Help- should I get rid of these snails

Thanks

Will get rid if them

Hmm should I squish them and add them back as a source of ammonia ;)

And why oh why do these guys survive in an uncycled tank.

They don't bother me so I just leave them. Never seen them eat healthy plants either, they tend to go for decaying stuff.

I have them in my 10 gal. betta tank, & they just mosey around & eat dead plant material, they don't seem to bother live leaves. I suck out lots every week when I vacuum the gravel, so they never seem to get out of control. Any I tossed in with the goldfish when they were in an outdoor tub always got eaten.

I got one that hitchhiked in on a plant ... how it survived the bleach treatment, I don't know! He also survived growing up in my goldfish tank, despite my goldfish taking turns trying to eat him and spitting him out. He grew fairly large and lived for about a year before dying a few months ago ... Waldo was a great snail! :)

Edit: it's hard to tell based on their size currently, but mine was a Ramshorn snail. They commonly come in on plants.

Edited by *Amanda*

I leave them because my fish gobble them up for a snack

They don't bother me so I just leave them. Never seen them eat healthy plants either, they tend to go for decaying stuff.

I have them in my 10 gal. betta tank, & they just mosey around & eat dead plant material, they don't seem to bother live leaves. I suck out lots every week when I vacuum the gravel, so they never seem to get out of control. Any I tossed in with the goldfish when they were in an outdoor tub always got eaten.

I kind of like them, lol They can be a pest if you don't like them because you tend to get so many but personally I like them.

I got one that hitchhiked in on a plant ... how it survived the bleach treatment, I don't know! He also survived growing up in my goldfish tank, despite my goldfish taking turns trying to eat him and spitting him out. He grew fairly large and lived for about a year before dying a few months ago ... Waldo was a great snail! :)

Edit: it's hard to tell based on their size currently, but mine was a Ramshorn snail. They commonly come in on plants.

Thank you all

I guess I panicked :)

I thought they would breed like rabbits and would be harmful to goldfish

All good, thanks again.

Should I be quarantining plants in future to minimise the chances of snails?

I've added many plants to my tank and only ever got the one snail. I've never quarantined plants; just the 1-minute bleach treatment. It's up to you if you want to QT, but keep in mind that most snails come in as eggs on the plants and it could be a long time before the snails become large enough for you to see. In my case, I think it was 2 months after I added the plants that I first noticed the snail, and he was super tiny. If it were me, I wouldn't QT the plants and just allow the goldfish to eat the snails.

In my experience snails won't survive a bleach treatment, but their eggs tend to. If you are getting bigger leaved plants, I usually give them an inspection and remove any eggs manually (little gelatinous looking blobs).

If I were to hazard a guess then perhaps a bladder snail

I've added many plants to my tank and only ever got the one snail. I've never quarantined plants; just the 1-minute bleach treatment. It's up to you if you want to QT, but keep in mind that most snails come in as eggs on the plants and it could be a long time before the snails become large enough for you to see. In my case, I think it was 2 months after I added the plants that I first noticed the snail, and he was super tiny. If it were me, I wouldn't QT the plants and just allow the goldfish to eat the snails.

In my experience snails won't survive a bleach treatment, but their eggs tend to. If you are getting bigger leaved plants, I usually give them an inspection and remove any eggs manually (little gelatinous looking blobs).

what is the one minute bleach treatment?

Must look it up

what is the one minute bleach treatment?

Must look it up

A bleach dip for plants is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Submerge plants for a couple of minutes, pull out and rinse well with water and Prime. Some plants don't like bleach though and other methods need to be used. ;)