Is this Algae in my Pond a good thing?

FishyMandy

• Helper

Every Inch of my pond is covered with this algae, The fish (I'm not sure how many there are at this stage, but they are tiny fry) hide in it and some of the plants are almost rooting themselves amongst the algae. I really love how it looks but since I've never seen algae like this before I wanted to ask if it's a good thing of it I should be getting rid of it?

st8E1TJ.jpg

It's like green hair :yikes:

It looks like normal green hair algae to me. :) Sure, that's fine to have in the pond. However, it has been known to take over other plants. So it really is up to you whether you want to keep it or no.

Just make sure when the fry get bigger that it doesn't get wrapped around their gills as it can get jammed quite easily in the gills.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this information?

Mandy, do you have any little brooks or creeks near by? I went looking through one near me a few weeks ago and found quite a bit of hair algae full of all sorts of little critters (mostly small fish, but some inverts too). :)

Just make sure when the fry get bigger that it doesn't get wrapped around their gills as it can get jammed quite easily in the gills.

I have never heard of that.

Me neither.

Mandy, do you have any little brooks or creeks near by? I went looking through one near me a few weeks ago and found quite a bit of hair algae full of all sorts of little critters (mostly small fish, but some inverts too). :)

Me neither.

I had it happen to my sturgeon and it couldn't move it gills and would have died if we didn't intervene

Are you sure it wasn't sick before that and just couldn't expel the algae because of that?

Me neither.

I had it happen to one of my fish more specifically my sturgeon who got it wrapped round so much if we didn't intervene and cut it off him (he couldn't move his gills well at all) he could have easily died

Are you sure it wasn't sick before that and just couldn't expel the algae because of that?

It wasn't sick as it was acting normal in the morning and then later in the afternoon I called my dad over to see what was up with him and he let us pick him up and when I tried to cut the algae out it was so tight around his head and gills I could barely fit the scissors between his head and the algae to cut it. After I cut it off him he started thrashing so we released him and he swam off and stayed on the bottom resting for the rest of the night and was back to normal the next morning. Oh and also sorry I got rid of the text you quoted it was messing up on my screen real bad :(

It wasn't sick as it was acting normal in the morning and then later in the afternoon I called my dad over to see what was up with him and he let us pick him up and when I tried to cut the algae out it was so tight around his head and gills I could barely fit the scissors between his head and the algae to cut it. After I cut it off him he started thrashing so we released him and he swam off and stayed on the bottom resting for the rest of the night and was back to normal the next morning. Oh and also sorry I got rid of the text you quoted it was messing up on my screen real bad :(

Ah. It just seemed odd to me since fish are generally very protective of their gill area, and algae doesn't get very strong a lot of the time.

Ah. It just seemed odd to me since fish are generally very protective of their gill area, and algae doesn't get very strong a lot of the time.

Ok no problem this algae was very difficult to rip or cut so it may just be because it was 2-3 years old :(

I actually have a huge bloom of string/hair algae in my pond right now. Since I live in southern California the weather is pretty constant which makes spring/summer like temp for most of the year. In my experience keeping fancy goldfish, it becomes an issue when the algae becomes too overgrown. The fish become entangled in the algae especially when spawning and need to be rescued. There are pros as long as it doesn't get too out of hand. I keep ranchus, orandas, and moors. Hope this helps.

• Helper

Thanks everyone! I think I'll keep some of it but also clean up some of it. I only have comet fry in there and they seem pretty good at getting around it now but I'll certainly keep a watch as they get bigger.