Veterinary Visits...what is your opinion?

It looks like you found a good vet.

If you use fine sand -- like play sand -- it will treat her tummy more gently than a bare bottom.  If you use the fancy sand that is like fine gravel, barebottom is gentler.  

Since you are using medicated food,  I wouldn't put her back in the main tank.  

Just caught up with this thread, I'm sorry to hear about Turbz SB :hug Fins crossed that the medicated food makes some improvement.

Googs has been a sinker for at least 4 years and was the reason I searched the web and found and joined this forum. He wriggles around happily and finds food just fine, but the main problems I've encountered as a direct result of his bottom sitting are bullying and slime coat issues/sores.

My previous gf have all seen him as a target to push around and nibble and so he has to be a lone fish.

For the sores, I used to treat the tank periodically with salt which did help, but I hardly use it now since his various dropsy episodes a couple of years ago.

Koko recommended Collodial Silver baths recently (13 drops of silver in 2gal/7.5litre bucket for 30mins) which has really made a difference, but I need to check with her or an assistant how often I can use this treatment.

I was under the impression that bare bottom is best, so I have not tried the fine sand that Sharon has suggested. I wonder if Googs would still be able to scoot around on sand or whether it would slow him down?

If there is anything else you need to know/want to ask please feel free to ask on here or PM me. I know how stressful it can be trying to adjust to a disabled fish. Hopefully Turbz will improve with her medicated food :)

Edited by Black

I forgot to add that a really good thing to do if you're going to go for bare bottom is to wipe down the tank floor every day. I admit there are some days I forget to do this, but it's really important in order to remove any biofilm that builds up because it reduces the bacteria that will cause problems with sores etc. I just use a sponge and it only takes a minute

• Supporter

IMG_20150718_192854709_HDR_zpsl9jm6k9n.j

if you check my picture below, the larger of the two bladders should be on the left and the smaller on the right, i am just holding it the wrong way around. the bladders have had a few minutes exposed to room air, so they have expanded somewhat, you can see how the larger of the two bladder has torn through the membrane which supplies blood to this area which is vital to the swim bladder function. this set of swim bladder, i removed from a healthy but disabled fish. from the xray above, i can tell you that the front swim bladder of your fish is totally deflated and medicine will not help at all. if there was any chance for the swimbladder to become of use, you will be able to see another black spot instead of a white mass. that swim bladder is deflated and in my opinion, can not recover. so, you can choose to medicate, but i really don't think it's going to help. your fish is as healthy and as normal as it's going to get. if it were me, i would choose to just let the fish be.

Dsc_8841_zps52a73cce.jpg

if you check my picture below, the larger of the two bladders should be on the left and the smaller on the right, i am just holding it the wrong way around. the bladders have had a few minutes exposed to room air, so they have expanded somewhat, you can see how the larger of the two bladder has torn through the membrane which supplies blood to this area which is vital to the swim bladder function. this set of swim bladder, i removed from a healthy but disabled fish. from the xray above, i can tell you that the front swim bladder of your fish is totally deflated and medicine will not help at all. if there was any chance for the swimbladder to become of use, you will be able to see another black spot instead of a white mass. that swim bladder is deflated and in my opinion, can not recover. so, you can choose to medicate, but i really don't think it's going to help. your fish is as healthy and as normal as it's going to get. if it were me, i would choose to just let the fish be.

Very interesting information -- thank you, and I will say that unfortunately that is kind of what I was expecting. I think the vet was "hoping" there was maybe an internal infection pushing against the swim bladder causing it to be misshapen, which could clear up with some meds. He didn't get the meds ready for me today anyway, and I can't drive back down there until this weekend, so I can't really do anything about that anyway.

Would you agree with the vet then, that she probably isn't in any pain and could go ahead and live in my tank as a disabled fishy? Also, what would cause a swim bladder to deflate? Is it something I did?? :(

Black, I saw your note about bullying -- she had been in my tank bottom sitting for an extended amount of time before going to QT, and my male Oranda would actually go sit by her from time to time and keep her company (I'm 100% sure he is not bottom sitting as well, don't worry!). So, I'm not so much worried about that with my current crew. I'll see how she does with the sand for the time being, and will switch to bare bottom if it seems to be causing problems.

I figure I should share a bit of input after spending a total of..... $800? overall to try to fix my goldfish's swim bladder. (And mind you... I am a VERY broke college student and literally used the last of my savings to try and help my fish, so I understand money being a problem)

No vet is a miracle worker. And sometimes our fancy fish just have dysfunctional swim bladders.

Me and my vet talked about potentially suturing floats onto my bottom-sitting goldfish, so I agreed since she seemed to not be worried and I figured it would work out well if they could weight it properly.......

well, they did a harness instead without my permission and wound up scrapping most of his scales off. I kept the harness on him for the week to keep him off the bottom and give him time to heal because they ASSURED me that it wouldn't hurt him...... it wound up cutting into his side.

Suna was very happy and healthy on the bottom of the tank, but now he's a scale-less, antibiotic filled fishy while he heals from me being too desperate to "fix" him.

If your vet thinks that your fishy is healthy and she seems comfortable enough on the bottom, just let her be that way. Disabled fish may be doomed to death outside, but indoors in a tank with care they can live out happy lives anyway. To be honest? She could have just "forgotten" how to swim. That's what we think happened to suna, anyway lol.

