brand new fish with bad red streaks in fins

Jes

Hi guys,

I have only had this fish an hour. So i don't really think i can fill out a d&d form.

One of my friends is moving away. So i decided to take on her calico oranda. I hadn't really seen the fish properly before, only in bad quality photos. 

When i saw the fish i noticed all the fins where blood streaked quite badly. It seemed to be quite active. I didn't ask her about her water quality or anything, maybe i should of done but she had already started to take the tank apart. She kept the fish in a tub when i said i was on my way as it was an hour drive, and couldn't wait until later due to plans.

For the journey home, i double bagged the fish and put it in a box and closed it to keep it dark. we made the hour long journey home with hopefully not to many pumpy bits!! 

The fish is now in a QT tank with air stone and cycled filter. I'm using prime. I haven't added anything else to the water. I'm planning on doing large water changes everyday. There has not been a lot of movement since we have been home. Just bottom sitting, but i hope thats just stress.

Do you think the streaks where caused by poor water quality? Will fresh clean water sort it out?

Here are some pics but you can hardly see the streaks.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/jesbaxter1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdbz5mvr7.jpg~original

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/jesbaxter1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszqbapoqv.jpg~original

I see only dark, not red, marks. Isn't that what makes it a Calico? My Calico Fan Tail( I think) has the same markings and has always had them. I have had it over 5 months.

You can't really see them in the picture. But in person they are really pin striped and bright red. They definitely shouldn't be there ????

I see only dark, not red, marks. Isn't that what makes it a Calico? My Calico Fan Tail( I think) has the same markings and has always had them. I have had it over 5 months.

You can't really see them in the picture. But in person they are really pin striped and bright red. They definitely shouldn't be there

Sorry, I was just going by what I could see. Best of luck to your fishie friend.

You can't really see them in the picture. But in person they are really pin striped and bright red. They definitely shouldn't be there

Sorry, I was just going by what I could see. Best of luck to your fishie friend.

I'm really sorry I didn't mean to make that sound blunt lol! Thank you for your replies! :)

I'm really sorry I didn't mean to make that sound blunt lol! Thank you for your replies! :)

Not at all. You were not blunt, and I certainly took no offense from your post.  The "sorry" I guess is rhetorical.

My guess is that the water she came from was high in nitrates.

I say this because I too adopted a fish. She had dark red veins in her tail. 

When I did a test on the water it was off the API scale in nitrates:NitratesWeb.jpg

A better diet and a zero ppm nitrates enviorinment got her back to normal in about 2 months. I've read somewhere that one should take care not to reduce nitrates so quickly. Zero ppm nitrate water was added to her environment reducing the nitrate level from over 160 ppm to 0 ppm within 12 hours. The rapid change in nitrate levels did not apear to harm my fish.

Your new buddy appears pale and looks like he could use some sunlight - but not direct sunlight because of the solar gain in temperature of the tank water. 

Take a look around on food options with vitamins.

Edited by mysterygirl

My guess is that the water she came from was high in nitrates.

I say this because I too adopted a fish. She had dark red veins in her tail.

When I did a test on the water it was off the API scale in nitrates:NitratesWeb.jpg

A better diet and a zero ppm nitrates enviorinment got her back to normal in about 2 months. I've read somewhere that one should take care not to reduce nitrates so quickly. Zero ppm nitrate water was added to her environment reducing the nitrate level from over 160 ppm to 0 ppm within 12 hours. The rapid change in nitrate levels did not apear to harm my fish.

Your new buddy appears pale and looks like he could use some sunlight - but not direct sunlight because of the solar gain in temperature of the tank water.

Take a look around on food options with vitamins.

Thank you so much for your comment! You have confirmed what I thought so thank you.

But I to put her in water with no nitrate, but seems fine. This morning she seems a lot perkier and more active. The red streaks have gone down a little so that's great!!

Do you have any suggestions on what I can feed her to get her feeling and looking better. Is there any certain veggies that will help? I haven't started to feed her yet. She needs to bulk up a little aswell.

Perhaps, if possible, contacting your friend who you received the fish from might be helpful, they should likely know things like what their maintenance habits were at least, and what sort of treatments or or illnesses and such it may have had recently.

Just noticed your latest post, good to see she's perking up.

Edited by rhanrahan

• Helper

Some fish do keep some visible tail veins after a sickness, injury, or just because. But more likely it's stress and water quality. I agree the D&D form will help the mode give more targeted advice, but you can never go wrong with clean water and good nutrition :)

• Helper

Any updates on the condition of your fish? If things aren't improved I encourage you to fill out the full D&D form so we can better advise you :)

Hey guys,

sorry I never the d&d form as she has improved everyday!! I have been doing daily water changes and she has been eating nls Thera a, blood worms and veggies. Her fins are still abit streaked but she seems happy. But not as bad as before.