Dropsy

I'll do one for the main tank, one for the quarantine tank, although Gus hasn't been in the main tank for 6 days now.

Main tank:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6.
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature? 80 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45 gallons
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aquaclear 110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 80%, 1-2 a week
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 80%, 6 days ago
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Right now 1, maybe 6 inches body
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-gold, repashy, 2 times daily
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi multiple times, probably 4 months last.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Raised scales on Gus, please see pictures below.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Actually very active, eating, but starting to float upside down.

Quarantine tank:

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.25 average
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
    • * Water temperature? 80-82 F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons 6 days
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? None
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50-75%, 4 times a day on average
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50%, right now
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Right now 1, maybe 6 inches body
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2.5-5 grams Repashy with 1% metronidazole (of food weight, pre mixed).
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
    • * Any medications added to the tank? 180 mg kanamycin, 90 mg metronidazole, 1/2 teaspoon epsom salt
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The above, past 6 days
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Raised scales on Gus, please see pictures below.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Actually very active, eating, but starting to float upside down.

Here are pictures:

This is 6/1/15, first day we noticed:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa368/dancingclown/Gus_sick%20009_zpssms5gnrl.jpg

This is 6/3/15:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa368/dancingclown/Gus_sick%20011_zpshldr5iko.jpg

This is today, 6/7/15:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa368/dancingclown/Gus_sick%20013_zpsup3p59ok.jpg

Short story: we noticed raised scales, quarantined with 180 kanamycin (for 10 gallons), 90 mg metronidazole (1/2 dose for 10 gallons), and 1/2 teaspoon epsom salt. We are also feeding 2.5-5 grams Repashy, which contains 1% metronidazole of powder weight. Gus weighs 213 grams, so we're shooting to feed him medicated food 1-2% of body weight, and this medicated food is 1% metronidazole. The 1/2 dose metro in the water was because we weren't sure if he was going to be eating, and hedged our bets. (Our understanding is metro is a little more forgiving dosage-wise, than say kana).

He's actually eating great, but seems to be not improving, and possibly doing worse. Having some buoyancy issues (upside down sometimes now), and the last picture shows a little bit of a bubble near his eye, which is new. (I just noticed the picture has little white dots, that's not on Gus, that's just the water). The ammonia can be non-zero in the quarantine tank, but I'm not sure we can do much about it - changing the water roughly 4x a day.

We're looking for advice for the length of treatment, and if anything needs to change. I recall metromeds were 14 days but the powder usually says 7. We also have metromeds, but they've been opened for a while. We also have medigold, but they were purchased a long time ago. So we've been making due with the homemade medicated food instead.

Many thanks, feel like we're running out of options =(.

I'm a bit confused on your Repashy feeding. What do you mean you're feeding 2.5-5g of Repashy? And how did you calculate how much metro to add to the gel food? :idont

Everything you're doing seems right so I'm surprised he's not improving. I'm just wondering if he's not getting the full dose of metro he needs . . .

Q: I'm a bit confused on your Repashy feeding. What do you mean you're feeding 2.5-5g of Repashy?

A: Yes, we're feeding approximately 2.5 - 5 grams of medicated replashy (soilent green) per day.

Q: And how did you calculate how much metro to add to the gel food?

A: We used 3 parts water and 1 part replashy, the weighed the food. Then we calculated how many grams of metro powder to add to the food such that the metro was 1% of the total weight. E.g. the food weighed 99g and the metro powder weighed 1g, so that the metro powder was 1% of the total food weight of 100g.

Edit: Sorry, if you mean how did we get the 1% number, it was from a post on Koko's. Trying to dig it up now. Thanks!

Edited by dancingclown

We're currently having trouble finding the Koko's post with the gel food recipe. There is this one:

http://thegab.org/Articles/MedicatedGelFood.html,

but we recall double checking with a Koko's post as well. I'll keep looking.

In any case, if we have the wrong proportion of metronidazole, it would definitely be helpful to know...

Thanks!

• Supporter

if you're treating the tank water, there is no need to be feeding the goldfish medicine (i would be concerned for overdosing). i would treat as per recommendation from the manufacturer..

in fact, i would look at reducing the feeds to one or twice a day, very light meals (no medfood). change the water less. the fish could be stressing from so much handling of it or it's environment. keep it in a dark(ish) room, no direct sunlight or overhead lights.

change water only once a day. please follow instructions as per the video below and share the results

since the fish is currently floating, stop all other feeds (including medfood) and feed peas twice a day for a few days so that we can rule out constipation. 1-2% body weight of food each day is a lot. 

Thanks for the help. We've stopped the medicated food, and have the metro in the water at 180 mg per 10 gallons (the recommended).

Gus is currently floating upside down, and cannot right himself up =(. The room is dark, and we'll attempt to reduce the water changes, although I assume we should still change if the ammonia increases. We'll feed much less to try and stop the ammonia increases though.

His poos have actually looked quite healthy. Very green, full, and constantly pooing. But the upside-down and raised scales have gotten worse, I think.

We'll video the stomach and gills, but later tonight when we have 2 pairs of hands - is that okay? The gills part is scary...

