Wen covering eyes

LouiseAnn

Hi everyone. My fish HappyHead is having trouble seeing. His wen has grown over 70% of both eyes.

He's eating fine and swims around fine.

Just want some info on wen trimming, if it's nessicary, risks involved, supplies needed and anything else.

I want to do what's best for my fish.

If he's going to deteriorate or if there is risk of infection of the eye because it's covered, I want to know.

I also want to know if surgery is too risky or not really needed if he's eating and swimming fine.

Thank you

I kept trying to get up the nerve to trim the wen on my first oranda.  I bought all the materials and studied all the videos.   Instead, I watched her deteriorate, hand fed her since she couldn't see food, couldn't eat from the top because her head was too heavy, and couldn't pick up food from the bottom because the wen kept her from getting her mouth to the bottom.  In spite of the hand feeding, she had a skinny body that looked even skinnier in comparison to her huge wen.  She lost all interest in life, except for taking food from my hand,  and spent her time drifting in a head down position until she died -- only about 3 years old.  I picked her out initially because of her neat little wen that was only on the top of her head.

I have not heard of any bad effects from wen trimming, although it will grow back and need trimming again.  I just couldn't cut.  I will never get another wenned fish, but I do have some that didn't have a wen when I got them and have grown one since, fortunately, small wens.

I've trimmed a wen once before to clear the eyes.  It's pretty nerve wracking and very risky.  The other problem is that the wen will eventually grow back and you will have to repeat the trimming every so often.  In addition, you will need to QT the fish with antibiotics afterwards to prevent infection.

I think most people leave it alone and the majority of these fish adapt without their eyesight.

I remember reading a topic recently . . . where a member took their goldfish to the vet for a wen trimming.  The vet studied info and videos from kokos, then did the procedure and all went well. 

Good Luck with whatever direction you decide to go!

:D

My goldfish's wens are also covering most of their eyes. They seem to be doing fine right now (although one seems to be quite lonely because his buddy is in QT). I thought about wen trimming, but I don't have steady hands. I'll just deal with their visual impairment.

I bought these fish from Petsmart. They had very compact wens. Their wens have gotten much bigger than I thought they ever would.

Oh I'm still not sure... I know the wen is in a position to easily lift and slice ???? (that sounds terrible)

Thank you so much Koko! that helps heaps :) 

I didn't know there are no blood vessels in the wen. SO I'm guessing its similar to cutting hair or toenails? 

• Admin

Thank you so much Koko! that helps heaps :)

I didn't know there are no blood vessels in the wen. SO I'm guessing its similar to cutting hair or toenails? 

:D

I used a scalpel and the curved iris tenotomy scissors when I did my wen trimming.  The scissors were great because the end of the blade curves away so you don't jab the eye.

I used a scalpel and the curved iris tenotomy scissors when I did my wen trimming.  The scissors were great because the end of the blade curves away so you don't jab the eye.

Jared, do you still trim your orandas' wen?

Jared, do you still trim your orandas' wen?

No, this was for a fish I had years ago that had an enormous wen.  My current Oranda doesn't need it.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Louise Ann, did you decide to trim? Just curious. If so, how did it go?

Very late reply, I did not choose to trim his wen, he is happy and finds food just like all the others.

I'll do it when I see signs of stress.

Louise Ann, did you decide to trim? Just curious. If so, how did it go?

Very late reply, I did not choose to trim his wen, he is happy and finds food just like all the others.

Oh that's good! ^_^

LouiseAnn, Should you decide to trim your fishy's wen, I recently posted a video on trimming the wen on one of my orandas: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123435-wen-trimming/