Sign in to follow this  
lizam

Rain Garden Goldfish Quarantine Procedure

So I am excited to say in one week exactly I will be crossing the boarder and picking up two orandas from Rain Garden at Fed Ex 2 hours away from me. I thought this would happen in more like a year from now but my partner is very supportive after seeing my two little charming and engaging orandas, Jadzia & Cherub - one from Walmart and one from Petsmart.  He then saw the pictures of Rain Garden's Orandas and agreed we have to have a couple of them :pease: I am so excited! 

I followed the quarantine procedures with both my little duo and both benefited immensley.  Jadzia recovered from ich and some kind of intestinal bacterial infection and Cherub from amonia burns.

I have read about quarantine procedures from here, other sources, and from Steve from Rain Garden.  My tank and aqua clears are seeded and cycled.  My water changer is ready!  But I guess my questions are:

1. Should I put the new orandas in a salt solution of .1 right away, as soon as I bring them home? Or should I give it a couple days or more?
  2. Do I need to do the prazi treatment with them?

I asked Steve their ages and one is just over a year and the other is just over 2 years.  They are older and I'm not sure what effect this has on quarantine and changes in their environment.  I also know he is a reputable breeder so they were well taken care of before I recieve them.  But after travelling so far, the expense, and all the effort, i really want to do the right and best things for the the two beauties.

Follow whatever QT procedure Steve recommends . . . . 

Follow whatever QT procedure Steve recommends . . . . 

Okay thanks :) 

For Fish Purchased From A Reputable Source:
This is for fish that come from a source that you consider safe and reputable. The vendor may have a long history of good feedback and/or the other fish at the store you purchased your fish at appeared to all be in good health.

• 1.) Keep tank lights off most of the time for the first 1-2 days You may even want to cover the tank with a towel or blanket and only turn on lights when necessary. The darkness will help your fish de-stress.
  • 2.) Raise salt to .3% for at least 1 week
  • Please see link on salt above when choosing a safe salt to use. Remember to completely dissolve salt before adding it to the tank.
  • Raise salt by .1% every 12 hours until you reach .3%
  • .1% = 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon if you are using a coarse grain salt and ¾ teaspoon per gallon if you are using a fine grained salt. For increased accuracy, use a digital scale to weigh out 1 mg of salt per liter of water
  • 3.) Begin daily water changes
    • Remember to add back in the amount of salt you take out during water changes. For example, if you have a 10 gallon tank that has 30 teaspoons of salt in it, you will need to add back in 15 teaspoons if you do a 50% water change
  • 4.) Observe your fish for any obvious signs of illness Symptoms to watch for include bottom sitting, flashing/darting, fin flicking, yawning, obvious external parasites such anchor worm, white spots on fins/body, white stringy poop, raised scales, refusal of food etc. If you have any concerns, please post in the Diagnosis and Discussion section of the forum for assistance http://www.kokosgold...sis-treatments/ThiskI

I guess I am confused because Steve doesn't recommend salt treatment...just water changes but from this site it is recommended you do use salt (see above).

Edited by lizam

Most breeders have a QT procedure that you must follow or else you will void any warranty/guarantee so we recommend you follow his instruction so as to not void the warranty.   If any issues arise during the warranty time, I'd contact the seller.  Once the fish is beyond the warranty/guarantee period you can QT as you see fit.   :D

Make sense?  :idont

Here is the Rain Garden quarantine procedure.

Steve assumes his fish are perfectly healthy on arrival  --  almost always the case.  (The fish may exhibit signs of stress for a few days.) Thus he regards the quarantine period as a time for the fish to get used to your water and temperatures, and to slowly expose the new fish to the parasites and bacteria carried by your fish.  

He does a parasite treatment before he ships, which should have killed adult parasites on the fish.  I don't know what the treatment is, but I would recommend a couple of rounds of prazi during quarantine to catch any flukes that might have been too immature to be sensitive to his treatment.  There is no reason to use salt for this treatment.

I would recommend the full four rounds of Prazi. But other than that not much else.

I would recommend the full four rounds of Prazi. But other than that not much else.

Most breeders have a QT procedure that you must follow or else you will void any warranty/guarantee so we recommend you follow his instruction so as to not void the warranty.   If any issues arise during the warranty time, I'd contact the seller.  Once the fish is beyond the warranty/guarantee period you can QT as you see fit.   :D

Make sense?   :idont

Here is the Rain Garden quarantine procedure.

Steve assumes his fish are perfectly healthy on arrival  --  almost always the case.  (The fish may exhibit signs of stress for a few days.) Thus he regards the quarantine period as a time for the fish to get used to your water and temperatures, and to slowly expose the new fish to the parasites and bacteria carried by your fish.  

He does a parasite treatment before he ships, which should have killed adult parasites on the fish.  I don't know what the treatment is, but I would recommend a couple of rounds of prazi during quarantine to catch any flukes that might have been too immature to be sensitive to his treatment.  There is no reason to use salt for this treatment.

Yes that all makes sense.  Thanks so very much :)  Did I mention how excited I am!!!! :greenbanana:  :redbanana:  :carrot:

Edited by lizam