Fantail Goldfish

Bob47

I actually really want a panda goldfish someday because it will probably lose its black coloring eventually. Color changes are on of the most exciting parts about goldfish keeping. It can happen slowly or quickly and you can end up with a completely different looking fish in the end.

Virtually all goldfish varieties attain the same average size.   The exceptions are some of those that have so many mutations that they don't grow well.   Within any variety of goldfish you will find a wide range of adult sizes.

By size I mean the volume or mass of the fish.  Among fish of the same size you have  long and slender varieties, some short and fat, some very short and very fat.  However these fish all need the same amount of water since they all produce the same amount of waste.

Assuming the fancy has a simple double tail, its swimming speed depends on the length of the tail.  Shorter tails result in more speed.

Swimming speed has little to do with who gets to the food first.   When I had a tank with some comets and four small  fancies,  the first one to the food was always the little pearlscale, the slowest swimmer in the tank.  She observed me coming, knew where I usually dropped the food and was there with her mouth open.

I have fantails with my black moor and no problems.  However I did have to move Googlies my tele back to the pond. Mostly cause she is so small and scared of all the other goldfish.  S/he hide all the time. I am hoping when I have to bring Googlies back in s/he well be big enough not to be scared of the other fish.

This is very weird ... I went to edit my post to add a bit about color and size, and it got deleted completely! I will try to summarize what I had written below:

Black is a relatively unstable color. I've never had a panda, but in both my black moor and my red-and-black butterfly, the black disappeared completely within a year, leaving me with two red fish. [emoji4] The only fish that retained their black in my tanks were calicos. I think higher temperature may accelerate black loss - my fish started losing his black rapidly when the temp spiked to the 80s; it was quite remarkable! However, I have heard that very well-bred (and very expensive) goldfish may maintain their black better.

Regarding size, I have noticed little difference among my fancies. I think size is based more on the individual fish and feeding than the variety.

And as for quickness of swimming/finding food, my fantail is the fastest (with my telescopes a close second). However, none of my other fish have any difficulty competing with him to get enough food. I have had at one point or another nearly all of the fancy varieties - I strongly prefer a "mixed" tank over a tank containing all one variety. [emoji4] The only fish who ever had any trouble finding food was a celestial eye. These fish have eyes that point straight upward, while other varieties at least have peripheral vision that allows them to easily locate food (smell plays a large role as well). The celestial eye would lunge at a pellet and miss ... over and over again. It looked like he was bobbing for apples!

Edited by *Amanda*

That helps clarify things.

I had read somewhere that we should not keep commons with fancies as they are quicker and get food before the fancies realised that dinner was served

Unless of course you are a clever pearl scale

I assumed the same would apply to fan tails if they were better swimmers :)

Edited by docians

• Supporter

I've heard so many people say not to keep comets/commons with fancies because they'll beat them to the food....but I have a comet with my fancies and they all get theirshare of food, I have a comet, Orandas, fantails and teles and none of them have trouble getting food :)

I had a Panda Moor once, he started out with really bold black, but within a month he was completely white

I have a bunch of  comets that were fall babies in a kiddie pool.  I have a few dozen spring baby fancies that I rescued from various containers of waste water.  I moved a couple of the larger fancies -- ~3/4" sl -- into the kiddie pool.  Now, 2-3 weeks later, they have doubled in length and are catching up to the smaller of the comets.  

I had read somewhere that we should not keep commons with fancies as they are quicker and get food before the fancies realised that dinner was served

I have heard this a lot too, and it's very silly IMHO. Goldfish will find a way to get food, no matter what! Many people on this forum have kept single tails with fancies without issue. I have a single-tailed fry, and while he is faster than the rest, that does not mean that he scoops up all the food before the others even have a chance. Just distribute the food evenly across the tank, and everyone will get their share.

Even sillier is the idea that telescopes should never be kept with other fancies, and only with other telescopes or bubble eyes because they are so inept at finding food. My telescopes would beg to differ! :rofl I think people look at the oddly shaped eyes and make an assumption that they would starve in a tank with regular-eyed fish.

I have heard this a lot too, and it's very silly IMHO. Goldfish will find a way to get food, no matter what! Many people on this forum have kept single tails with fancies without issue. I have a single-tailed fry, and while he is faster than the rest, that does not mean that he scoops up all the food before the others even have a chance. Just distribute the food evenly across the tank, and everyone will get their share.

Even sillier is the idea that telescopes should never be kept with other fancies, and only with other telescopes or bubble eyes because they are so inept at finding food. My telescopes would beg to differ! :rofl I think people look at the oddly shaped eyes and make an assumption that they would starve in a tank with regular-eyed fish.

Thanks again, good to know

I've heard so many people say not to keep comets/commons with fancies because they'll beat them to the food....but I have a comet with my fancies and they all get theirshare of food, I have a comet, Orandas, fantails and teles and none of them have trouble getting food :)

I had a Panda Moor once, he started out with really bold black, but within a month he was completely white

Wow he aged that quick.

• 5 months later...