Edited by fup10k

• Supporter

I figure I should share a bit of input after spending a total of..... $800? overall to try to fix my goldfish's swim bladder. (And mind you... I am a VERY broke college student and literally used the last of my savings to try and help my fish, so I understand money being a problem)

No vet is a miracle worker. And sometimes our fancy fish just have dysfunctional swim bladders.

Me and my vet talked about potentially suturing floats onto my bottom-sitting goldfish, so I agreed since she seemed to not be worried and I figured it would work out well if they could weight it properly.......

well, they did a harness instead without my permission and wound up scrapping most of his scales off. I kept the harness on him for the week to keep him off the bottom and give him time to heal because they ASSURED me that it wouldn't hurt him...... it wound up cutting into his side.

Suna was very happy and healthy on the bottom of the tank, but now he's a scale-less, antibiotic filled fishy while he heals from me being too desperate to "fix" him.

If your vet thinks that your fishy is healthy and she seems comfortable enough on the bottom, just let her be that way. Disabled fish may be doomed to death outside, but indoors in a tank with care they can live out happy lives anyway. To be honest? She could have just "forgotten" how to swim. That's what we think happened to suna, anyway lol.

thank you for your information. i see that you have subscribed to the site. thank you for your support. i have a few questions for you of your experiences with Suma and the process you went through with the Vet. i will send you a PM.

Brianna, I'm so sorry to read what happened to your little Suna :( I hope he recovers soon :hug

Misssmountain, the Black Moor I had at the time used to do the exact same thing! He would sit by Googles periodically but would zoom off when I wanted to take a photo and I got too close. The problems started when the Moor and my other male Oranda started getting their breeding stars and they nudged and bullied Googles constantly. I'm pretty sure Googs is male so I'm uncertain if it was breeding behaviour or not, but it got bad enough that I rehomed the other 2. I didn't have room for a spare tank unfortunately.

Anyways, just something to keep an eye on, just in case.

Which sand do you have?

If Turbz is still enthusiastic about food, can eat unaided, can scoot around on the bottom and is otherwise healthy, I do not believe she is in pain from a deflated swim bladder and see no reason to euthanise. I have been told in the past that it's not necessarily anything we have done that has caused our fish to be this way. Unfortunately fancies do not have an ideal body shape and are prone to this kind of thing. You obviously take good care of your fish and want to do the best by them. Please don't feel bad :hug

Brianna, I'm so sorry to read what happened to your little Suna :( I hope he recovers soon :hug

Misssmountain, the Black Moor I had at the time used to do the exact same thing! He would sit by Googles periodically but would zoom off when I wanted to take a photo and I got too close. The problems started when the Moor and my other male Oranda started getting their breeding stars and they nudged and bullied Googles constantly. I'm pretty sure Googs is male so I'm uncertain if it was breeding behaviour or not, but it got bad enough that I rehomed the other 2. I didn't have room for a spare tank unfortunately.

Anyways, just something to keep an eye on, just in case.

Which sand do you have?

Yes, Brianna, thank you for sharing about Suna and I'm sorry it's been such an ordeal. I hope he is recovering as best as he possibly can!

Black -- so funny. I came home tonight and Turbz was in the corner, and little Boogie was snuggling right up next to her. I was on the phone with my boyfriend and I was like, "omg, they look like two pieces of sushi!" Lol. I will try to get a pic for sure. I'm pretty sure Boogie is the only male and the other 3 are girls. One is a confirmed female. Turbz and the other one I have not proven as females yet, but judging by their behavior with my confirmed male (and body shape, lack of breeding stars, etc), I'm convinced beyond a reasonable doubt :)

And yeah, if there is a problem down the line I'm afraid someone would have to go...I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment and work two jobs at the moment, so I just wouldn't have the time or the space for another setup. I'm at my tank capacity for the moment!

The sand I got from the pet store and it's black...so I'm guessing it's the fancy sand? Bummer.

Turbz was shipped to me from Michigan in January. In October I was in town visiting family when I fell in love with her at the pet store. She showed SBD symptoms then, so I was aware of it when I inquired about shipping. At the time, my tank was smaller, and I just couldn't justify all of the $$$ to upgrade the tank (even though that was on my radar anyway) AND ship the fish all at once. Since she had those SBD issues, I figured it may be for the best anyway as I could potentially be getting in over my head. Then, my boyfriend surprised me for christmas with a new tank and the fish. The store we got her from had said her SBD was improving at the time, and it's pretty much been up and down since then. I can't really say I'm surprised by all of this, I guess. Unfortunately. :(

I remember when I first met her at the store and I was chatting with one of the employees about the SBD, and she said, "That's kind of the thing with goldfish -- the 'fancier' they get, the more issues they tend to have." And sure enough -- Turbz is ridiculous looking and has a bunch of problems, Mamba my Oranda also looks ridiculous and has some issues, and the other two -- although they are still a bit smaller, and not as impressive to look at, are doing great for the most part! I guess it's just part of what you sign up for. Maybe I'll lean towards the less crazy, exaggerated looking fish in the future! lol

Turbz is still excited about food, and I have caught her swimming a bit here and there. She doesn't get much higher than about 6-10", and usually can only do a lap before sinking back down, but it makes me feel better about the whole thing when I see that :)

The vet never called me about my meds to say they were ready for pick-up, either. I wasn't super optimistic in the first place that they would do much good, plus it's a LONG drive down to the vet's office that I can't say I was too excited to make, but I do wish they would have made good on their word and had them ready for me. Oh well.