Fish-in cycle

I’m on the 19th day of cycling with fish. On the 10th day I added "filter mud" from a cycled tank in hopes of speeding up my cycling.

Currently the parameters read:

Tap / Tank

Ammonia: 0 / 0

Nitrit: 0 / 0.1

Nitrate: ~3 / 1

ph: 7.8 acc. to homepage 

How can the gap between tap and tank of nitrate happen? 

Am I on the right path or did I mess something up?

Should I do a 50% WC or just add prime?

18484066128_061906e9cf_z.jpg

Thank you for your help.

I'm using drop tests by Sera and JBL. The ph test has been ordered and still has to arrive.

Never mind about the nitrate. I figured that due to the plants in the tank nitrate must be lower in the tank than from the tap.

I'm using drop tests by Sera and JBL. The ph test has been ordered and still has to arrive.

Never mind about the nitrate. I figured that due to the plants in the tank nitrate must be lower in the tank than from the tap.

Yes, the plants are probably using some of the nitrate :)

Just for future reference, please put your parameters like this:

Tank 

Ammonia: 0 mg/l

Nitrite: 0.1 mg/l

Nitrate: 1 mg/l

Tap

Ammonia:  0 mg/l

Nitrite: 0  mg/l

Nitrate: ~3 mg/l

My head spun trying to read unaligned columns.    :)

Did you use the JBL nitrate test?  I see that measures 1mg/l and 10 mg/l, so the ~3  has little significance.  A small contamination in the tube could make that big a difference between tap and tank.  You can check that simply by repeating the nitrate tests. with very clean tubes.

It looks good to me.  You can simply use a little salt to protect the fish from the nitrite, add Prime every other day, or change water.  I would  use water changes to control nitrite if the level goes above 0.5 mg/l.

• Helper

Yup, just test until nitrite is in the .25-5 range and do a huge water change to bring it back down. Sometimes fish in cycles are unavoidable, but we can really mitigate the stress on the animals by testing fastidiously, changing frequently, and using salt to protect from brown blood disease via high nitrite.

Yup, just test until nitrite is in the .25-5 range and do a huge water change to bring it back down. Sometimes fish in cycles are unavoidable, but we can really mitigate the stress on the animals by testing fastidiously, changing frequently, and using salt to protect from brown blood disease via high nitrite.

Did you mean 0.25 - 0.5?  I hope so!  :)

Thank you for the inputs so far!  :D

Did you use the JBL nitrate test?  I see that measures 1mg/l and 10 mg/l, so the ~3  has little significance.  A small contamination in the tube could make that big a difference between tap and tank.  You can check that simply by repeating the nitrate tests. with very clean tubes.

Yes, I used JBL nitrate test. I checked again with the cuvette straight out of the box.

It looks good to me.  You can simply use a little salt to protect the fish from the nitrite, add Prime every other day, or change water.  I would  use water changes to control nitrite if the level goes above 0.5 mg/l.

Is 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons (~19 liter) ok?

I also received the ph test. The parameters for today read:

Tank 

Ammonia: 0 mg/l

Nitrite: 0.1 mg/l

Nitrate: 1 mg/l

pH: 8.5

Tap

Ammonia:  0 mg/l

Nitrite: 0 mg/l

Nitrate: I have a hard time figuring It out. It looks somewhere between 1 and 5 to me. According to our water provider, it should be at 4.9 mg/l

ph: Same here. According to our water provider, it should be at 7.8 mg/l  :blink:

Tap - Nitrate

nitrate%20tap_zpsg7datidr.jpg

Tap - pH 

ph%20tap_zpst0tmnc7h.jpg

Again, thank you for your help!

Edited by hellofishy

I know you can reduce them, but I don't know how.  Someone should pop in and tell us about it.

The empty circles on the chart suggest to me that you are supposed to set the vials on the circles and look down through them.  The colors look different that way.  Just guessing, but I think you will read 5 for the tap nitrate that way.  What do the instructions say?

I teaspoon of salt for 5 gallons is fine.

• Admin

you can reduce in the Photobucket now.. :) Just it the edit button and then you can reduce them... Personally they are that big hun :)

your good