Sign in to follow this  
Anna-Katharina Parsons

Blue Ninja is dropsied

Blue Ninja my Betta is dropsied and in really bad shape :(

We left for a weekend trip two days ago. Did a waterchange on all my aquariums and fed the fish before we did.

But couldn't find Blue Ninja. When we got back late last night he was still hiding. Very unusual for him.

This evening he was still hiding under the coconut.

So I prepared a qt and moved him into it. Now at a closer look I realised he had dropsied. :(

I don't have metromeds or Maracyn II but I have a range of powder antibiotics and added metrodizanole and triple sulfa.

I have also added a tiny bit of Epsom salt.

Is there anything else I can do?

I know these things don't generally end well for Betta's.

At the moment he's lying I one of the floating plants I have put into his qt and basically barely moving except for a hint of gill movement.

I have also added the wood and set the thermometer up so that he can lie on top of it.

I've read they can have trouble staying at the surface to breath when dropsied.

Can you please fill out the D&D form when you have a chance, so we can have a better picture of how to help you? Some images or video of him would also be very useful.

Clean, warm water and no salinity is a best solution in the meantime. When filling out the form please include which meds you have dosed and the quantity and duration of treatment thus far :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level (tank):
    • * Nitrite Level (tank)
    • * Nitrate level (Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
    • * Nitrate level (Tap)
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Tank information:

• * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH)
      • * Additives and conditioners: API stressrelief
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 28C - 30C
      • * Last water change date: Saturday 06/07/15
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 9
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 betta, 5 golden tetras, 1 shrimp
      • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often?  once a week, full tank

• * Any new fish added into the tank: nope
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined? -
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): -
  • * List prior health issues in tank: cory cats suddenly died
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: none
  • * Medications on hand: Metradizanole, Triple Sulfa, Furan 2,E.M, Epsom, salt
Affected fish information:

• * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding:Sera Betta pellets
  • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: bottom sitting, hiding, not eating
  • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: no
  • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: just the betta
  • * Current medications being used on affected fish: first day of treatment with triple sulfa, metradizanole and epsom
  • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: none / never
  • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:)
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

The photos are fine . . .

I would dose Epsom at 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons, metro at 100 mg per 10 gallons and triple sulfa dosed per package directions.  

Good luck with him.  And I love the name.  :teehee

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) I think I need to get a new test. This one is 2 years old and the nitrate bottle was nearly empty. Because the solution is yellow and I'm normally always in the red (40-80ppm).
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) see above
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7

Edit: I'll get a new test kit tomorrow.

Edited by Dandelion Blue

Thank you both for your response.

Lisa. That's pretty much what I have done. Except that I've put far less Epsom. so I can maybe up that.

Edit: Just noticed you wrote per 10 gallon. So actually I won't add more. I'm going to stay on the conservative side for now.

Edited by Dandelion Blue

Keep us posted as to how BN is doing. I hope we can resolve this with a happy ending, you're in good hands with Lisa :)

If you haven't already go ahead and do the full epsom amount Lisa recommended. He will be a little better for getting pressure off his organs.

Just got home. And he's swimming about a littele. But still dropsied. All his scales are still raised.

I'm going to do his waterchange and dose the epsom as Lisa suggested, as well as the medecine.

Am I best taking him out of the tank and doing a full waterchange (as I do in qt with my goldfish) or will that stress him too much?

Just did his waterchange. And ended up taking him out. Didn't want to stress him with temperature changes. He's been swimming around a bit, but he's not looking good

It is really difficult to treat a betta with dropsy.  :(  It's definitely worth trying though.  :hug

Hi. Just checking in. He's still hanging on to life, but still prickled up today.

I know It's very difficult (near impossible) to cure it.

But I'm just not ready to give up hope just yet

Keeping the water clean and using the Epsom are good moves. I'd just keep him in during the water change but I'm lazy like that!

Hey Guys. Still no change. He's still prickled up. He is reactive to our presence and will swim around in the morning and in the evening. He is blowing bubblenests for some reason (just a bit). But still prickly as a pinecone. I'm worried this is torture for him.

If he is still swimming a bit and blowing bubble nests he is probably not too uncomfortable. Is his color good or pale and blanched? Does he show stress bars along his flanks?

If you want to discontinue treatment and euthanize him we can help you with that. It's really your choice if you want to keep treating or put him to sleep.

:grouphug:

Hey Arctic Mana. I'd rather not give up hope just yet. As I said he has Bern doing a bit of swimming. Although he was more active yesterday. He's also not been eating since last Friday :( He's not really blanched and he always has some white but he's not quite as bright as usual. I'm not sure what stress bars are. I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning. :(

If he is moving and eating I'd consider that a positive sign he is responding to medication. Keep us posted as to how he is doing. The antibiotics should be administered for a two weeks course.

Hi Guys,

Well very sadly little ninja passed away today. :(

He was a wonderful little fish. Active, Friendly, always up for a chat.

He built a huge bubblenest before leaving this world.

RIP Little guy

I'm sorry he passed! You did your best :grouphug: