New Shubunkin comet

So Last night I took the plunge (excuse the pun) and put Cosette in with Kaji at lights out. I was so worried that Kaji would bully Cosette, but it was the opposite, and she immediately started following Kaji everywhere, which he seemed to be pretty annoyed about. Poor Kaji tried to hide and went to the other side of the tank but to no avail! This morning when the lights came on and Kaji started swimming around, Cosette was following him everywhere like she was trying to school with him. He seemed a little annoyed at first and was a little aggressive at feeding time, pushing her out of the way a couple times. But I think he's staring to warm up to her! Here are some pics:

55355887a20e5e140dd21e683ab97e8c.jpg

As you can see, Kaji is MUCH bigger than Cosette, but that doesn't seem to bother her at all.

073daa7bf321e48f3bc38ba5ca50735f.jpg

It was love at first sight! (For Cosette at least)

89b96e1207c68db5259ba503483e79ae.jpg

She overcame all her shyness and just follows Kaji around everywhere like a lost puppy.

And then it occurred to me....maybe my guess on their genders wasn't quite accurate after all, so I looked at Cosette more closely...

297360b7b12bba3f71bfc11495c8fdb1.jpg

And, sure enough, HE has breeding tubercules! On both his gill plate and his pectoral fin!  :saywhat  This means that my big, spunky boy Kaji, has been a GIRL FISH all along!!! And Cosette is no longer an appropriate name for the new fish, so from now on I'm going to call HIM Cosi!

:rofl3  This concludes my posts about Cosette, I'm so glad Kaji and Cosi seem to be enjoying each other's company!

Edited by MT28

Actually,  I think "following" behavior often happens when a small fish goes in with larger ones.  I think it means, "I want to join your family."  The larger fish seem annoyed initially, but get into being dominant with time.  

Interesting! So I guess that means Kaji might still be a he? (although Kaji never developed breeding tubercules  and his/her vent is unclear so it's hard to say). Goldfish social dynamics are adorable! 

Cosi is looking great! Look at your fish doing "follow the leader" :) When I originally added a couple of little fish in with Clownie, they acted scared of him at first, but they warmed up pretty quickly & did the following thing. Clownie is still the definite leader.