Where do you buy your supplies from in Victoria/ online?

docians

Currently looking to set up my 4 foot aquarium

Live in country Victoria and have no choice but to pay premium for the actual glass aquarium eg $150 locally vs $79 @ Glen Waverley :(

But can travel to Melbourne for things like filters, airpumps and supplies etc

But wondering where I should buy from, as every drop adds to the ocean

eg the Aquaclear 110 I have set my mind on is not available locally, and online the cheapest I can find is $142

also the API master test kit is $68 in my LPS but I have seen it online for $37

As far as goldies are concerned my LPS have only the usual suspects eg Red Cap Orandas, and Red Ranchus and are not too keen to order anything else. eg Red and White orandas or black Ranchus

Ive ventured as far as Fountaingate at the LPS' there, and its the same story.

Hence this weekend I will make my rounds in Coburg Aquarium, Amazing Amazon and Helen's guy at Abbotsford to check what stock I can drool over (with cycling I will probably be atleast a couple of months before I buy those fishies)

So excited, and appreciate your advice :)

I am in regional NSW so I have the same problem.  My nearest half decent fish shop is an hour and a half away in either direction, north or south. 

I usually get my supplies from either of these places:

http://www.thetechden.com.au/

These guys are great, good prices and if I have any questions I can ring and ask.  They seem to be very helpful. 

This is the other place http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/

If I have questions for products from this site I email Simone, and she usually answers very quickly.   Sometimes the delivery can be a little slower, depending on the weight of the total order, but she offers free postage if you order over a certain amount.  I usually just wait till I have to order enough for the free postage, then put in an order.  I have had no problems dealing with her.  She is really good, esp in the very very rare case your product is faulty.

If I have questions for products from this site I email Simone, and she usually answers very quickly.   Sometimes the delivery can be a little slower, depending on the weight of the total order, but she offers free postage if you order over a certain amount.  I usually just wait till I have to order enough for the free postage, then put in an order.  I have had no problems dealing with her.  She is really good, esp in the very very rare case your product is faulty.

I wrote to aquatic supplies on the 23rd for a delivery estimate on the aquaclear 110 just before 8am

On the 23rd at 08:10, Simone replied saying it would arrive either this friday (tomorrow, 26/6) or monday 29/6

Impressed that I got a reply in under half an hour, I placed an order!

A short time later I received an email saying the order had been processed, and another email would be sent on despatch with tracking details

As of COB 25/6 yet to receive a despatch notice (hence hard to believe it will arrive tomorrow)

Emailed Simone yesterday, but haven't heard back

Was really hoping to start cycling this weekend but looks like it may not happen :(

Just my 2c, then again it may arrive tomorrow and I will be a happy camper

As a word of advice, one store has been mentioned that has numerous complaints made against it by members of various Australian forums. If you want more information contact me. But, as always, exercise a degree of caution when shopping online. :)

Edited by dan in aus

I wrote to aquatic supplies on the 23rd for a delivery estimate on the aquaclear 110 just before 8am

On the 23rd at 08:10, Simone replied saying it would arrive either this friday (tomorrow, 26/6) or monday 29/6

Impressed that I got a reply in under half an hour, I placed an order!

A short time later I received an email saying the order had been processed, and another email would be sent on despatch with tracking details

As of COB 25/6 yet to receive a despatch notice (hence hard to believe it will arrive tomorrow)

Emailed Simone yesterday, but haven't heard back

Was really hoping to start cycling this weekend but looks like it may not happen :(

Just my 2c, then again it may arrive tomorrow and I will be a happy camper

Im sorry docians :sorry::  I feel bad about mentioning her now :( .

Like I said, sometimes delivery can be a little slower, but usually it will arrive within 1-2days of her estimated time.  I must admit she is very slack about sending a dispatch notice and tracking info.

You might have trouble contacting her at the moment.  She posts on this page when they are experiencing disruptions... http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/contact-us.html  At the moment they are apparently moving to a new location.  But she should still be responding to emails.

Email her again if you don't get your parcel today, if you don't get a response, let me know and I'll email her and explain that I referred you and that you I wont be able to refer customers to her in future if delivery isn't reliable, and that if your first buying experience is not satisfactory, you might look to purchase elsewhere in the future.  Sometimes there is more power in numbers?  :idont

It is very unusual for her to be slow in replying to an email though.   She normally replies very very quickly.

Edited by Ree

Like I said, sometimes delivery can be a little slower, but usually it will arrive within 1-2days of her estimated time.  I must admit she is very slack about sending a dispatch notice and tracking info.

You might have trouble contacting her at the moment.  She posts on this page when they are experiencing disruptions... http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/contact-us.html  At the moment they are apparently moving to a new location.  But she should still be responding to emails.

Email her again if you don't get your parcel today, if you don't get a response, let me know and I'll email her and explain that I referred you and that you I wont be able to refer customers to her in future if delivery isn't reliable, and that if your first buying experience is not satisfactory, you might look to purchase elsewhere in the future.  Sometimes there is more power in numbers?  :idont

It is very unusual for her to be slow in replying to an email though.   She normally replies very very quickly.

Hey Ree

Im sorry if you felt I was having a go at you.

Not at all.

On the contrary you have been one of the most helpful people around :)

Thanks for the link you sent today

I have texted her, she replied saying it will arrive on monday

I was just disappointed in that she was quick to respond pre sale and then disappeared post sale

Its all good now :)

Hey Ree

Not at all.

