Recommend a good LED lighting system?

Well I'd say the title covers it. I'm looking for a full spectrum (blue, white, and, red) led light for my tank than hopefully won't break my bank account. I was initially considering this one,  http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-48-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ99I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1433817992&sr=8-6&keywords=led+aquarium+lights  but Arctic Mama says its not very reliable.

My tank is 47 inches long, and 18 inches deep. So I'm guessing I'll need something fairly bright to reach the bottom.

No plans for adding plants currently, but I may give Java Fern a try at some point as I've grown it successfully in the past.

Thanks!

I have those Finnex Stingray lights on all of my tanks and I love them!  They are inexpensive and my tanks are deeper than yours, but the light still reaches the bottom to grow plants no problem.  I like that they are so narrow (front to back when they are positioned on the tank)-before this I had marineland LEDs which were wider and I was constantly having to move them in order to fit my arm in the tank to replant stuff or clean.  This is not a problem at all with the finnex.  One thing I will say is that I have not had mine very long, so perhaps they will crap out after time as Arctic Mama said.  I will just have to wait and see :)

The Finnex fixtures are good for their price! If it just for illumination you could also look at one of those popular Marineland fixtures. :)

I also have the Stingray one. :)

I like it a lot! It makes my banana plants grow like crazy and that makes me a lot happier than i knew it would. :rofl

I made a post about my fixture here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119891-Finnex-Stingray-LED-Light-(pic/blur-heavy)

• Helper

Really, just aim for the middle of the line from these places, not lower end, and the comparable increase in quality control and durability will be fine. Buying economy models of lighting, but especially LEDs, can backfire.

If price is the biggest issue, go fluorescent. Much easier to get bright, cheap lighting with user replaceable components. The running cost is higher, but not ridiculously so.

/token dissenter!

Edited by Arctic Mama

I've got the stingray on two of my tanks and am very happy with them, but I've also only had them a couple months.

One replaced an ancient, second hand, single bulb, florescent which came with my second hand 55 tank. The other replaced the super cheap built in led lighting on a 10gal set hood/light combo.

There were clearly visible improvements over both of my previous fixtures.

Price was a big deciding factor for me after already having spent so much on everything else, these seemed like the best I could find for the price point. Again I don't know how it will be in the long run but for now I'm very pleased which is why I went back and upgraded the second tank.

With no plans for plants I would not stress about having a powerful light. Even with plants I wouldn't... The fish don't need it, and probably won't appreciate it. A decent light does make for nice viewing though. Just think about how you might a super bright day when you forget your sunglasses!

Its one of the reasons I'm intent of grabbing the java fern. I can just attach them to whatever decorations, driftwood or whatever I plan on adding, they'll offer some shade, plus they hopefully won't end up as a goldfish snack. :)

And if I wanted to try a different kind, well I've already got flowerpots in there. :)

So the Stingray has worked well for you guys with plants? 

I'm also contemplating this one, even though the price tag is kind of painful.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HURE/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1434456135&sr=1-7&keywords=led+aquarium+lighting

Edited by Phil B.

With the stingray all my low light plants have done great,I've stuck to low light, goldfish friendly plants. Ludwiga repens, java ferns and moss, amazon swords, water wisteria, rotala, and even red Ruben, banana plants.

(but you don't need any special lighting for java ferns or moss at all.)

The only plants I've had trouble with were ludwiga palustris. But I'm low tech as well and hear this one can be finicky anyway.

Edited by Sieta

no co2,not heavily planted...

I've got to disagree, a low tech tank can be heavily planted. No tech tanks can be heavily planted too.

I consider low tech to be low/medium light and optional liquid co2/ferts.

Edited by dan in aus

Sorry Dan,my Bad ;)

I was understanding that any co2 was not for beginners therefor not low tech...

I may be wrong as to how other people use the term but personally I also consider low tech as meaning no co2 injections.

I do use metricide liquid dosing for co2, and root tab ferts and still consider myself low-tech because I don't actually have a co2 injection setup running straight to my tank.

• Admin

Sorry Dan,my Bad ;)

I was understanding that any co2 was not for beginners therefor not low tech...

Hun they have liquid Co2 now.... Yeah I remember when I first got my Planted tank and had a Co2 thingy that you had to put yeast and sugar in and let it bubble into a hose line into the tank... Now they have it alot easier :thud: