Filter placement with two?

I have two Aquaclear 70 hob filters in my 55 Goldie tank along with an internal sponge filter.

What is the best placement for the two hob? One on each opposite side of the tank (which is where they are now) or side by side with each other in the middle or both on one end?

Or does it even matter?

Thank for any assistance.

Experiment and find out what you like.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each placement.  Check for where you have quiet areas, dead areas, and where your fish like to hang out.  You really can't go wrong.

The filters are called HOB which stands for hang on back. This is probably obvious to most. The reason they go on the back is aesthetics, or, visual appeal. If I was running 2 filters on a 55 and wanted it to look as good as possible, I would put one in each corner of the back. I would position them to that the intakes are about 6" to 1' from the corners. That said, if you would like the best circulation in the tank, I would put one on each side of the tank. Not the sides of the back, but the actual sides. Then I would position them so the outputs are on opposite sides. What this does nois create a circular flow of the water. Amazing flow and circulation.

I'm more interested in the best flow/ less stress positions for the fish. I can make a canopy to hide the filters.

The problem I have with putting them on the sides ,(which was my first choice) is they won't fit with my glass cover at the sides, only the back. So I was hoping the corners would be close enough?

I'd say go with the corners.

One of the things I love about canisters. Being able to put the in and outtakes so far apart seems like the most efficient way of doing things. 

I do not put my intakes in the very corners and I will explain why. It is my opinion you want the intake to be taking water in equally from, basically, 3 sides. Of course the back is against the glass so youre limited there. If you put it in the corner, now you are only sucking water in from 2 side if the intake. If you put it 6 inches to a foot off of the corner, it will be drawing water in from 3 sides. Keep in mind that if the intakes are jammed into the corners, it will be pulling the water in from the corners, and there will be much less pull in the middle of the tank. This may be a good thing if you have very weak fish, but I have never seen any of my fish have problem with intake current, as it is very weak. Point being, poop in the middle won't get sucked in to the filter if it is too far away.

Both intakes are currently about 1 foot away for one and 5 inches for the other from the corner.

(The intake is on the far left side of the units)

In the middle is the sponge filter.

Edited by Sieta

Sieta: Have you looked at the Sunsun cannisters? They don't look to be much more expensive than the large Aquaclears.

Dieselplower: What a shame they don't make left and right-handed versions of the Aquaclear just for that reason. :)

Sieta: Have you looked at the Sunsun cannisters? They don't look to be much more expensive than the large Aquaclears.

Dieselplower: What a shame they don't make left and right-handed versions of the Aquaclear just for that reason. :)

Yes sir no kidding! I was all frustrated I couldn't get my aqueons just right when i was running 3 on my 125.

I would have been all over that if I was shopping and didn't already have my two. I will definitely keep it in mind for the next time I'm shopping though.

My tank had came with a cannister filter and I just bought a new aqua clear for "additional" support. Once I got the cannister and the other hob filter that came with the tank cleaned and went to put in the filters I found they didn't run so well. (This tank etc was second hand and supposed to have everything)

So far I've ended up having to replace everything but the tank itself and stand, which I refinished.

Edited by Sieta

Best of luck to you. I'm in pretty much the same boat. I inherited a tank that for a long time sat in a dentists office and have pretty much tossed out everything but the tank and stand. I kept the power heads and might use them someday.

I was all set to get a used SunSun, but someone popped up and made me an offer on a couple of Aquaclears that I couldn't refuse.

Thanks!

Lol I really thought I wouldn't have to put so much money in this one... After all I had other tanks already with left overs....

So far I've spent more on this "freebie" Goldie tank than all my others.

BTW I saw your pimped out 110 thread, does the biohome media make a big difference compared to other bio media?

I think I may steal part of your filter set up.

Edited by Sieta

Thanks!

Lol I really thought I wouldn't have to put so much money in this one... After all I had other tanks already with left overs....

So far I've spent more on this "freebie" Goldie tank than all my others.

BTW I saw your pimped out 110 thread, does the biohome media make a big difference compared to other bio media?

I think I may steal part of your filter set up.

Ugh, tell me about it. I think by the time I'm done it'll have set me back around $200. A lot of money for someone like me on a fixed income. But, I'm determined to do right by my fish when I get them.

I certainly hope the Biohome lives up to its promises. But all the reviews I've seen online and on Youtube seem to sing its praises. The idea behind it certainly seems reasonable.

I agree about the AC intake position.  I keep the one on the left several inches away from the corner.  I've thought the same thing that they should make a right and left side version.