New allergy :-(

Niki

So this is the first time I have expierenced an allergy like symptom.....I'm still in denial that it could even be my cat.

Every morning I wake up with red puffy eyes, loaded with sleep (ew gross I know, sorry). My cat sleeps in my room and sometimes on my pillow (I'm sure this is the cause). I have zero intentions of te homing my cat, he's been with me for 5 years and I love him dearly.

I was wondering who else here lives with cats and allergies? How do you cope? I thought about some meds but think they mostly cause drowsiness....has any one else just developed allergies to cats? (I thought ppl well just full of $£|+, but I guess not?!?!)

Niki, it sounds like you might have a dose of conjunctivitis.  Just go to your chemist and see if they have any over the counter antibiotic eye drops for you to use.  Otherwise you might need a script from the Dr.  If that is all it is it should clear up in a few weeks with antibiotics! 

I'm wildly allergic to cats, yet I live with one ... and I work in an animal shelter. :yikes

I love generic Zyrtec. It's my favorite over the counter allergy med and it doesn't make me drowsy (though it can cause drowsiness in some folks).

Allergies and cats can coexist. :)

• Helper

I was very allergic to my rats when I had them (they have died now) and have had positive results in allergy tests for cats and dogs too, I have 3 cats and 2 dogs :yikes: I couldn't imagine life without them, so I kept trying different allergy tablets until I found one that worked for me and didn't make me sleepy. Weirdly enough it's the same one as RD - the generic brand of Zyrtec. It keeps them pretty much in check, although some days are worse than others

Do allergy injections (sorry can't remember their proper name!) exist where you are? I had a course of them booked but I wouldn't have been able to attend the weekly appointments with the unpredictable hours of my job at the time.

My allergy to cats is very severe (and has been since I was about 4yrs old) and would never be able to live with one, no matter how much I would want to :( They trigger horrible asthma attacks, swollen lips and all the usual allergy symptoms but to the point where I wouldn't be able to have any pleasant quality of life in the house.

Is it just your eyes that are affected? If so, maybe Ree is right and it is something more like conjunctivitis rather than an allergy.

I hope it isn't an allergy and you can still enjoy living with your kitty kat :hug

Has anything else changed in the house? Since you are on a fish forum I have to ask if you feed blood worms. I have bad allergic reactions to blood worms and some fish food. I have had the same reaction with my eyes if I touch near them after feeding the fish. I now use gloves anytime I am near bloodworms.

I would wash your pillow cases and linens.  Then, put your pillows away during the day and only use them for yourself at night.  Give the cat his own special pillow and put it at the foot of the bed rather than where your rest your head.  You can also cover your bed with a cat blanket during the day to help keep the dander off your linens.  Try to always put the same side down so as not to get the dander on your linens and wash it often.  See if this helps.  If not, you can try a 12-hour antihistimine about 12 hours before you want to wake up.  

Do you have carpeting in your bedroom?

My cat is not allowed in my bed room. When I pet her I wash my hands right after.  I keep her hair off me with tape.  I take benadril every night.   I use to get the swollen gunky eyes and they itch.  Over time living with a cat mine are not so bad unless I forget my benadril or to wash my hands.  Then I sneeze a lot and get itchy eyes.

I would definitely see your doctor if this seems like a new thing, also to be sure it is allergies and not something else. A full allergy test may be a good idea if other things are ruled out. For years I thought I had certain allergies and it turned out to be different ones entirely that were causing my problem. I'm allergic to cats, but I'm also severely allergic to dust and grass. I have to take allergy pills and get allergy shots to deal with these. 

OMG, thank you everyone, these are some very insightful responses.

and HomerJay, yes I do feed frozen bloodworms.....to my fish at work and my fish at home.

Rae; I may have to try the eye drops.

Jared; I try to not let him sleep on my pillow, but when I am sleeping he climbs right up there (its a body pillow, ,so there is always room for him to sneak up there to sleep)

Also, I know it is not pink eye as I have had it as a kid and remember quite well what that was like, in addition to my irritated eyes my nose is stuff frequently.

I think I might try to see if it is the blood worms and be extra careful.

Also, I know it is not pink eye as I have had it as a kid and remember quite well what that was like, in addition to my irritated eyes my nose is stuff frequently.

I developed a weird allergy out the blue a couple of years ago, and then discovered it was bloodworms. Let us know your findings :)

I developed a weird allergy out the blue a couple of years ago, and then discovered it was bloodworms. Let us know your findings :)

This makes me wonder now... The last couple times I made gel food with blood worms in it my hands felt itchy and I got hives. Maybe I have an allergy to them too.  :hummm

It seems to be a pretty common allergy, but I remember being surprised at the time. I thought it was hay fever at first

A friend of mine can't eat gluten and then run or work out. If he is psychical active after eaten gluten, he breaks out. But if he doesn't run or anything of that sorts, he is fine!

I have asthma allergies, so everything with fur makes my eyes go red and itch, noses gets red, runs and itches. And I sneeze a lot. So this is why I have fish :D