Subscription Give Away!

koko

• Admin

Im giving away one Month Subby... for one lucky winner...

All you need to do is post in this thread...Keep it a conversation though... Post as many times as you like.... At the end of the Month I will randomly draw a winner and that person will get a Free One month pass to the Crazy side of KG....:)

Your post number is your raffle number :)

Enjoy and have fun

koko

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for offering this! In order to facilitate the conversation - what did your fish eat today? Mine had some Omega One pellets for breakfast.

I'd like to enter the raffle! 

My fish had Thera-A and Repashy Super Green so far... plus whatever roots and runners they've managed to kill. 

I've seen both Super Green & Soilent Green Repashy mentioned - are they pretty much the same except the latter has animal protein in it? How do you choose which one to feed?

I've seen both Super Green & Soilent Green Repashy mentioned - are they pretty much the same except the latter has animal protein in it? How do you choose which one to feed?

I'm not an expert at all, but from what I've gleaned, the protein issue is a big one, and Soilent Green makes for a better staple gel food than Super Green. I feed Super Green since I was concerned that my fish weren't getting a wide enough range of vegetables, and I live alone so the grocery situation is pretty, uh, unstable. They are also underwhelmed by things like spinach and won't eat things like carrots. Their staple food is Thera-A, though, and sometimes blood worms.

I'm not an expert at all, but from what I've gleaned, the protein issue is a big one, and Soilent Green makes for a better staple gel food than Super Green. I feed Super Green since I was concerned that my fish weren't getting a wide enough range of vegetables, and I live alone so the grocery situation is pretty, uh, unstable. They are also underwhelmed by things like spinach and won't eat things like carrots. Their staple food is Thera-A, though, and sometimes blood worms.

I feed soilent green as a staple for my fish with bloodworms and pellets every so often and also algae wafers or whatever the other fish are having :)

I'm in

mysterygirl-llama.gif

On the menu today:

home-made Soilent Green gel food this time augmented with: organic carrot; edamame; peas; oatmeal; wheat germ; fresh garlic; crushed algae wafers; blood worms; fish oil; nori; other commercial fish food including ProGold and Southern Delight goldfish food.

Edited by mysterygirl

I'm in

mysterygirl-llama.gif

On the menu today:

home-made Soilent Green gel food this time augmented with: organic carrot; edamame; peas; oatmeal; wheat germ; fresh garlic; crushed algae wafers; blood worms; fish oil; nori; other commercial fish food including ProGold and Southern Delight goldfish food.

My fish are lucky if in my homemade food they get spinach, cucumber, pepper and carrot nevermind all the yummies yours get but oh well :)

Please enter me into the raffle as well :)

Kaji had hikari sinking pellets this morning and before I left, a piece of fresh spinach clipped to the side of the tank. The new fish in quarantine had the sinking pellets and some Repashy Soilent Green. One of these days I need to try that homemade gel food recipe--sounds very nutritious!

Kaji had hikari sinking pellets this morning and before I left, a piece of fresh spinach clipped to the side of the tank. The new fish in quarantine had the sinking pellets and some Repashy Soilent Green. One of these days I need to try that homemade gel food recipe--sounds very nutritious!

I'm curious: for those of you who have pickier eaters, how do you get them to eat things like spinach, etc? Do you just keep putting it in the tank without other options to make them try? Mine will taste it (Duchess has stopped tasting it, though... I think she might not like the smell?) and then swim away. 

I've had luck with feeding them some fruit in the past as a treat but otherwise it's a no-go.

My fish had seaweed on a clip for breakfast! Re: spinach - do you have to cook it first, or do they eat it raw?

Mine only got seaweed for the first time a few days ago, & they didn't know what to make of it at first, but when I tore off a few bite size pieces to drift around, they snapped them right up. I think competition helps, as I find critters will often eat novel stuff if they think someone else wants it - I see it all the time in my chickens; they're eyeing this new thing, see the others getting closer, are afraid the other will take it away, grab a bite, everyone else sees it wasn't a trap, & they all pile on it.

I'm curious: for those of you who have pickier eaters, how do you get them to eat things like spinach, etc? Do you just keep putting it in the tank without other options to make them try? Mine will taste it (Duchess has stopped tasting it, though... I think she might not like the smell?) and then swim away. 

I've had luck with feeding them some fruit in the past as a treat but otherwise it's a no-go.

I think it might have to do with the personality of the fish. Kaji eats anything that's soft: for fresh veggies like spinach, lettuce, asparagus tips or broccoli florets  I usually microwave them in a mug of water for 30 seconds and tear them into bite size pieces or hang them on a clip. He gobbles them right up, but he spits out things like cucumber, zucchini, carrot, corn and kale no matter how much I cook them even though I've heard of fish that love these things. He does the same with my plants-- nips pieces off but just spits them out without eating them.  When I introduce new things (recently seaweed) I hand feed him bite-size pieces before I clip them or else he won't realize they're food and ignore the clip.

I had spinach that was frozen for humans to eat, that was sort of left in the freezer way too long and got freezer burnt in a sense... so it actually re-hydrated really well with some water and the goldies inhaled it but they refused to touch fresh spinach or blanched spinach. Lazy butts.

We use lots of fresh spinach for the humans, so it's useful to know how the fishies like it! I wonder if nasturtium flowers would be nutritious for fish? We have lots, & use them in salads all the time.