The Tank Trio...

Ree

Well, they are only a duo at the moment, but I intend on adding one more to the fish crew in the 220L tank. 

After a horrifying QT we have both Louie, the 5g black moor and pOdge the 33g pearlscale in the 220L tank.  YAY!  It has been a long time coming, and so many times I didn't think we would make it... but here we are!   They arrived home in the same bag from the petshop, Louie with ich and pOdge with costia.  Not fun times ensued!

Thanks to everyone who made the process easier by their support and advice!  Thanks Koko, Alex, Lisa, Jared and Fantailfan1.  And thankyou so much to Mandy and Arctic Mama for their support and cheering the little duo on from the sidelines!  I promise next time I'll try to find a healthier fish to bring home. 

So here are the two monsters in their tank.  Louie has been in here three days, and pOdge just got 'plonked' in this morning.  The still have 2-4 more rounds of prazi to get through, but due to my chief water changer hurting his back, I'll do these rounds of prazi in their tank rather than in quarantine tanks.... less water changes for a few days.  

Ok the tank is not set up properly yet, I still need my suction cups to arrive for the airline, and after all the prazi is done, and everyone is back to good health I will be adding the finest dusting of black sand on the tank floor.  I also need to get my act together, and finish disinfecting the glass lids for the tank so that I can remove the towel.  The towel is there to stop the cat from thinking he can have a drink.... or a fish.  Hopefully he will get the idea.  So far so good.  He loves watching them... but I think he dislikes water too much for there to be any real worries... 

Please excuse my poor photo taking skills...

So... the tank from the front... pOdge is in the front just slightly to the right, and Louie is on the far right... can you see them?

SANY0877%202_zpsi5q3oypx.jpg

And here is the Finley (aka Fud, Finney, The Brown, Brown Cat, and many other nicknames... hes a Chocolate pointed Burmese :wub: ) checking out the new inhabitants, and hiding my mess of cords which have to be sorted out (thanks Fud!)

SANY0873%202_zpslkb89dnt.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice cabinet! I see both of your fish--very cute!! Tank is looking good also. Cute kitty too. Your tank is kitty TV!

:teehee we call it 'cativision' :whistle  :teehee

Your tank looks amazing :D I love the cabinet. I'm so happy to see both pOdge and Louie healthy enough to be in the big tank :D

Thankyou Mandy... its a bit of a relief!  I really didn't think we were gonna make it this far :no: ... but here we are :happydance ! 

Your tank looks amazing :D I love the cabinet. I'm so happy to see both pOdge and Louie healthy enough to be in the big tank :D

Thankyou Mandy... its a bit of a relief!  I really didn't think we were gonna make it this far :no: ... but here we are :happydance ! 

Hooray for pOdge! I was really rooting for that pearlie. He's a cutiepie. :heart

Here's wishing you an uneventful remainder of their Prazi treatment.

What are you thinking of for a third fish?

Hooray for pOdge! I was really rooting for that pearlie. He's a cutiepie. :heart

Thankyou, I will tell him he has to get better now!

I don't know... umming and arring between a ranchu and an oranda.... I just love those cheeks and lips!  So cute!

but then I don't want one that has too big a wen... I don't want it to grow over its eyes and stop it from seeing.... hmmmmmm

Edited by Ree

• Helper

Most orandas don't end up with wen issues. That's my big battle, too - I love both types equally and don't have space for both :D

Most orandas don't end up with wen issues. That's my big battle, too - I love both types equally and don't have space for both :D

:idea:   You get one and Ill get the other, and we will swap pictures... :teehee

That is a nice cabinet!  It looks good.  I vote for an oranda with long fins!

Thankyou!  Ohhhhhhhh Loooooooooooooooooooooong Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins.... :druel

I don't know... umming and arring between a ranchu and an oranda.... I just love those cheeks and lips!  So cute!

but then I don't want one that has too big a wen... I don't want it to grow over its eyes and stop it from seeing.... hmmmmmm

I'm really glad they made it through the awful QT.  You really hung in there  :clapping:

When you pick out your wenned fish, look for one that has moderate head growth and steer clear of the ones with an enormous amount.  Make sure the fish swims with ease and doesn't tip forward when at rest.  

Very nice!!!!

Thankyou Heidi030!  :happydance

Oh yay! I'm so glad your fish are finally together in their nice, big tank. Your kitty seems to be enjoying them in their new home too. :teehee

Thanks Blitz,  He has to go check on them before he goes to sleep at night.  If he tries to just go to sleep, he shuffles and wiggles, then gets up checks on them, then goes to sleep.  Maybe my cat has OCD too?  :teehee

I love how tiny they look in their nice big house! They'll have lots of room to grow up now.

Thanks QandD, they look so small!  But they are going to grow grow grow!  :hi

very nice!!!!

I also vote Oranda with long fins!

though my dream fish is a black Ranchu.....

you will know when you see the little fella

I'm really glad they made it through the awful QT.  You really hung in there  :clapping:

When you pick out your wenned fish, look for one that has moderate head growth and steer clear of the ones with an enormous amount.  Make sure the fish swims with ease and doesn't tip forward when at rest.  

Thankyou Jared.  I could not have done it without the support.  Thanks so very much!

Thankyou for the wenn tip.  I will definitely keep that in mind.  :hi

very nice!!!!

