Sign in to follow this  
Cassidy Rae Klawunn

Concerned About My Ranchu

I'm not really sure what's been up with my Ranchu as of late. I will start off by the initial problem I am concerned about. We've had the fish for about six months now. A few weeks ago, one of his eyes became cloudy (as seen in the pictures), but now the other one has developed this problem a few days ago and both the eyes are like this now. My other two fish (a fantail and a black moor) are perfectly fine, but he often eats quite a bit and ingests a lot of air. Now I have tried everything from the pea to the sinking pellets, and then he seems fine for a few days and then goes back to the floating again. We feed them a varied diet such as: brine shrimp, bloodworms, peas, and then pellets. I am wondering if these two problems are linked? I have done endless amounts of research but can't pinpoint the exact problem he has. He has an appetite and looks healthy aside from those two issues. There is zero ammonia in the tank and the pH levels are on point. Weekly water changes are done. Can anyone give me pointers on what this could be?Thank you so much!

Also, to treat this should I separate him from the others? What treatments can I do for him?11695962_951775544880914_78113379418230411707513_951775568214245_672503313291985

Edited by Cassidy

Im moving this to the DD section Please Fill this out...

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
      • * Any new fish added to the tank?
      • * Any medications added to the tank?
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I'm not a mod, so please do complete the diagnostic info that Koko requested. However, I've had very inky-black ranchus like yours and the "film" over the eyes can be a normal part of wen growth and development in these very black fish.

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate (Tank) Unknown
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Between 7.5/7.6
  • *Ph Level, Tap Our LPS tested it, and it was a little low but they said it was okay. We regulate it every week.

We also put 5 TBSP of API Salt in each water change 

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Test Kit
    • * Water temperature? 78 Degrees
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45 Gal and about 6 months.
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? We have two. A top fin 75 and a Penguin 150.
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week. 20-25 Gal per week.
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tuesday. 20 Gal of water.
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish. A  medium Black moor, a small Fantail, and a medium Ranchu.
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat Water Conditioner.
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day. Soaked pellets in the morning, and either frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or peas at night.
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
    • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 5 months ago, one of our fish that we moved to another tank had ich. We treated the main tank for about a week with API Super Ich Cure. 
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the cloudy eyes in only the Ranchu.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, he's eating fine and acting healthy besides the occasional floating to the top after a meal (he sometimes ingests a lot of air when he eats)

Based on this I still believe it's likely normal. For future reference we do not recommend that aquarium salt be added prophylactically. Goldfish aren't brackish water fish :).I'd recommend discontinuing the salt and keeping the water parameters pristine. A very large water change wouldn't hurt anything, though.

If you can please get us a full tank shot... :)

We need tank (and tap) parameters.  What do you mean by "API test kit"?  If the API Freshwater Master Kit, which we recommend,  you should be able to supply all the information.  If you must get testing done at the LPS, ask them to give you the numbers.  

My LPS informed us that it was normal wen growth as well. The Nitrate(tank) is 0, Ammonia(tank) is 0, and the PH is 7.6 with todays water change. He's very healthy, I am just quite a hypochondriac and I worry about my little water buddies all the time.
The Tank is a 45 GAL. I don't know why the picture is upside down but I can't seem to fix it.

image1.JPG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F29