Betta Tankmates

Bob47

Good tank mates for bettas isn't really going to sum anything up it depends on your bettas personality and also what size tank you have, does it have lots of hiding places etc.

what size tank do you have?? This will dictate how many species and amount of fish you can have then we can move on from there :) I hope it makes sense and doesn't come across as arrogant or angry or something like that as if it does it isn't intentional ;)

from what I've read if you do get a placid betta they theoretically could live peacefully

more often than not the male betta could mistake the colourful tail fins of a male guppy as that of another betta!

also is it male and female guppies or only males :)

It does depend on the betta and the set up but some possibilities include dwarf frogs, neon tetras, shrimp, cory cats and snails.  I have one betta in planted tank with glow light tetras and it seems to be going really well.  The glow light tetras seem to not bother the betta.  Sometimes you have to watch what you put with a betta because they will pick on him.  Then I have one betta with a ramshorn snail in a heavily planted little 5 gallon tank and in the beginning the betta would occasionally flare at the poor little snail :undecided: It just depends :)

It does depend on the betta and the set up but some possibilities include dwarf frogs, neon tetras, shrimp, cory cats and snails.  I have one betta in planted tank with glow light tetras and it seems to be going really well.  The glow light tetras seem to not bother the betta.  Sometimes you have to watch what you put with a betta because they will pick on him.  Then I have one betta with a ramshorn snail in a heavily planted little 5 gallon tank and in the beginning the betta would occasionally flare at the poor little snail :undecided: It just depends :)

Lizam

with a 26L tank what would be my possible options

not to keen on frogs or snails atm

Which leaves me with only shrimp as I think my space is too litte for tetras?

My betta has quite a few tank mates, but he's in a 100 litre tank with lots of places for him (or other fish) to relax. He was very aggressive when I first got him, but after a few months mellowed dramatically and eventually I decided to add more fish. I started off small, watched to see how he got on and added from there. Sometimes he'll shoo something away, but only if they're somewhere where he wants to rest.

I wouldn't combine bettas and guppies.

Docians, look into rasbora brigittae (chili rasbora) or spotted blue eyes. I have both in 20 litre tanks. The spotted blue eyes are a native fish, very elegant, but their colours are only noticeable up close. You can get them from Aquagreen, they breed them and a portion of all sales goes back to the Aboriginal land holder where the original stock was collected. :)

My betta has quite a few tank mates, but he's in a 100 litre tank with lots of places for him (or other fish) to relax. He was very aggressive when I first got him, but after a few months mellowed dramatically and eventually I decided to add more fish. I started off small, watched to see how he got on and added from there. Sometimes he'll shoo something away, but only if they're somewhere where he wants to rest.

Docians, look into rasbora brigittae (chili rasbora) or spotted blue eyes. I have both in 20 litre tanks. The spotted blue eyes are a native fish, very elegant, but their colours are only noticeable up close. You can get them from Aquagreen, they breed them and a portion of all sales goes back to the Aboriginal land holder where the original stock was collected. :)

I have had three male bettas and I had them with male and female guppies and one of them was fairly aggressive and chased the tetras around a bit and did stand offs with my angelfish but never went after the guppies long flowing tails and another one of my bettas hated platies but a specific one and bit of her tail but was also fine with guppies so he could get away with guppies even if there are males in the tank :)

Both look lovely

Are they compatible with betas?

If they are how many of these could I have.

Still can't get my head around aquagreen being able to send plants/ fish but the chaps at the airport will ask me to dump my apples :)

I have blue eyes with my betta, not sure if I'd keep them together in a smaller tank though because they occupy similar parts of the tank. The blue eyes will swim all over, but spend a lot of time in the top 1/3 of the tank. The chili rasbora might be a bit small to keep with a betta. They only grow to 2cm long.

Interstate quarantine is pretty lax in my experience, especially via auspost or a courier. Usually they only screen for things like anthrax and chemical weapons.

I have blue eyes with my betta, not sure if I'd keep them together in a smaller tank though because they occupy similar parts of the tank. The blue eyes will swim all over, but spend a lot of time in the top 1/3 of the tank. The chili rasbora might be a bit small to keep with a betta. They only grow to 2cm long.

Interstate quarantine is pretty lax in my experience, especially via auspost or a courier. Usually they only screen for things like anthrax and chemical weapons.

I have never heard of blue eyes but those are pretty, without being so flashy that a betta might see it immediately as a threat.

I think you have enough space Bob to put 5 or under small fish in there.  At least if does not end up working, they could probably be put in with your guppies and be fine. :)

Edited by lizam