Possible ryukin?

Sieta

I got this guy about two months ago from my local fish store. He was labeled as a fantail but it almost looks like he is developing a ryukin hump to me.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

It looks like your fish is starting to get hump. It could be that the fish store identified the fish based on the characteristics it had pre-hump and considered it to be a fantail.

It looks like your fish is starting to get hump. It could be that the fish store identified the fish based on the characteristics it had pre-hump and considered it to be a fantail.

That's what I'm thinking or maybe even a mix breed from a pond etc..

He was the weirdest looking Goldie I had seen, that's what drew my husband to him.

He has two different colored eyes and looked like a triangle with fins when we first got him.

Edited by Sieta

My old fish Rodriguez was bought as a ryukin, but he was still very young and had only the slightest hint of a hump for the first few months, then he started to really grow and got more of a hump.

• Helper

Feed him well and see if the hump improves - he could be a Ryukin or a Fantail/Ryukin cross, certainly :). The very pointed snout and developing hump, along with his general proportions, make me think so :)

It's a ryukin.  A ryukin fantail cross would probably look like a fantail.  You can spawn a pair of ryukins and get offspring with anything from huge to no humps.  Goldfish don't breed true.  

I got a "fantail" at a pet store that grew a wen.  As one of the sales people said on a different occasion, "It is whatever the bag is labeled."  This when I asked her what she called  the wild-colored veiltail nymph, that I got from the tank labeled "calico ryukins."  He didn't have a hump as a baby, but grew one.  I assume he got in the bag because of inept culling. Fancies regularly produce some single-tailed fish (nymphs), and calico x calico produces 25% wild-color metallics.  Both of these get culled early.

I wish breeders would try to market their nymphs.  Most people find them very appealing.  They usually don't make it to market because you can distinguish single and double tails in very young fry, so nymphs don't make it through the first cull.

It's a ryukin. A ryukin fantail cross would probably look like a fantail. You can spawn a pair of ryukins and get offspring with anything from huge to no humps. Goldfish don't breed true.

I got a "fantail" at a pet store that grew a wen. As one of the sales people said on a different occasion, "It is whatever the bag is labeled." This when I asked her what she called the wild-colored veiltail nymph, that I got from the tank labeled "calico ryukins." He didn't have a hump as a baby, but grew one. I assume he got in the bag because of inept culling. Fancies regularly produce some single-tailed fish (nymphs), and calico x calico produces 25% wild-color metallics. Both of these get culled early.

I wish breeders would try to market their nymphs. Most people find them very appealing. They usually don't make it to market because you can distinguish single and double tails in very young fry, so nymphs don't make it through the first cull.

I love nymphs too. I have one in my current batch of fry, and he is gorgeous, with a great personality. :-)

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a ryukin in a store that had a hump. Most (including mine, which is more likely a ryukin/fantail cross) just look like fantails with deeper bodies.