I also vote Oranda with long fins!

though my dream fish is a black Ranchu.....

you will know when you see the little fella

Thanks Niki, I do love Orandas!  I would love another fish with little pOdges personality.  He follows Louie around some of the time, but he is more interested in what I am doing... mmm wonder if it has anything to do with food???  :teehee

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have done two water changes over the last two weeks, and the tank has been super cloudy... I am hoping that is to do with the tank cycling and it will clear up when it is all cycled.  It looks murky... my OCD is yelling "water change, water change!" but I am not listening and going off the parameters, they are all good for the moment (prior to last WC ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrites 0ppm and nitrates 0ppm) and I know it will only be clear for a few hours before clouding up again... come on cycle

pOdge had an accident yesterday and scared the living daylights out of me :thud  , so he is back in QT now with a booboo.  Silly bulbous fish thinks he has a twiggy figure!  He bumped the heater (which was on an angle about 4" above and parallel to the filter outlet) and somehow it slid down the wall pinning him between the two.  So now he has a 1/2" patch of scales missing and bruising, but is swimming ok and eating fine.  He is in 0.1% salt, and on Kokos recommendation I have ordered some colloidal silver to give him some colloidal silver baths or dips (not sure which to call them).  She said it will help him heal which is what we are after!  I have to stop the salt before I start the colloidal dips/baths though otherwise it apparently has a chance of turning him blue?  Then he would be a 'bulbous blue boy"!  :teehee  I could not get any of the colloidal silver locally though, and had to mail order.  It will take 9-15 days to get here.... come on mail!

Louie is doing well, twitchy wiggling all around the tank.  She did get super upset when pOdge was taken out of the tank, frantically searching for him :krazy: . I had to move pOdges QT onto a table beside the main tank, which was RanchuDressings brilliant idea... I was in too much of a panic apparently to think of that!  Thankyou so much RanchuDressing for helping my poor nervous little Louie!  Once they could see each other they calmed right down.

Louie now though has figured out she can swim higher and lower than pOdge can in his QT... It seems she is either showing off, or she is egging him on to somehow get himself back into the main tank.  Its funny to watch their little personalities.  I really enjoy them.

Combining all the fish dramas with Hubby hurting his back badly, slicing open his finger and needing six stiches, both of us being very sick with some really nasty flu, and then me slicing my hand open (didn't need stiches though, very happy about that) when I was doing their last WC, we have had an eventful two weeks. 

Hopefully things will settle down now... famous last words????  :whistle

Edited by Ree

Gosh - hope everyone is doing better soon! I think that as long as fish are healthy to begin with, & have clean water, they heal quickly, so hopefully pOdge will be back to his usual self in no time.

Gosh - hope everyone is doing better soon! I think that as long as fish are healthy to begin with, & have clean water, they heal quickly, so hopefully pOdge will be back to his usual self in no time.

Thanks so much Shahbazin!  He is only just recovering from a bout of costia, so all I can do is the clean water and quiet for him I guess till the silver gets here. Ive noticed the spots from the costia have gotten worse again, and he has some swelling and a possible burn I didn't see yesterday.  But I am trying to remain positive... pOdge is going to get better... or else!

I know I said it was going to be a trio, but maybe that has changed....

Just wanted to let you all know I had a little accident at the pet shop yesterday.  I went in to see what they had for a tank divider, and accidently glanced at the tanks...  well there were two fish who were absolutely doing backflips to come home with me.  So I said to my Hubby, 'I really shouldn't get any today!  pOdge is still in QT from his heater accident!"  and Hubby said... "How often do we come in here and the fish actually look healthy?  You had better get two while they are healthy!"  and I said... "OK, twill mean more water changes, carrying buckets etc while they are in QT?"  and he said "but they look healthy!"  so I said "OK".  It was such a hard thing to be talked into.... LOL

So, here is the 39g Nudge... named because he nudged my hand through the bag all the way home, that's 45min worth of nudging...

I could be wrong, please let me know if I am, but I think Nudge is a boy, and he is a Nymph?

Nudge%20Hi_zpszrslxwj3.jpg

Nudge%20left%20colours_zpsx5celzet.jpg

Nudge%20Left_zpskdguqqo5.jpg

Nudge%20Right_zpsgqtoqkfn.jpg

And here is my little long body oranda who is 15g.  I cant tell yet if he is a she or a he, if any one knows pls tell me, but I suspect he is a he.  He has no name yet... still trying to think of one.  I am hoping that with some good food he will fatten up a bit, and look a little more like an oranda.

No%20name%20hello_zpsyanbibnk.jpg

Noname%20right_zps6ljuer1o.jpg

No%20name%20left_zps2gtfkm0w.jpg

As you can see from the last picture, everyone is pooping well.  I had only just put them in the tank 5 min before, so at least I know they are all good in that department.  They weren't yesterday, but looks like a couple of feeds of peas, and some good quality food have done the trick!

And one last photo, just because it amused me.  Here is Nudge nudging, and noname is looking quite concerned!

Nudge%20nudging_zpsqqlypppu.jpg

Nudge looks like he might have a little inflammation on the upper right side peduncle, and is flashing.  Noname is not flashing and appears to have no physical damage.  I have them both in 0.3% salt at the moment, and prime.  Will keep an eye on them and start their prazi tomorrow I think.

These are the last two I can fit in until I get my pond my Hubby has started talking about making for me.... YAY!

Ok, the Oranda is now named at Hubbys suggestion Smudge.  So we have Smudge, Nudge, Louie and pOdge.  And at the moment only little Louie is in the 220L tank... and she is the smallest!  :teehee

It's good you're killing all of Nudge's beasties early! Hope they make it through well. Very sweet fish.

Vickie and Duchess were both bag nudgers, too, even though they were very little! A good sign I think. :)