Thanks again.

Edit: Oh a question I forgot. Kana and epsom are still in at the same quantities. This is day 7. Is there a maximum amount of time for those two medications?

Edited by dancingclown

I'm on my phone so ease forgive my questions cuz I don't feel like looking up this stuff.

What do the directions say on the metro bottle you're using as far as dosage amount?

Kanaplex will be used for 12 days. I'd dose Epsom at 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons. Not sure where you're at right now.

Epsom is currently at 1/4 tsp per 5.

The metro directions say 1-2 scoops (each about 100 mg) per 10 gallons. We're currently at 2 scoops per 10 gallons.

Thanks for the help. It's the Seachem blue bottle metro and kana.

Edit: We're currently at 2 scoops per 10 gallons. We were at a lower dosage (1 scoop per 10 gallons) before, when we were also feeding the medicated gel food.

Edited by dancingclown

• Supporter

i am not seeing much in terms of retained fluids (from the photos you posted).. so the Epsom at this stage is not important, yet won't cause harm. so that is the least of things to worry about currently.

more importantly are the doses for medication. thank you for stopping the medfeeds.

re the handling of your fish for the gills exam, since it is floating on the side, currently, checking the gills will be an easy process. they do have 'give' to open up as i have shown in the vid, just be gentle, patient and don't panic. notice how i don't force beyond what is required? ie, it's not a hinged door. just cup the fish in your hand until it is very comfortable and stops wriggling, do this a few times before the examination. when you are totally convinced the fish is comfortable and not expecting you to do much more, go to check the gills :)

Ok, upped to 1/2 tsp epsom per 5 gallons as suggested above.

Video here:

https://youtu.be/htWsgA7fzLI

Sorry, we had trouble getting the gill cover up =(, but the belly feels soft, not like the example video you posted above. No bounce.

He's still hungry and looking for food, but floating upside down and can't right himself up.

Not sure what we can do... =(. Thanks again for the help, and kind words!

Edited by dancingclown

We want some advice-- at the end of tomorrow, Gus will have completed 12 days of Kanaplex and Metro powder in the water. His scales have gotten worse, and he spends all his time belly-up. However, his appetite has not changed (he always seems starving and begs when we come near the tank).

Given we're nearing the end of the antibiotic treatment, and Gus has gotten worse, not better, what do we do? Can we extend Kana past the 12 days? Do we try another kind of medication? Is epson salt ok for 12 days?

Gus is not doing well... His appetite is still good, but his dropsy is worse and his spine is curved to one side.

We stopped the Kanaplex, but still giving him Epson and Metro  powder in the water. Today is day 14 of meds. Can we continue the Metro and Epson?

Can you upload a picture? What other meds do you have?

Continue Epsom salt and metro until you hear otherwise.

Edited by LisaCGold

Here are two updated pictures:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa368/dancingclown/Gus_61615%20002_zpsmx1pnhng.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa368/dancingclown/Gus_61615%20003_zpse5lr5lds.jpg

Metro and Kana are the only meds we have on hand, besides old metro-meds and old medi-gold, although we can try and get whatever we need.

We have continued metro and epsom. Gus is still very hungry, his poos look good, but he's still upside down and his scales are still out. I am not sure what is happening here.

Thank you for the help =). We have had fish with dropsy before, but I don't think any of them survived this long.

Sorry, on my way out the door, but first guess I'd think the metro meds are least more than one year old. (I need to check purchase records or medication records to try and detective out an exact date, when I'm back home).

His tail used to be bent, but not so much any more. It's also hard to tell if the scales are coming down. They're definitely still up, but we can't tell if maybe less than before. He's so hungry...

One thing I'll note is we've been on metro + epsom for more than 14 days now.

Thank you again.

Edited by dancingclown

Our MMs are opened. I could only find a receipt from 2012. I'm not sure if I'm just missing a receipt or if they're really that old.

We're currently at 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons. About going up - is there a maximum time you're supposed to use epsom for? I thought I remembered something like that...? Or is this not the situation where it is relevant?

Thanks!

Our MMs are opened. I could only find a receipt from 2012. I'm not sure if I'm just missing a receipt or if they're really that old.

We're currently at 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons. About going up - is there a maximum time you're supposed to use epsom for? I thought I remembered something like that...? Or is this not the situation where it is relevant?

Thanks!

Okay, we think you should try your Metro Meds immediately even though they are old.  The fish will die from the dropsy anyway if you don't act immediately and we feel that Metro Meds are your best option for a successful treatment.  Remember to weigh your fish and then feed it 1% of it's body weight daily.  Divide that into 3 daily meals if possible.   I can also send you some fresh Metro Meds if you are willing to reimburse me for the postage.  Once they arrive, you can discontinue using the old Metro Meds and start feeding mine.  Just PM me with your address if you are interested.  

We have recently begun to reevaluate the amount and duration of Epsom Salt treatment.  I wouldn't worry about an exact duration of treatment.  Basically, when the scales start to flatten, we will reduce or stop the Epsom Salt.  Let's get the dosage up to 1 Teaspoon per 5 gallons .