Has anyone used Black Diamond Coal slag 30-60 grit extra fine for sand?

Has anyone used Black Diamond Coal slag 30-60 grit extra fine for sand in a Goldie tank.

I've read alot about it and I picked some up because I would like a new look for my goldie tank (I currently use pool filter sand)

I've seen mixed reviews but I would like to know if anyone has actual personal experience with this specifically in a Goldie tank.

It is definitely MUCH more fine than my current pfs.

I have recently purchased "Black Beauty" which is also a coal slag of the same grit. I believe from the MSDS they are similar products and from my extensive research they both appear to be inert substrates.

It looks awesome. The one thing I will HIGHLY recommend is rinsing it THOROUGHLY!!! It has a fair bit of dust built up when it comes straight out of the bag and my 25 KG bag took over a good hour of hand rinsing and changing buckets before the water was consistently clear and not leaving any residue on the surface.

Fineness wise, when rinsing you will notice the real small bits float to the top, I allowed them to overflow and have currently not noticed any issues with the sand being too fine once I had raised my filter intake, even when stirring the sand up. Even when I poured it into my tank it didnt get cloudy at all or float about!

Hope this helps

But yes, I suggest to thoroughly rinse it. When you think it is clear, rinse again. Better safe than sorry I say.

I used a 20 Liter bucket, filled it to about 1/2 full with Black Beauty and hand rinsed, then tipped it into another bucket filled with water and repeated the process numerous times.

It also helps to use a light coloured bucket, when you think it is clear place it in the bucket, fill with water and mix around. After 5 or so minutes tip a bit of the water out and if the bucket is stained a light colour, it needs more rinsing.

:)

when rinsing you will notice the real small bits float to the top, I allowed them to overflow and have currently not noticed any issues with the sand being too fine once I had raised my filter intake, even when stirring the sand up. Even when I poured it into my tank it didnt get cloudy at all or float about!

Hope this helps

I had never thought to do that. It helps a lot!

Another way to rinse sand is with a tea towel or some cheese cloth. Bag up sand in the cloth remembering to tie it off at the top and hose down until it runs clear. :)