New to QT... Protocol?

Just got this bad boy and I've got a couple of questions about QTing him.

I have salt, heater, and liquid Prazi. Should I treat in any particular order to reduce stress?

Or, should I not treat for anything unless I see symptoms?

And, how long should I QT?

http://vid1025.photobucket.com/albums/y317/Miss__Goldie/20150702_105154_zpsxwllzond.mp4

I treat all my fish with prazi whether I see symptoms or not.  You can be just about sure the fish has flukes whether or not they show symptoms.

For my QT, I do 2 weeks of salt only at 0.3% then 3-4 rounds of prazi with 0.1% salt.   :D

Oooooh nice fish BTW.  :nana

Wooaaahhh that fish! It's amaaazziinnggg :druel: :thud

Congrats, and good luck!!

I treat all my fish with prazi whether I see symptoms or not.  You can be just about sure the fish has flukes whether or not they show symptoms.

For my QT, I do 2 weeks of salt only at 0.3% then 3-4 rounds of prazi with 0.1% salt.   :D

Oooooh nice fish BTW.   :nana

Should I add heat too? Just curious, why do you wait two weeks to add the Prazi?

Thank you everyone for the complements! I saw him and had to strike. Drop dead gorgeous. His harem awaits...  :ehh

I only add heat if I see ich.

0.3% salt will take care of many nasties :o (including ich, along with heat if ich appears). If other illnesses are present, they will likely appear during those first couple of weeks. In that case, depending on what is wrong, we may hold off the Prazi treatment until the other illness is under control.

However, if they breeze through the first couple of weeks without a problem, onto Prazi and :wa flukes. By the time 3-4 rounds of Prazi have been completed, the fish should be ready for the main tank. If other problems arise during the Prazi treatment, we will deal with those also before adding the fish to the main tank. :)

Bump

Quick question, is it okay to use Kosher Sea Salt (no additives) in lieu of the Mortan's? I know the grain size would be different but I plan on weighing out the salt so I think I'm covered there. I just didn't know if there is really any difference so I thought I'd ask first.

Edited by Miss_Goldie

Is it kosher sea salt or just kosher salt?

I use Diamond brand kosher salt, and weigh it out as well. Some kosher salts do have additives, so i think that is why the canning salt is recommended over that. But as long as you get the right stuff, and definitely weigh it out, you should be good!

(uuhhb but if it is indeed sea salt, i can't answer your question :rofl )

:wa for me. I take too long to write! :rofl disregard! :ignore

On the box it does say Sea Salt and the ingredients only list sea salt. I hope I'm good because I'd hate to go back out to the store.  :thumbdown

• Admin

On the box it does say Sea Salt and the ingredients only list sea salt. I hope I'm good because I'd hate to go back out to the store.  :thumbdown

:thumbup2:

the only difference is that Sea Salt has Calcium and Magnesium in it.

Do you think that the calcium and magnesium would be enough to affect the water hardness? I already add a hardener when preparing the water.