• Helper

Well this year hasn't been a good year for my fish...after going a good 3-4 years with no deaths, I've lost 3 fish this year, First my Google, then Bamboo and now Chico has gone as well

Chico was my newest fish, I only had her for a few weeks - I got her on April 16 and she passed away on June 13. I was so excited to get her as I had wanted a nice butterfly for a long time...in the few short weeks I had her she really wriggled her way into my heart. With her tiny round body and how she waddled more than swam.

This really hurts, because it was my actions that caused her death. 

You see, A good two years ago I bought some 'feeder fish' from the pet shop, they lived in my axolotl tank for a while, but after my axolotl died I decided to just put them in my goldfish tank. For the two years they were in there, I had no problems with them...

About 3-4 weeks ago I found out these "feeder fish" Were actually rosy barbs...I read up and found they can be aggressive, and was told not good to be with goldies... but I went and did what I always tell others not to do, and went with the "I've never had any problems so it wont happen, it will be fine"

That was the worst mistake ever. Last week those barbs showed their aggressive side and attacked Chico. They bit her fins, belly, eyes and tail. From this point she went downhill very quickly, and despite the best help Chico passed away on Saturday.

The barbs have been rehomed now, and I've certainly learned my lesson, from now on my tank will be goldfish only.

I'm telling my story here to try and help others who may be like me, that just because something has been fine for however long, doesn't mean it always will be, that risk will be there.

RIP My Chico, I'm so sorry.

iVJr0uv.jpg

TEdrLmA.jpg

PLrSXpR.jpg

Chico was gorgeous :heart

I'm sorry for your loss :hug

Edited by Flipper

:( I'm so sorry for your loss  :k055:   Chico was a very beautiful fish. :rip:

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Mandy, you said that all beautifully, she was a very sweet little fish, and I know you loved her well.  I also know that you looked after her well and did all you could when she was sick.  Keep that in mind as you mourn her loss.  Sending big hugs your way  :tou   :k055:

• Helper

It was an honest mistake and an unfortunate accident, do t beat yourself up over it. Chico was gorgeous, and I hope you find a new friend to fill the void in your tanks soon.

And yeah, ditch the barbs!

• Helper

Thank you everyone. Yes ive been beating myself up a lot over this. But ive decided now I've got it out there I'm going to stop and move on...not without regrets but with the lesson learned

I know how tempting it can be to beat yourself up over a mistake and not let it go, but it sounds like you are trying your best to move on and learn from it. I know that it doesn't make the hurt any less. I just wanted to tell you that I care and I'm so very sorry for your loss  :bighug

• Helper

I know how tempting it can be to beat yourself up over a mistake and not let it go, but it sounds like you are trying your best to move on and learn from it. I know that it doesn't make the hurt any less. I just wanted to tell you that I care and I'm so very sorry for your loss :bighug

Thank you xx