Canister Filter and Sand

Hey people!

As some of you may be aware, I'm working on a new and upgraded tank.

I am currently mulling over swapping my horrible looking large gravel that came with it for sand. I am hoping I can get some of the coal slag as it is black, if not I may just have to stick to river sand...

I am concerned that sand may get into my canister filter and ruin it... I know raising it a bit off the ground will assist... But is that enough? Or should I also place some form of sponge or covering over the intake?

Anyone have experience as to the pro's and con's of this idea? Or have any other suggestions for either sand type, or how to manage it once installed?

Thanks in advance, appreciate your help

I have been running 2 Fluval 406's on my 125 with a small amount of sand for over a year. I haven't noticed any problems. I do suggest buying a good quality sand. One that is heavy and dense. Cheap junk sand will be filled with debris and won't sink to the bottom as well.

I use pool filter sand in my tanks, I get it at a local pool supply store for about 10$ a 50pound bag. It's a heavy course grain it reminds me of rice. It sinks straight down, I've never had it caught in my filter and my intakes are low, and it even vacuums well. It's a white beachy looking sand though.

Edited by Sieta

I've had plenty of sand end up in my filter but I do have an unusually robust fish who is to blame.

I've settled with the idea that it'll lead to a new impeller and shaft eventually but it also appears to be less and less in the filter with each cleaning, which is generally the smallest particles of the sand. Suppose she's eventually going to run out of "dust" to throw into the intake at some point. :rolleyes: Get a heavier grain sand if you happen to have larger fish an keep the intake up.

Oh and rinse it before hand... A lot. Until your hands fall off.

Edited by Chai