New Shubunkin comet

I had posted a couple weeks ago about getting a tankmate for my comet, Kaji and so after getting back from a trip yesterday I decided to get one. I was originally planning to order a 6-8" sarasa from a breeder through my LFS but thought that it wouldn't hurt to see what they had in stock first.

Well, there was a special fish in stock. She (maybe a he, but she for now) is a shubunkin comet and drew me in by her brownish-gold color, long flowy fins, and graceful movement. Unfortunately she has bad fin rot, is very skinny and looks kind of pathetic. I thought both that she could be a very beautiful fish with some clean water, quality food and perhaps meds, and that if I didn't take her probably no one ever would, so I got the owner to give her to me for half price ($1.50). She's about 4" sl and 5"tl, although it's hard to tell because her fins are so thin and scraggly.

I'm a real sucker for poor, unwanted fish. Kaji was a originally a fair fish that my friend won and didn't want. He had tail rot when I first got him and now he's extremely lively and robust. I'm hoping the new fish makes it through quarantine and, over time, can be fat and robust like him. I know I'm kind of a dupe--went in to order a large, brand new, pristine fish and came back with a beaten up rescue. The good news is that she's very lively--no bottom sitting or gill trouble that I can see.

After slowly adjusting her to the water and letting her into her quarantine tank (20g with an uncycled filter), she seemed to be doing well and scavenging for food, so I fed her a tiny bit of  blanched broccoli florets. She gobbled them up eagerly but then spit them out a few moments later, which makes me suspect she might have flukes.

I salted to .1% and will increase to .3 over the next 24 hours. I plan to do at least 80% water changes every day (depending on how the parameters read) and treat with prazi 5 or 6 rounds. Any other suggestions for what else I should do?

And, last, but not least, here are some pictures!

080603b8864a0e8ed556d03d6c4e7fd0.jpg

b3f692beccd5fedbc7196fd63874b9da.jpgc06df5f7ce029b4a72d1eb8fc7603b70.jpg

Also, it's hard to see from the poor photo quality through the plastic bin, but her coloring kind of reminded me of the painting, the Kiss.

klimt.kiss.jpg

Nice!  Does she have Ich or are those bubbles in the picture?

Those are actually bubbles--as far as I can tell, she doesn't have ich, just fin rot, but I'll be watching her closely these next few weeks and post in D&D if I think she has something else. Thanks!

Beautiful!

I would only suggest avoiding broccoli, as it can cause gas in fish just as in humans. Instead, I would suggest feeding her something of a 'recovery diet' of very small and frequent meals of both the main tank's staple food and frozen bloodworms. The bloodworms will provide much needed nutrition, and also help her have regular BMs until she can handle normal portions of the staple diet that you give your fish. :) I recently needed to do this with one of my fish, since he came to me skinny and beaten up. He's put on weight and now enjoys life in the main pond with his three buddies.

Edited by ChelseaM

Beautiful!

I would only suggest avoiding broccoli, as it can cause gas in fish just as in humans. Instead, I would suggest feeding her something of a 'recovery diet' of very small and frequent meals of both the main tank's staple food and frozen bloodworms. The bloodworms will provide much needed nutrition, and also help her have regular BMs until she can handle normal portions of the staple diet that you give your fish. :) I recently needed to do this with one of my fish, since he came to me skinny and beaten up. He's put on weight and now enjoys life in the main pond with his three buddies.

Thanks, Chelsea. I just fed her broccoli because that was what Kaji was having, but this is very helpful advice and makes sense. I'll try feeding her very small meals of my staple food (hikari mini sinking pellets) and frozen blood worms tomorrow. What about gel food (I just picked up a bottle of repashy soilent green)--is that also a good option for recovering goldfish? 

Beautiful!

Thanks, Chelsea. I just fed her broccoli because that was what Kaji was having, but this is very helpful advice and makes sense. I'll try feeding her very small meals of my staple food (hikari mini sinking pellets) and frozen blood worms tomorrow. What about gel food (I just picked up a bottle of repashy soilent green)--is that also a good option for recovering goldfish?
Sure! I would feed the gel just like everything else. That was my staple food for awhile. :)

And no problem. Lots of luck to you!

I can see why you wouldn't want to pass her up, she does have very pretty colors, she kind of looks pitiful with her fins. I would have picked her too, she have very good potential to become the great white swan (so to speak)

I can see why you wouldn't want to pass her up, she does have very pretty colors, she kind of looks pitiful with her fins. I would have picked her too, she have very good potential to become the great white swan (so to speak)

Awww, thanks for this! My boyfriend took one look at her and said "that is the ugliest fish I've ever seen," but even after just a couple days of frequent feeding I can see her starting to plump up and I have a feeling she will be a real beauty once her fins heal and her color comes out. 

