating well? Did it used to be fatter and thin out/emaciate in recent weeks?

One more instance of whirling I have personally had is temperature or pH shock. Especially a precipitous drop in either can cause whirling swimming. Your water chemistry makes that seem very unlikely, though :)

opps I made a boo boo. It was suppose to be 20 not 40 sorry.  

Usually goldfish don't get stuck to the filter intake unless they're already weak. Healthy goldfish are strong and quick enough to swim away from the filter, so when you see a fish stuck to a filter intake, chances are the fish was not doing well to begin with, and lacked the strength to swim away. Was he displaying any signs of weakness at all before he was moved to the 10 gallon?

yes 

• Helper

If he has been weak for awhile and is now whirling (good catch Amanda!) that makes poisoning less likely. Could you tell us what color his gills are? Pale and pink, bright red, or more of a blood/maroon color?

If he has been weak for awhile and is now whirling (good catch Amanda!) that makes poisoning less likely. Could you tell us what color his gills are? Pale and pink, bright red, or more of a blood/maroon color?

normal

• Helper

What color is normal? Pictures or a really good description will help. I'm trying to isolate whether the condition of the gills or oxygen uptake is part of the problem, especially with the gaping mouth, or if we can eliminate that from the list of potential causes. Really close up pictures under bright light or a color description from you gently opening the gill plate will help. There are some good directions for examining gills, let me find the link for you.

Here it is:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107637-how-to-goldfish-gill-examination/

Edited by Arctic Mama

What color is normal? Pictures or a really good description will help. I'm trying to isolate whether the condition of the gills or oxygen uptake is part of the problem, especially with the gaping mouth, or if we can eliminate that from the list of potential causes. Really close up pictures under bright light or a color description from you gently opening the gill plate will help. There are some good directions for examining gills, let me find the link for you.

Here it is:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107637-how-to-goldfish-gill-examination/

its a normal red not bright read or light

Can't watch videos while on vacation.

Whirling and stuck to the filter don't sound good though. :(

I watched the video. The fish is sort of drifting around in circles (including sideways and upside down, as if it's on some sort of dizzying carnival ride) in the bottom corner of the tank, with its mouth wide open the entire time, seemingly oblivious to external stimuli. My first thought was something could be lodged in its mouth, especially since this all started so suddenly, but I don't think that would explain the whirling (or could it, if it is a piece of gravel that is messing with its balance and equilibrium?). The main tank the fish was in contains standard colored gravel as a substrate. The other two fish that are still in the main tank appear lively and healthy - whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting them at all. The QT tank is bare bottom.

Can't watch videos while on vacation.

Whirling and stuck to the filter don't sound good though. :(

I watched the video. The fish is sort of drifting around in circles (including sideways and upside down, as if it's on some sort of dizzying carnival ride) in the bottom corner of the tank, with its mouth wide open the entire time, seemingly oblivious to external stimuli. My first thought was something could be lodged in its mouth, especially since this all started so suddenly, but I don't think that would explain the whirling (or could it, if it is a piece of gravel that is messing with its balance and equilibrium?). The main tank the fish was in contains standard colored gravel as a substrate. The other two fish that are still in the main tank appear lively and healthy - whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting them at all. The QT tank is bare bottom.

That is the first thing I thought when I watched the video.  If he has been like this for 12 hours he may be tired from trying to dislodge it and this is the best he can do in terms of erratic movements to try and dislodge it.

Edited by Kayla102968

Could he have gotten something stuck in his mouth?  Just a thought :(.

There nothing in his month I think the 20 gallon filter hurt him,I think that why his month is open. I check on him,he was not breathing or moving. Then when I start to turn off the bubblier he move then he lay back at the bottom I am losing him :(

Edited by Tohru1529

• Helper

That's why I'm wondering, if it isn't poison, if there might be something in the gills causing issues. He looks very thin to my eye, too. But I wouldn't expect such rapid onset of whirling and weakness with parasite issues.

That's why I'm wondering, if it isn't poison, if there might be something in the gills causing issues. He looks very thin to my eye, too. But I wouldn't expect such rapid onset of whirling and weakness with parasite issues.

o I check his gills I did not see anything. Its just wired. He was fine before I went away,then I came back and found him like this.