Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishMaiden

Starting Fresh? Please Help very urgent!

Here recently my goldfish past away

So, I took a break from keeping goldfish, but I just now wanted to get back into keeping them so I went online to my favorite place to order good quality goldfish (River Garden Nursery). I ended up ordering a ryukin from them and will be shipped to me Monday morning and I have had this 20 gallon long aquarium set up with a sun set 600 filter and was wondering if that would be suitable for a quarantine tank for a few months so I can collect money to buy a bigger one?  Please help me out I want to do right with this new little guy I'm getting.. (By the way the goldfish is pretty young and is only 4 inches from head the the start of the tail.)

Edited by GoldfishMaiden

:hi I'm sorry for your loss :hug

a 20 gallon would be a good forever home if you wanted to just keep the one ryukin. However, you may feel the tank might be getting small and want to upgrade eventually anyway. But for now, that would be an excellent home for him.

do you mean a sunsun filter? I have never heard nor can I find the filter you have online.

Thanks you so much and yes I meant sunsun canister filter I purchased it off of eBay it seems to work very well I have had it set up for a few months and it seems to work well.

That size is fine for one Ryukin, but I'd consider it a QT tank instead of a permanent home unless you're positive you don't want more fish. The Petco Dollar Per Gallon sale is going on rightnow, and you can get a 40 gallon tank very inexpensively :)

The Sunsun canisters are fine filters! I have two and they work great. One is just fine for a goldfish provided you keep up on maintenance and don't neglect to clean them of debris and mulm every month (more frequently is better, but one monthly is more realistic).

Edited by Arctic Mama

That size is fine for one Ryukin, but I'd consider it a QT tank instead of a permanent home unless you're positive you don't want more fish. The Petco Dollar Per Gallon sale is going on rightnow, and you can get a 40 gallon tank very inexpensively :)

The Sunsun canisters are fine filters! I have two and they work great. One is just fine for a goldfish provided you keep up on maintenance and don't neglect to clean them of debris and mulm every month (more frequently is better, but one monthly is more realistic).

Thanks you so much, I don't really have a petco in my area but I'm raising money to get a 55 gallon tanks from my local petsmart.. Always wondering what are the right aquarium water test kit should be?

Thanks you so much, I don't really have a petco in my area but I'm raising money to get a 55 gallon tanks from my local petsmart.. Always wondering what are the right aquarium water test kit should be?

The API Master Kit (it uses liquid drops) is very reliable, and it will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. 

The API Master Kit (it uses liquid drops) is very reliable, and it will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.

I need to know what should the range be in each section

I need to know what should the range be in each section

For all fish, ammonia and nitrites should be zero. When you're cycling you'll first see spikes in ammonia and then nitrite that can be mitigated by water changes and, to a small extent, Seachem Prime water conditioner. For goldfish in particular, nitrates should be under 20 ppm. pH should be on the basic side (so should be above 7) and can go up to over 8... though I am not too sure about how much over 8 would be OK. My tank is frequently at 8 and sometimes 8.2 and the fish do not mind--the important thing is that your tap and tank pHs should be within .2 of each other at the most. Otherwise, you'll need to use a buffer like baking soda to raise the tap pH. 

Here is a thread about buffering: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

Here is a thread about the nitrogen cycle, in case it is helpful, though it seems you've had fish before, of course! http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/109351-the-nitrogen-cycle/

You can get the API Freshwater Master Kit on Amazon for a modest price.

Unless the pH of your tap water is below 7 or changes substantially after you have it in the tank, you needn't worry about it.  

We usually recommend the pH of the tap and tank be within 0.5 pH units.

What you need to do is :

1. Get a test kit.

2. Test your tank and tap water.

3. Report your results here.  

We need all of this information to help.  For example, the ammonia concentration tolerated by your fish depends on the pH.

Since you will be cycling with a fish, you should have Seachem Prime and be ready to do lots of water changes.

There's no Petco where I live, either. I feel so left out every time the dollar per gallon sale rolls around! :rofl However, Petsmart has some great deals on their "package" tanks. They have both bowfront and rectangular tanks. These come with the tank, hood, light and filter (which is always too small for the tank for some odd reason, but they did let me exchange it for a bigger size for only the difference in cost ... either that or it would make a great filter for a QT or second tank).

Another option is Craigslist. I got a fantastic 50 gal bowfront tank with a stand and many other extras for half of retail price, and it was in great condition. There are always a lot of tanks available on CL. I just had to drive to the Bay Area to get it since I'm in a small town that had much fewer listings, but the drive was well worth the reward!

Edit: Also, you can buy the API Master Test Kit online for around half what Petsmart charges.

Edited by *Amanda*

Good luck finding a great deal!  I would go thru local ads you may find a great used tank with all the extras for a steal!  I have even a time or two seen people just GIVING them away!!!