Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

How to quarantine East Coast chus...?

Hello everyone!.

Im being very cautious right now after what I experienced with some imports so I don't know how to quarantine this (ECR) ones properly

Im sure some of you have purchased ECR fish so I would like to hear your methods

They have been with me for a week now & I've following most of the seller's recommendations.

* low water lever

* sponge filter

* NLS 1mm pellet 

* 75 temperature & ph above 7.8

I added salt yesterday, 0.1% (after a week of chill - de stress) but I'm a little nervous about continuing with salt to reach 0.3% and (double dose) prazi

Seller obviously recommend to quarantine the fish but leave the quarantine method up to the buyer

(I believe to avoid complains later)

She says not to use any of the (cycled) filter media from existing tank neither the water.

Because this ranchus grew up in a "perfect" environment, they don't have any antibodies (immune system)

so they shouldn't be mixed with ANY imports or LFS fish

I noticed that they get stressed every time I do a water change..

they run away and face backwards followed by the long string poop..

I did a 100% WC last week and They didn't eat anything for half of the day and had the "hair poop" for several hours

(However, poop is HUGE any other time, that's why I think water changes stresses them)

And this is why I don't know how to proceed.. :hmm 

Last thing I want is to overstress them (with add-on's in the water) and have the possibility of an opportunist bacteria or parasite kill them

So first things first..

1- Should I or shouldn't I continue with the salt until reaching 0.3% ???

2- Should I or shouldn't I add prazi to the tank.. ???

I believe prazi doesn't bother (stress) the fish if they don't have any flukes/parasites but Im not 100% sure

3- How in the world do I (gradually) increase their immune system (antibodies) ???

Im not planing to have this guys by themselves so Im scared of them dying when I move them to the main 125G

which has seven LFS juvies

Thank you all for your comments

Your best bet would be to contact Cynthia directly being as they were her fish and I wouldn't want to void and warranty she may have. That's what I would do anyway.

Your best bet would be to contact Cynthia directly being as they were her fish and I wouldn't want to void and warranty she may have. That's what I would do anyway.

:thumbup2:

Edited by ChelseaM

Would you please give your tap and tank parameters?  Is your water naturally over 7.8 pH?  What water change schedule have you followed?

I disagree with the idea that  fish "from a reputable source" require salt, but not prazi, during quarantine.  All healthy fish, like all healthy humans, carry parasites and potential pathogens to which they have immunity.   In an established tank/pond, all of the fish will share the same strain of flukes and suffer not ill effects in the absence of stress conditions (like bad water).  But if you combine perfectly healthy fish from two different tanks, all of them potentially could get sick from the "pet bugs" of fish from the other tank.  

Under laboratory conditions, one can produce germ-free fish,  but the process requires lots of money, equipment, and specialized know-how,  and the resulting fish are weaklings, so I'm confident that Cynthia's fish are not germ-free. :)

I recommend you prazi the fish, but I see no reason to use more than 0.1% salt unless the fish show symptoms during the treatment.  

Here is advice on acclimating new fish to the bugs carried by the old fish from the Rain garden goldfish site:

If the plan is to move your goldfish to other quarters which already contains fish, then start getting them used to the microbes slowly.  In the second or third week, add a small amount of water from the other fish tank/pond to the quarantine tank.  As days pass and everything is going well, keep adding water from the other tank in ever larger quantities.  When the fish itself is finally moved, the new surrounding will "smell" like home.

Would you please give your tap and tank parameters? Is your water naturally over 7.8 pH? What water change schedule have you followed?

My tap water is 7.4 but it gets to 8.4 after de-gas

I got them last Wednesday so I did 25% WC on Friday, 100% WC on Sunday and 50% WC yesterday

Edited by 210 Oranda

I hadn't even thought of acclimating them with inoculation by small quantities of tank water. That's genius!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Would you please give your tap and tank parameters? Is your water naturally over 7.8 pH? What water change schedule have you followed?

I got them last Wednesday so I did 25% WC on Friday, 100% WC on Sunday and 50% WC yesterday

Did you let the water age prior to the 100% water change? 

Did you let the water age prior to the 100% water change?

Of course

I want to be clear with something.. Cynthia's ranchus arrived in superb conditions

My lack of knowledge makes me ask you (experts) for a better quarantine method (if exists) specially for these "CLEAN" chubbs

Im not assuming whatsoever that this fish are weak or difficult to quarantine.. they are awesome looking and super active..!

I just want to learn

I think it's great you asked, just in case. She has amazing stock, but like I said I don't think people are keeping them in ECR-only tanks for life. This is giving them the very best chance at remaining healthy - an appropriate quarantine (I agree with prazi and salt, it won't hurt a thing but pathogens!) and slowly acclimating them to your main tank is a great idea.

Your tap water sounds a little rough, so hopefully you can get some good advice on how to handle unstable water chemistry. I'm super spoiled now with a glacier fed lake as my source. There is so little chlorine in it I don't even need prime. Growing up I was in cruddy water land, though, and I think some of those swings and suspended gases caused me problems I couldn't figure out at the time! I didn't have quite the grasp on chemistry I do now :)

Now explain what you are doing to de-gas.  Just aging or something more?  Or is that what it goes to in the  tank?

What about your nitrogen parameters?  Do you have KH and GH?

Sorry to be a PITA with all the questions, but we do need to figure out why the fish are stressed by water change.  Did Cynthia give you information on her water change schedule and technique?  Goldfish are ultraconservatives.  They don't like change in water conditions, tanks, tankmates, schedules, etc.

Now explain what you are doing to de-gas.  Just aging or something more?  Or is that what it goes to in the  tank?

What about your nitrogen parameters?  Do you have KH and GH?

Sorry to be a PITA with all the questions, but we do need to figure out why the fish are stressed by water change.  Did Cynthia give you information on her water change schedule and technique?  Goldfish are ultraconservatives.  They don't like change in water conditions, tanks, tankmates, schedules, etc.

No baking soda.. just aging overnight in a separated tub with an airstone..

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5 (from tap)

KH 300

GH between 25 & 75

Sorry.. im at work now and didnt have time earlier to answer

All my goldies like to get caught up in the 'current' of clean water being poured into the tank, including my 2 ECR chus. ;)