I hope this goes well.

Phil B.

Well I stopped by Petco to pick up some plants for my new tank and came home with two. 

IMG_1534_zpsdwlawkuu.jpg

The one on the left is a type of Java Fern called a Windlov, which has all these tufts of greenery on top. Probably just the right size for goldies to tear up.

The one on the right which was labelled as simply an Asian Fern (hey its a fern, it'll do well in low light). Turned out to be something called a Bolbitis heteroclita, which is apparently hard to grow. So I don't expect it to be around for long. 

If the tank is for goldfish, I suggest planting heavily.  Lots of plants allow goldfish to spread out the abuse and it gives plants time to heal.  Just a couple plants will give goldfish something to focus on and the plants will get torn up or eaten quicker.  That said, goldfish don't often like to eat java fern (however they might just tear it up).

Bolbitis (and Java fern, for that matter) have a better chance to do well if they have water movement.  For example, if they are planted by the filter's outflow or by an air stone.

Good Luck!  :D

The one on the left is a type of Java Fern called a Windlov, which has all these tufts of greenery on top. 

Goldfish don't really eat Java Fern and those little tufts are Java Fern babies!   After a while, pick them off and anchor them onto something, voila, new Java Ferns.

Edited by mysterygirl

The one on the left is a type of Java Fern called a Windlov, which has all these tufts of greenery on top. 

Goldfish don't really eat Java Fern and those little tufts are Java Fern babies!   After a while, pick them off and anchor them onto something, voila, new Java Ferns.

There are a variety of Java Fern types.  Java Fern Windelov has tufts or fringes on the tips of it's leaves and those fringes are not baby plants.  However they can and will produce plantlets on the tips of their leaves just like normal Java Fern.  One beautiful type of Java Fern to look up, is Trident Java Fern.  It's one of my favorites!

Edited by Acro

If the tank is for goldfish, I suggest planting heavily.  Lots of plants allow goldfish to spread out the abuse and it gives plants time to heal.  Just a couple plants will give goldfish something to focus on and the plants will get torn up or eaten quicker.  That said, goldfish don't often like to eat java fern (however they might just tear it up).

Bolbitis (and Java fern, for that matter) have a better chance to do well if they have water movement.  For example, if they are planted by the filter's outflow or by an air stone.

Good Luck!  :D

The Bolbitus is directly in front of the outflow from my AQ110. Hopefully that'll be enough.

And if necessary I'll pick up some more ferns. Hopefully these plants will hang on though. I'm having trouble finding fish, so these guys will likely have time to get rooted and established. Last time I kept Java's they practically took over the aquarium.

Edited by Phil B.

The tank looks lovely! Love the pots. :)

There are a variety of Java Fern types.  Java Fern Windelov has tufts or fringes on the tips of it's leaves and those fringes are not baby plants.  However they can and will produce plantlets on the tips of their leaves just like normal Java Fern.  One beautiful type of Java Fern to look up, is Trident Java Fern.  It's one of my favorites!

This!

Windelov is a lovely java fern, very pretty.

Last time I kept Java's they practically took over the aquarium.

Another characteristic about Windelov Java Fern, is that it will stay smaller than normal Java Fern.  It should stay around 4 to 8 inches in size.

Looking great. Nice and simple but effective.

Makes me wonder if I got a bit carried away with my 50 gallon? veslrb.jpg

(nervous laughter)

Good luck mate and keep us in the loop!!

Edited by hughesyau