Sign in to follow this  
pawsplus

Fin issues

Goldie, my remaining goldfish, seems perfectly healthy but her fins don't look good. For a while her dorsal fin looked ragged, but that has been better lately. Now she's missing most of a pectoral fin. See video

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/pawsplus/media/Fish/VID_20150625_201714_zpswvd7m1n1.mp4.html

How do I embed a video?

I moved the fish from a 90 gallon tank to a 30 in order to improve water quality--I am on a spring and the water can be inconsistent (nitrates often in the tap water, etc) so I am now using 50% tap water and 50% store water in changes. Wondering if this problem could have been caused by high nitrates (which they were in the tap water through last month).

Ammonia Level(Tank)* 0

Nitrite Level(Tank)* 0

Nitrate level(Tank)* 20

Ammonia Level(Tap)* 0

Nitrite Level(Tap)* 0

Nitrate level(Tap)* 0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)* pH =8

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) * pH =8

Other Required Info:* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?* API drops

Water temperature?* 74 F

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?* 30 gal--4 days (moved from established 90 gal tank so cycle is stable). Problems pre-date move.

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?* Eheim 2217 and medium sized topfin HOB.

How often do you change the water and how much?* weekly 50%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?* 100% Tuesday.

How many fish in the tank and their size?* 1 4" goldfish; 1 3" BN pleco

What kind of water additives or conditioners?* Prime

What do you feed your fish and how often?* pro gold once a day

Right now metro-meds

Any new fish added to the tank?* no

Any medications added to the tank?* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.* Currently on metro-meds following death of goldfish Georgia from suspected bacterial infection.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?* no

Other unusual behavior?* no

Basically it's just the fin issue. Will keeping her on metro-meds and the more stable water in the smaller tank resolve things do you think?

Edited by pawsplus

Pelvic fin--not pectoral. The left one.

I don't know that MMs will do much for fin issues as they are for the most part working internally.  

Fin problems are often caused by poor water quality (perhaps a possibility--how high were the nitrates running in the tank) or bacteria (secondary to poor water quality?).  I would stick with the MMs for now along with absolutely pristine water.  If that doesn't help, you could try 0.3% salt but i wouldn't recommend that for the pleco . . .

You didn't notice any fin nipping, did you?

No nipping -- Goldie and Georgia got along great and Titus and Goldie ignore each other.

The problem is, again, that I can't be sure I'm providing pristine water because I'm on a spring. Nitrates aren't up in it now (have been in the past), but about 6 weeks ago there was a dead squirrel in the intake. I ran bleach through the system and used bottled water for a while, but who knows what's in there? When I set up the new tank I used 50/50 tap/store water but I'm not sure that's such a good idea because the store water has pH of 3, so even when mixed with tap/spring water, that's a pH drop from 8 to 7 or a little less with every water change.

I could set up the 10 gallon and salt Goldie in there. Should I do that now or wait? How do I figure out 0.3%?

Hope her fin's heal quickly.

Edited by Heidi030

I don't know that MMs will do much for fin issues as they are for the most part working internallyu.

I don't understand what you mean here. Systemic abios are, well, systemic. They are taken internally (orally, intramuscularly, intravenously) precisely because they affect the entire body.

How does one know that one is feeding enough metro-meds? Goldie isn't a large fish and she'll eat 4-5 pellets at most. Normally I feed once a day, but should I be trying to get more into her?

I don't know that MMs will do much for fin issues as they are for the most part working internallyu.

I don't understand what you mean here. Systemic abios are, well, systemic. They are taken internally (orally, intramuscularly, intravenously) precisely because they affect the entire body.

True but often if you have some sort of skin infection (especially in an area not well supplied with blood), you would do some sort of topical ointment or cream applied directly to the affected area . . . 

You should be feeding 1% of her body weight.  Do you know what she weighs?

I don't, no. I guess I'm feeding her enough--its more than I would normally feed her and just had to do an 80% WC after only 4 days because nitrates were up!

If you decide to go the salt route, .03% would be roughly 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of it is a courser salt like rock salt, aquarium salt, or kosher salt (please make sure there are NO additives and no anti caking agents) and 2 1/4 teaspoons of a very fine salt like picking/canning salt. Does that help clarify? We have a great thread on salt here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60876-using-salt/

Isolating her in a 10 gallon would be wise with that Pleco, I agree with Fantailfan.

If you have access to a postage scale or food scale that can weigh grams it would be very helpful for you to weigh your fish at least once to dial in the correct food amount. My favorite method is just to get a Tupperware container of tank water, tare (zero out) the scale, and then gently scoop my fish from a holding container on the counter into the one on the scale. Very little fuss, very easy, plenty accurate. That would help you verify you aren't over or under feeding your fish as well. If you can get a weight for the fish and let us know the food you're feeding we can help you figure out a good amount to spread over the course of the day for feedings.

Depending on your tank size and water quality nitrates aren't necessarily the most reliable indicator of feeding quality - you can over feed for what your tank and filtration can handle and still not be nourishing your fish to ideal quantity.

Depending on your tank size and water quality nitrates aren't necessarily the most reliable indicator of feeding quality - you can over feed for what your tank and filtration can handle and still not be nourishing your fish to ideal quantity.

Not too worried about that. I've kept goldfish for 14 years and they have always done well. Goldie is small because she was a fair fish whom my niece kept in a bowl for months before she could be convinced to hand her over to me. She just never grew as much as my other fish. Georgia grew from a tiny feeder to more than 7" when she died at age 8.

I normally am very careful not to overfeed, but have been trying to be sure to get plenty of metro-meds into her. Hence, I am probably overfeeding!

Thanks for the info on salt. I've done that before (when Prazi-ing) but couldn't remember how to figure it out. Math is not my strong suit.

So SHOULD I put her in the 10 and do the salt treatment? If so, for how long?