Awww, thanks for this! My boyfriend took one look at her and said "that is the ugliest fish I've ever seen," but even after just a couple days of frequent feeding I can see her starting to plump up and I have a feeling she will be a real beauty once her fins heal and her color comes out.

I couldn't agree more!

UPDATE: So, after much deliberation, I've decided to name my new fish Cosette after the character in Les Miserables, which I've recently been re-reading.  Cosette is horribly mistreated as a little girl and very sad and thin until Jean Valjean comes to take her away, take care of her and love her--eventually she grows into an extremely beautiful young woman. I'm hoping it will be the same with my poor, thin, little Cosette. 

I've also decided to take pictures every week to track her progress.

Here're some pics from today (QT day 7, prazi day 5 (end of round 1):

dc8237d1a27eb8497e3d9e3197cbd00b.jpg

She seems to have gained a bit of weight and color (although she's still terribly thin), but her gills look a little inflamed. Maybe from the prazi treatment? 

8d1e4da8b1d055ce110092ef1ba0278d.jpg

Here's a close up of the gills:

b655eb7fe5679f980f74d412bbd58abe.jpg

I think I might wait a day or two and observe before posting in D&D since she seems otherwise okay, active and eating. Here's a more artistic blurred photo that almost looks like watercolor: 

0cea9d7679e2208767f49d1d58454b33.jpg

Edited by MT28

I am glad to hear she has put on weight!

I am following her.....I just love her color, and those fins! watch out boys! I think she is going to be a stunner now that she has favored conditions....

Cosette QT Day 14, prazi day 12 (second day of rd3):

From her side profile, you can see she's gained some weight--starting to look like a normal comet!

d34bfcb62f4bde43a03951a0ef1e4534.jpg

Her color has also lightened up to a yellowish gold (I wonder if she will eventually turn orange?)

78da5b08b414ced6569a88a18c6457b8.jpg

35d8fcff16f4bd93ab6b27729f50bbaf.jpg

Her fins are also looking a lot better, although not completely healed.

93afb186a281d3fdc7a16819df1ca602.jpg

But she's still pretty skittish--hides when I approach and will dart out to get food then quickly retreat back to her hiding place behind the fake plants. But when she doesn't realize I'm watching she'll explore the tub and scavenge, although she'll still dart back to her hiding spot after a while. I'm trying to train her to be bolder by putting the food further and further out and not withdrawing my hand. I can't wait to see how she looks and acts in a couple of weeks when she's done with prazi!

P.S. Thanks, for the encouragement, Niki! I'm not sure whether anyone else is actually reading this, but it makes me feel good to track her progress :)

Edited by MT28

She's definitely filling out & looking healthier! It'll be interesting to see if her color changes - & I'll bet she starts settling down pretty soon.

Cosette QT Day 21, Prazi day 19 (middle of Rd.4)

Cosette is getting livelier by the day. Her fins have mostly healed except for her tail, which you can see is growing in kind of a cool four-pronged shape. Her color is continuing to lighten and she's getting bolder--she now turns her head towards me and pokes out from her hiding space a bit when I come by and actually comes up and plays in the bubbles during water changes. I have no doubt that she'll do well the rest of quarantine (I'm planning on 33 days in total to finish 6 rounds of prazi and have a couple days of unsalted unmedicated water with some of Kaji's water mixed in.

Now I'm starting to feel anxious about whether she and Kaji will get along. Kaji is at least twice her size and very strong and fast--I hope he doesn't bully her! 

b92e620a41c42ee0cd38c34e7fb3c52a.jpge24c9b2fb60795ccac24f3a3f42d85d5.jpg0f94273ae9a94941fc5925fbf4908607.jpg98fc81afe9eb2bff882ebf45a70bb46d.jpgf22f5545ba60f283872327dad53ea9b3.jpg

Cosette QT day 28, Prazi DONE 5 Rds as of yesterday

The difference between Cosette now as opposed to 4 weeks ago is really amazing, both in terms of her looks and behavior. Her color is changing everyday-- she's starting to have that beautiful shubunkin patterning! She also swims around a lot more and swims out to get food as soon as I arrive. I'm planning to add her to the main tank in 5 days --it'll be nice to finally get a good side-view of her through the aquarium glass!

Here are some new pics:

ea45d8f76350277978c355062c3845f5.jpg2cdc55fb675800178afae13be02bd7c0.jpg3a0496ef0acc0b93f428748eca2d9d1e.jpg1e93ff5b571482e14cd0e189b773e9f3.jpg