I was just disappointed in that she was quick to respond pre sale and then disappeared post sale

No, that's OK, I just sensed your frustration that's all.   I also have a really really overactive guilt mechanism... So no you didn't have a go at me, it was my own mechanism kicking in and beating me up....

Im pleased its all sorted now! :hi

As a word of advice, one store has been mentioned that has numerous complaints made against it by members of various Australian forums. If you want more information contact me. But, as always, exercise a degree of caution when shopping online. :)

Would love to know what store I have to avoid like the plague :)

In the interest of protecting the forum and myself, I'm not going to state its name in public since the owner is well... (sorry, Docians, you don't have access to the PM feature yet). I will say they are known for sending out returned electrical goods or known faulty goods as new and have had numerous complaints made against them with the ombudsman and consumer affairs. Food and medication seems fine and I've bought that from them before.

If you are really curious, do a google search for "Aquariumlife please do not mention these business names" and you might be able to put two and two together. ;)

Edited by dan in aus

I buy from Big Al's. Not sure if they ship their.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/

Thanks CourtneyandThunder

but if I factor time, postage and quarantine, it will not work out for me :(

Hey Ree

Not at all.

No, that's OK, I just sensed your frustration that's all.   I also have a really really overactive guilt mechanism... So no you didn't have a go at me, it was my own mechanism kicking in and beating me up....

Got the Aquaclear 110 today and it is up and running

Am so chuffed

Just to be clear she did estimate friday/ monday and therefore it did arrive on time :)

Hey Ree

Not at all.

Am so chuffed

Just to be clear she did estimate friday/ monday and therefore it did arrive on time :)

That's great docians!

I got my order from her today too.  I ordered one of these rocks, the red jasper.  I was thinking of removing the 'plants' off the other 'rocks' and gluing them to this one.  It is much heavier, and I don't think it will be pushed around by the current in the tank, or by the fish! 

http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/pisces-semi-precious-stones.html

It is just beautiful!  I just want to sit and look at it... need to get out more don't I?? :teehee

Hey Ree

Not at all.

Am so chuffed

That's great docians!

I got my order from her today too.  I ordered one of these rocks, the red jasper.  I was thinking of removing the 'plants' off the other 'rocks' and gluing them to this one.  It is much heavier, and I don't think it will be pushed around by the current in the tank, or by the fish! 

It is just beautiful!  I just want to sit and look at it... need to get out more don't I?? :teehee

U might just have convinced me to get one myself :)

That's great docians!

Somewhere in where you go to pay is a box for instructions.  I just requested the biggest smoothest rock.  Do you want to see what it looks like before you buy?  I can take a photo of my rock and post it here for you if that will help.  Don't know if you are interested in a photo of a rock. LOL

That's great docians!

Somewhere in where you go to pay is a box for instructions.  I just requested the biggest smoothest rock.  Do you want to see what it looks like before you buy?  I can take a photo of my rock and post it here for you if that will help.  Don't know if you are interested in a photo of a rock. LOL

Yes why not

Please post a pic of your rock :)

That's great docians!

Yes why not

Oh-Kay!

Here it is... put it in some water first so you could see what it looks like in the tank... looking at it in the photos it looks more like a piece of marbled steak.... LOL... My lighting isn't very good...sorry

Seeing as it looked like steak I added a fork so you could gauge an approximate size...

There you go... it might not be to your 'taste' :teehee I don't know....

P1070010%202_zps3sasqqua.jpg

P1070006%202_zpszbsak9wa.jpg

P1070016%202_zpsjph178ae.jpg

P1070012%202_zpszyfkyfon.jpg

That's great docians!

Yes why not

Oh-Kay!

Here it is... put it in some water first so you could see what it looks like in the tank... looking at it in the photos it looks more like a piece of marbled steak.... LOL... My lighting isn't very good...sorry

Seeing as it looked like steak I added a fork so you could gauge an approximate size...

There you go... it might not be to your 'taste' :teehee I don't know....

P1070010%202_zps3sasqqua.jpg

P1070006%202_zpszbsak9wa.jpg

P1070016%202_zpsjph178ae.jpg

P1070012%202_zpszyfkyfon.jpg

In two minds now

thanks for uploading those pics btw

Nah more than marbled steak to me it resembles strips of bacon- yes its brekky time :)

Is the red a natural colouring- those horizontal lines almost look like brush strokes

Lemme know

if natural I will go for it :)

In two minds now

Nah more than marbled steak to me it resembles strips of bacon- yes its brekky time :)

Is the red a natural colouring- those horizontal lines almost look like brush strokes

Lemme know

:lol

mmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon!

OK... focus Ree, focus! :doh11:

Yes, it definitely looks like it is real rock to me.  Doesn't appear painted at all.  They have a selection of other rocks on the same listing, so maybe one of the others might look less like bacon... if that is a look you would rather avoid... :teehee

In two minds now

Lemme know

:lol

mmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon!

OK... focus Ree, focus! :doh11:

Yes, it definitely looks like it is real rock to me.  Doesn't appear painted at all.  They have a selection of other rocks on the same listing, so maybe one of the others might look less like bacon... if that is a look you would rather avoid... :teehee

Think I will go Tigers Eye and African Fire :)