Sign in to follow this  
Rijen

Lets sex our goldfishes

Hi,

This is RIjen from Nepal neighbor of China. Lets upload pics of our goldfishes and know their gender.I have uploaded some of mine help me know their gender.

517.jpg

You will not be able to tell the gender of a goldfish just by looking at a photo of the fish. We would need to see clear photos of the pectoral fins, the vent (rectum), and know if the fish has shown breeding tubercles or layed eggs in the past.

RIjen is lovely. :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi

Usually the quickest way to sex a goldfish is by looking at the ventral opening. If it is female the vent will protrude outwards (convex), if it's a male it will cave in (concave). Kinda hard to understand for new goldfish keepers because we always think of it as the opposite! :rofl

Both my goldfish are female. In the pictures below you can see a tiny little bump right before their anal fin. That is the vent. :)

DSC_26861_zps63cb7091.jpg

DSC_25681_zps315386e4.jpg

However, always double check other aspects to make sure the fish to ensure the gender. If you've seen the fish lay eggs, you can be sure it's female. If you've seen the fish show breeding stars, you can count on it being a male.

Males also have thicker pectoral fins than females. In my photos you can see both my girls have pretty thin fins.

Here's a comparison photo from Google:

tumblr_inline_mxejpt0vLl1s5uvr9.jpg

You can see the male in these photos is showing breeding stars, too.

You will not be able to tell the gender of a goldfish just by looking at a photo of the fish. We would need to see clear photos of the pectoral fins, the vent (rectum), and know if the fish has shown breeding tubercles or layed eggs in the past.

Hi chelseam, i have posted some photos plz help me if you got time, Thanks in advance.

no 1 "phuchi"

phuchi_back.jpg

no 2 "Nakaali"

nakaali_2.jpg

no2 "Nakaali" 2nd shot

nakaali_1.jpg

no3 "Aanday"

anday_2.jpg

no3 "Aanday" 2nd shot

anday_3.jpg

The only fish that I can definitely tell is Nakaali, and she is female. 

Phuchi looks male to me, and Aanday I am not sure about. 

Please be aware though that these are only educated guesses based on vent shape. The most accurate way to tell, as I stated above, is to know if they have ever shown breeding stars or had eggs.

Please be aware though that these are only educated guesses based on vent shape. The most accurate way to tell, as I stated above, is to know if they have ever shown breeding stars or had eggs.

Yeah I find it easier to look at the Pectoral fins :)

I can never be sure with those, since I have had a few females with beefy pectorals.  :flex:  :teehee

This is good info, I thought with goldfish you couldn't tell. I have to figure out what mine are.

Edited by CourtneyandThunder

I can never be sure with those, since I have had a few females with beefy pectorals.  :flex:  :teehee

Yeah I had one Female that tricked me and had stars on the pectorals.... It was the strangest thing :o

I'm pretty sure my ranchu is a female, but she has fairly serrated, thick pectorals. Proper vent shape, though, and I've seen zigzaggy white poop that looks suspiciously like reabsorbing eggs.

Tricksy fish!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Andey was female who have spawned and given us 4 fry. Naakali who is told to be female have not given any interest in mating this year lets see next year.