Prazi, Salt and plants

LouiseAnn

Hi Everyone,

It's time to do the ol prazi treatment again... only this time I have planted tanks :) 

Can I still follow usual prazi treatment using powder prazi and salt? 

Will it harm my plants? 

Should I be posting this somewhere else? 

Thank you :)

It depends on the salt concentration you use and the type of plants you have.  Is this a maintenance round as opposed to a new fish QT?  I typically don't use salt for maintenance rounds . . .

It depends on the salt concentration you use and the type of plants you have. Is this a maintenance round as opposed to a new fish QT? I typically don't use salt for maintenance rounds . . .

It's a maintenance round.

I do have new fish in QT however they don't have plants in there tank.

So it's the salt that is no good for plants... Depending on the plant type?

As a rule of thumb I avoid salt with plants unless absolutely necessary. Prazi should be fine though, I've not had it kill anything. :)

• Helper

I don't personally do salt unless it's for a specific hospital tank treatment or original quarantine. Especially with plants, I work too hard to get them healthy to salt them and risk lysing any cells and melting or killing my plants! :scared

Prazi only for me.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Why do we use salt with prazi?

It helps to prevent secondary bacterial infections that can be inoculated into the fish by the fluke's haptens (hooks).  Hikari says that a salt concentration above 0.1% can diminish the effectiveness of their Prazipro liquid and they are iffy about even that much salt.  I think it has something to do with the way they suspend the Prazi to make it a liquid.  Unfortunately, we have never been able to find a conclusive answer about the use of salt with Prazipro.  For new fish quarantine, I prefer to use Aqua Prazi powder along with salt at 0.3% as salt does not interfere with the activity of Prazi in powder form.  I also feel that 0.3% salt is more effective at staving off secondary bacterial infections than 0.1% salt which is more for minor injuries, etc.  Most of us forego salt altogether when doing maintenance rounds of Prazi because of plants in our main tanks.  Lastly, I recommend that people always do 2 rounds of Prazi 4-5 days apart for maintenance as there is sufficient data to suggest that the eggs and larvae may survive the first round.