Sign in to follow this  
Calamity

Betta with Injury/illness

Hey everyone

I just brought this cute little guy home today, fully knowing hes got an issue, but I really liked him and have a guarantee from the seller.  I think it's some type of fungus.

Anyway.

I want to start treating him for whatever this is that he has got.

His tail is a bit nipped from tank mates at the store, so im hoping that will grow back to normal as well.
It definitely looks sort of fungus-ish by eye, like sort of fuzzy and sticks out, hard to see that in the photos, the 4th/blurry photo shows the texture and size best.

So 1. What is this spot above his eye?
 and 2. What is the best medication to treat it?

Sorry he's being a bit of a poop head for photos, and gives me the opposite side of him.

I have no water perams for you because its all brand new water.  Lets think, QT tank water, fresh!
Nothing but Prime has been added, Ph of 7, temp is just room temp for now mid 70's

He is residing in a totally plain 5gal tank right now, and will eventually move into a 5gal planted.
I have a variety of medications in my fish bucket and I know many may be listed for 1 thing but can treat numerous others.

medications I have on hand are:
Melafix
Pimafix
Methylene blue
Mardel Coppersafe
Kordon 100% Natural Ich Attack (this one seems pretty useless)
Kordon Rid-Ich Plus
Maroxy
E.M. Erythromycin
Tetra Parasite Guard
Mardel Maracyn Two.
Prazi Pro

Thank you!

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

Hopefully someone will come along soon who will know what to tell you on how to treat whatever that is. I just wanted to say what great photos those are, and that your betta is a stunner! Very pretty!

I would start with pristine water, 0.1% salt and heat the tank to 80F.  You need a heater if you are going to keep a Betta.  It looks to me like he has sustained considerable fin damage in the past which has healed. This seems particularly evident on the dorsal fin.  If the spot near the eye doesn't respond to the salt, we may want to try the Methylene Blue.

Nice fish.  I love the color combo :)

Yes, he is a beautiful fish. I agree completely with Jared - I highly doubt medication is needed here. Heated water (always always for a Betta, mine are happier in the 82-84 degree range!), 1 ppt of salt (a teaspoon per gallon if you're not weighing it), and keeping up on water changes. I'd expect him to look immensely better in a two weeks of this treatment :)

I'd really only advise spot treating the fungusy area if it stays cottony or worsens. Any healing or diminishing of the fungus is a good sign it won't need specific treating, and the salt and lack of stress may well do the trick on its own.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Gorgeous Betta!!!!!

I keep my other betta at 76-78 and he zooms around all day like a big idiot and pretends he's not too fat to chase his shrimp "friends" 

I know bettas need heat and filtration, he will be done up in an Aqueon evolve 8, that I will do planted and possibly with a different kind of shrimp then my other guy.  But I don't want him in that until im sure he wont need medications, don't want to use copper or something with the acrylic then that tank cant be used for saltwater critters down the road.

My only spare heaters here are either a 250w that's too tall for the tank, or they aren't thermostatically controlled like my expensive ones, so they don't have an internal device that tells them to shut off when it hits 80 or whatever....  mmm cooked fishie.....
I still have to play shuffle the heaters and I should be able to get a 75w for use in his future 5gal.... My 50 is in the other bettas tank. I might have one I don't realise hidden in one of the tanks or something.
Right now its so bloody warm its 85degrees in the house at 9pm with windows all wide open.... So his tank has stayed around 78 with no help. 

So I can use my canning salt that I purchased for the goldfish and used with their quarantine?

Yes, but the canning salt would be 3/4 tsp per gallon since it is very fine and dense :)

Very pretty betta, I think he is a mustard gas?

Good luck with healing him all up, he should recover quickly in your care.

Edited by Niki

I keep my other betta at 76-78 and he zooms around all day like a big idiot and pretends he's not too fat to chase his shrimp "friends" 

I know bettas need heat and filtration, he will be done up in an Aqueon evolve 8, that I will do planted and possibly with a different kind of shrimp then my other guy.  But I don't want him in that until im sure he wont need medications, don't want to use copper or something with the acrylic then that tank cant be used for saltwater critters down the road.

My only spare heaters here are either a 250w that's too tall for the tank, or they aren't thermostatically controlled like my expensive ones, so they don't have an internal device that tells them to shut off when it hits 80 or whatever....  mmm cooked fishie.....

I still have to play shuffle the heaters and I should be able to get a 75w for use in his future 5gal.... My 50 is in the other bettas tank. I might have one I don't realise hidden in one of the tanks or something.

Right now its so bloody warm its 85degrees in the house at 9pm with windows all wide open.... So his tank has stayed around 78 with no help. 

So I can use my canning salt that I purchased for the goldfish and used with their quarantine?

Okay, good because heat alone does wonders for sick Bettas :)

He hasn't touched any food yet since coming home. 
He didn't even look at it when it floated past him to the bottom.
I will try some frozen stuff later to see if that gets him to eat.
I know for Salt tanks you can soak pellet or frozen food in garlic for sick fish (ick) and to entice eating, would the same thing apply to bettas?

This is my other dummy.  So probably a similar setup for this guy when he feels better.

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

11258999_10153010099417991_195540238_n.j

Edited by Calamity

Beautiful!  

Try some frozen bloodworms for the new fish :)

you take really good pics!

