Good 'Beginner' Fish

Phil B.

• Helper

Thanks to everyone for being so patient with me as I learn the ropes. A lot of dumb questions I know. :)

I guess I misunderstood the heating issue. I was reading and article on Oranda's and it mentioned that they preferred a warmer tank than the average goldie.

There are varying opinions but I haven't seen anything to substantiate that they need much warmth. The indoor temps your comfortable at with should be about right for your fish. My unheated tanks are ranging between 68-72 this summer and my fish are thrilled. My heated tropical tanks are in the 79-81 range, but my goldfish haven't been doing as well that warm - they prefer the make oxygen rich cooler water. They can acclimate to a wide range of temps, as Chelsea mentioned, but 65-70 seems to be a sweet spot,

I'm in the minority that prefer heated tanks and maintain a constant temperature of about 77F, as I've found that it helps speed metabolism and avoid issues related to constipation/slow digestion. Right now I'm keeping pearlscales, and I truly believe a heated tank will help delay (or hopefully avoid altogether) the onset of SBD (swim bladder disease), which they are incredibly prone to developing.

I also have no interest in breeding my goldfish -- which is a good thing, as they need a natural warm/cold cycle for that to happen easily.

Thanks to everyone for being so patient with me as I learn the ropes. A lot of dumb questions I know. :)

I guess I misunderstood the heating issue. I was reading and article on Oranda's and it mentioned that they preferred a warmer tank than the average goldie.

Hmmm.  What I have read about orandas is that they suffer more from higher temperatures than other goldies because of their wens.  I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but it does seem logical.  

The truth is that goldfish have one of the widest temperature tolerance of any species of fish.  For common goldfish, the range is 32F to 106F.  For fancy goldfish the range is less, but how much less has not been measured, and It would differ with variety.  Like all cold-blooded animals, their metabolic rate, their growth rate, their age of maturity, their rate of aging all depend on temperature.  The higher the temperature, the faster they metabolize, grow, mature, age, and die.  

The the northern half of the US, goldfish begin their peak reproductive period at about three years,  while tropical goldfish are may be too old to breed at this age.  As healthy as they are, I doubt that my pond fish will live even half as long as northern goldies that have a real winter to rest through every year.  

I don't expect my room to get much above the mid 70's in summer, and mid-60's in winter since I like to keep my room comfortable. And of course havign a larger tank should prevent any serious temperature fluctuations. So I suspect we'll be okay.

• Helper

That's great temperatures wise. Some of us keep a heater on hand for our quarantine/hospital tanks, since there are conditions we treat by raising the heat a bit to speed up the lifecycle of particular parasites, but that's really the only 'needful' heater use. The rest is preference :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with many of the other posts, if you want a hardy fancy, fantails are the way to go. :)

I have 3 of them myself. My avatar pic is one of them.