Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Documenting an injury (a warning? pics are kinda gross)

Yesterday I had a nice mishap after a water change. Forgot to put the intakes back on the filter before starting it up. :doh11:

One of my small telescope fish made it in and through to the impeller. I'm not sure for how long but i would guess (and most certainly hope) that it was only for a few seconds.

He's looking pretty rough, but is hanging in there. Eating and pooping, but is obviously not very happy.

He is currently in a 20 long QT with an airstone and 0.1% salt. I just want to have this here to keep track of any changes i make, his progress, and in case things should take a turn.

This was right after:

20150704_134059_HDR.jpg

And just now

20150705_192853_HDR.jpg

And a crappy video.

F

Just a note - i don't plan to handle him anymore for pics but wanted clear shots to start with.

Edited by jenzaar

Just a thought . . .  I'd try and locate some Furan 2 (shouldn't be too difficult) just in case we need to treat that external wound.

:bighug

Thanks Lisa! :D Yes i know where i can get some, will try to pick it up tomorrow.. Unless i already have it, forget what's in stock. :teehee

OH Jenzaar, I'm so sorry.  Hope your little one makes it with lots of TLC  :tou

OH Jenzaar, I'm so sorry. Hope your little one makes it with lots of TLC :tou

Thanks! :)

Ouch ouch! That's intense. I agree something inhibitory is a good idea just to protect the healing flesh and fins from bacteria and fungus. Accidents happen to all of us, but fish can be surprisingly resilient :grouphug

Edited by Arctic Mama

Sorry Jenna. Orbs lost an eye about 2 weeks ago to the same accident. I was messing with the filter and the intake must have come loose. Next thing I know, Orbs was missing an eye. He's doing fantastic with just clean water. Hope your little guy heals just as quickly.

Ouch ouch! That's intense. I agree something inhibitory is a good idea just to protect the healing flesh and fins from bacteria and fungus. Accidents happen to all of us, but fish can be surprisingly resilient :grouphug

Sorry Jenna. Orbs lost an eye about 2 weeks ago to the same accident. I was messing with the filter and the intake must have come loose. Next thing I know, Orbs was missing an eye. He's doing fantastic with just clean water. Hope your little guy heals just as quickly.

Oh no! Poor Orbs! But I'm glad he's healing well :hug

So sorry, Jenna! Hope it heals without any issues :hug

:( I hope Nemo is doing ok :hug

Ouchies

hope he recovers without issues

that tail wont regenerate will it?

Hope he is recovering, Jenna.  Thanks for documenting his progress.  These threads are very helpful for others.

Ouchies

We will see. I'm really not sure which way it will go, but I think that it could. The peduncle wasn't taken off, and there are still some fin rays, so i do have some hope that it could regrow.

There is a member whose fish lost a huge part of its tail due to a disease or parasite (some time ago, but we got an update a few months back), and now it looks perfectly fine. Different scenarios, but it's something. :)

Hope he is recovering, Jenna. Thanks for documenting his progress. These threads are very helpful for others.

Thanks, Susanne. :hug

Ouchies

We will see. I'm really not sure which way it will go, but I think that it could. The peduncle wasn't taken off, and there are still some fin rays, so i do have some hope that it could regrow.

There is a member whose fish lost a huge part of its tail due to a disease or parasite (some time ago, but we got an update a few months back), and now it looks perfectly fine. Different scenarios, but it's something. :)

fingers crossed,lets hope for the best then :)

Like his spirit though, in the video

My I also Suggest getting Some Silver too...Its amazing with injuries.... Min of 500 PPM :)

I have a far-out suggestion.  Very clean water helps heal extensive surface injuries.  People claim miracle cures of almost everything with a flow-through system.  Flow through means you have a continuous stream of water coming into the fish tank and a continuous stream going out.  The tank becomes like a spring-fed stream, and can be very small.

You could create a primitive flow-through system with a large container of clean water siphoning into the tank and a large container to catch water siphoning out of the tank. 

I have a far-out suggestion. Very clean water helps heal extensive surface injuries. People claim miracle cures of almost everything with a flow-through system. Flow through means you have a continuous stream of water coming into the fish tank and a continuous stream going out. The tank becomes like a spring-fed stream, and can be very small.

You could create a primitive flow-through system with a large container of clean water siphoning into the tank and a large container to catch water siphoning out of the tank.

Cool! Well this seems like a good opportunity to test it all out! I have a 5 gallon bucket (clean water in) and a 10g tank (dirty water out) that i could start messing around with.

How much do you think should be replaced throughout the day? I think my biggest thing would be replenishing the new water container when I'm not home, but of course i could just put it on pause for when i have to leave.

I need to run to petsmart soon anyway so let me know if you can think of stuff i might need to get it going. :D

My I also Suggest getting Some Silver too...Its amazing with injuries.... Min of 500 PPM :)

I'll see what i can find! Wondered if i should have some. Edited by jenzaar

I think the idea is to turnover something like 100% of the water per hour for true "flow-through,"  but much less will still keep the fish in very clean water.  This makes a small container for the fish very desirable.   

You can actually connect a series of buckets with siphon hoses to hold whatever volume of water you want -- messy but functional.  All you really need is containers and hose.

You need to look out for situations in which the fish container can empty, or a discharge container can overflow.  If the tops of all of the containers are at the same level,  and the hoses are secured in place, gravity  will take care of this.

:idea: i can get bins that will fit under the big tank. They can only be as tall as the QT tank, right?

20150706_111454_HDR.jpg

Space is limited, but i can figure something out, maybe. :rofl

This may all just fizzle but i do like the idea of a continuous water flow. :)

cool idea!  Let me know how it goes, or if you need help building it. :)

I hope he's doing better today.

Thanks! I just might :D

OMG, I looked at that beautiful floor and my stomach did flip-flops at the thought of moving water between containers.  I don't suppose you have a laundry room or a mud room where you could test it out more safely.  

As long as the tops of the containers are even you won't get an overflow.  You will get the most rapid flow-through if the clean water tank is taller than the others.  In this case, as long as the volume of the waste tank is larger than the clean water tank,  the system will only overflow if you forget to empty the waste tank before you refill the clean water tank, or if the siphon between the fish tank and the waste tank clogs.  

OMG, I looked at that beautiful floor and my stomach did flip-flops at the thought of moving water between containers.  I don't suppose you have a laundry room or a mud room where you could test it out more safely.  

As long as the tops of the containers are even you won't get an overflow.  You will get the most rapid flow-through if the clean water tank is taller than the others.  In this case, as long as the volume of the waste tank is larger than the clean water tank,  the system will only overflow if you forget to empty the waste tank before you refill the clean water tank, or if the siphon between the fish tank and the waste tank clogs.  

:rofl

Nope! I can take a bunch of stuff outside or to the kitchen and play around though.

That makes it much simpler (and safer) being able to use different sized containers. I will do a little thinking (not researching, I decided. I'd be more overwhelmed than if I just went by trial and error) and see what I can come up with. :D

So sorry to here about your tele's accident. Healing vibes to him!

Edited by LisaCGold