Help with my low tech planted goldfish tank

Sieta

Also I have some anacharis arriving today that I was planning to let grow on the top since I read that's where it does best... Would that count as my floaters? If not what would you recommend?

I've tried duckweed but my well fed boys who don't touch any of the other plants ate it all in 2 days.

I'm already ordering the crypts Mama suggested earlier I may as well through some floating ones in too if I need.

I was thinking something like water lettuce, but letting the anacharis float about will certainly suffice. It will shield light and should grow rather rapidly too. :)

• Helper

Riccia can make a nice floater - it also tends to get eaten less than duckweed. And any of the the water lily species.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you guys so much for all the help! :)

I really appreciate all the input, I was definitely feeling a little lost.

While I am having some challenges I'm glad I finally decided to go for a planted tank though and a goldfish one at that!

Oh I see... I thought you just started doing the Metricide to get a boost on the growth and then the BBA and Staghorn. My mistake. However, I do know that Elodea and some other plants like Vals are sensitive to carbon dosing. Maybe that's why you've got some melting going on.

What I would do is:

Raise the lights to decrease the amount of PAR hitting the surface of the water. When I started my last tank, Staghorn took over the entire top portion of the tank. Once I raised the lights it literally disintegrated before my eyes. I was having to shake it off and scoop it with a net. 

Decrease the photoperiod for the meantime until you get that balance. Then you could up it gradually. Mine are actually on for 12 hours so I can attest that a long photoperiod could work if you have a good carbon source (dirt in my case).

I would cut your dosage of the Metricide for the time being. You could always bring it up gradually again but I would go slow and keep an eye out if the melting occurs again. And, I would add macros and the micro to you fert schedule.

As for the BBA, I've yet to experience it. If you have fluctuations in CO2 I would increase the flow in your tank to distribute the CO2 more evenly. And, up the surface action to get more CO2 into the water column. I know it sound contrary to what you might have read but moving water is better than still water IMO.

Edit: I would cut the Metricide by a fourth.

Edited by Miss_Goldie

Riccia can make a nice floater - it also tends to get eaten less than duckweed. And any of the the water lily species.

Riccia is a fun weed, especially if you can get it to convert to its sinking form. People seem to hate, but I love it, it's a great plant for aquascaping. Be careful though because it does have a habit of getting caught up in other plants and growing where it's not supposed to.

• Helper

Yes, mesh and fishing line is nice for anchoring it, but it can be a bit invasive. That plus driftwood is one of my favorite looks, though :)

• 2 weeks later...

This tank is now algae free! I didn't have to kill it off it died on it's own with the addition of two riparium type planters.

Thought I'd post the update. I ended up adding two hanging planter boxes. Both with peace lilys.

(My Husband dipped the anacharis in peroxide before I could tell him to only dip a test piece) and killed the whole batch. I have one completely bare stem I'm trying to save but it's not looking so well. We were trying to decide where to put the new crypt plants and we were just afraid we were taking up too much floor space for the fish so we decided to do the planters to leave some substrate for the fish to dig in.

But it worked . I'll post a pic when I get time.

Edited by Sieta