Thank you Niki

I have like 20 kinds of Omega One pellet and flake food, but my only types of frozen are Mysis, Cyclopeeze, Krill, Brine, and Plankton.

I kept reading too many things where frozen bloodworms gave the fish ____ parasite or other issue, so I just don't buy them lol. 
The frozen is all purchased for the salt tank, so again don't have a real need for the bloodworms.  The goldfish eat pellets and spinach and enjoy the other frozen stuff as a treat once in awhile.

Poor little dude!

Whatever this is, it's clearly spreading with the stress of coming home with me.  Just took a good look at him again with some real light since my room is so dark....

There is now another spot slightly behind his gill from the first one, and the other side of him now has the start of 2 spots - 1 between his gill and eye, and the other closer to the back of his head.
Their actually almost mirrored on either side of him....
He is still being a poo for photos.
He did show some interest and take a small nibble on some frozen krill I tossed in there. 
I'm headed home tomorrow (at my parents house today so he will have to travel with me either bagged or in a betta container of some sort) would it be better for his transport water to be normal or salted as well?
And which medications are worth bringing with me for him? The rest will stay at this house as emergency for the 3 tanks here.

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

Frozen bloodworms are safe. It looks like to might benefit from that methylene blue swabbing now, though :)

I feed my Goldfish and my Betta frozen bloodworms every day and have never had a problem.  Hikari, in particular are very safe.  Live bloodworms, however, have potential for parasites.

Do the spots seems to be creating holes in the head?  It almost appears so in the photos?

Frozen bloodworms are safe. It looks like to might benefit from that methylene blue swabbing now, though :)

Never done that before.  Any how to pages or info on that?

I feed my Goldfish and my Betta frozen bloodworms every day and have never had a problem.  Hikari, in particular are very safe.  Live bloodworms, however, have potential for parasites.

Do the spots seems to be creating holes in the head?  It almost appears so in the photos?

Haha well next time I do a wholesale order perhaps I will purchase some!  The Krill and Plankton go over really well with everyone here as well.

I don't know honestly.... to the naked eye, no they don't look like holes.  And the "fungus" or whatever it is, actually appears like a growth on the surface of him.  Where as in most of the photos it looks pretty flat.  But the macro lens really makes a big difference..... especially in that 3rd photo I just added. That first spot looks like tiny little holes, but I don't see that at the other spots, they just have a slight fuzzy look to them.  I can try and grab a better light and do better photos, but its sort of hard to hold a fish and a heavy SLR camera at the same time while trying not to dunk your light in the tank ;)

I also found some lifeguard tablets in my fish box.  Not sure if those would be of any use.  I'm trying to pack my stuff up to head back home and just not sure what meds to bring with me for him :\ Ill bring the meth blue if you think spot on would help... I will loose my mind that that bottle leaks.... But given im not sure what this guy even has, I don't know what to bring!

Double bag it just in case, it stains like mad!

Yup I know how good that stuff is at staining... I bet it would make a great hair dye... hmm....
Got it taped and triple bagged.  Grabbed a few more meds so I've got a good mix for bacterial stuff, parasitic stuff, and fungal type stuff.... Ugh... I don't even know what this is that he's got! Anything on my list you guys would suggest is an absolute must bring? Got my salt, got a bit of prazi...

He should be okay if I put him back in the bag I brought him home in for a 3 hour car ride?
I mean.. they get shipped in those little triangles. So a bag can't be that bad....
Poor guy, I feel so bad for him :( I hope he gets better.

Give the bag plenty of oxygen and comparably little water volume. Don't try to feed him the day before he is moved, though it sounds like he is semi fasted anyway. The emptier his digestive system is the better for water quality in transport.

So he is sorta settled now, I've got the 5g set up on the bathroom counter to make water changes easier.

Anyway.  He seems interested in food, I offered more frozen this morning and he swam towards it, tasted it, then spit it out.  He went for other pieces and when realised they were the same as the first stuff he wanted nothing to do with them. Seems like hes just being a picky poop head.  The pellets I tried to offer last night were still on the bottom of his tank as of this morning as well. So as far as I know he still hasn't eaten.  I think his spots still look the same, will try and get photos after work tonight.

He still hasnt eaten anything.

Ive been offering food in the morning then vacuuming it out and replacing it with same % salted water. No poops yet. And the food left on the bottom of the tank looks untouched so hes still not eating.

Im going into town tomorrow to grab some bloodworms and maybe some flake to try for him.

If all else fails my Rili shrimp had babies while i was gone and i have another momma preggo so i could try offering him live shrimp in that sense. Dont think i have the equipment to try live brine.

He still hasnt eaten anything.

Ive been offering food in the morning then vacuuming it out and replacing it with same % salted water. No poops yet. And the food left on the bottom of the tank looks untouched so hes still not eating.

Im going into town tomorrow to grab some bloodworms and maybe some flake to try for him.

If all else fails my Rili shrimp had babies while i was gone and i have another momma preggo so i could try offering him live shrimp in that sense. Dont think i have the equipment to try live brine.

My Betta goes gaga for thawed frozen bloodworms :)

So he eats flakes, and will eat the blood worms if they float.... as soon as their not at the waters surface he wants nothing to do with them. Uggh I had to get the picky fish.

Spots don't look like their getting worse so that's good. And now that hes eating I think he will start looking better soon.
But he is still the worlds biggest turds for photos.

IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg