Black spot appeared after salt/prazi treatment (Also burst bubble!?)

Hi fellow users!

So we are in the middle of cycling our new tank, whilst waiting for it we got excited and decided to add a new Pearlscale to the family!

We did this as we have been planning on increasing our stock, and figured we may as well "QT" both fish at once, using the 0.3% salt and prazi regime.

The water conditions are fine, all reading 0.

After the second or 3rd day we noticed a small black smudge appear on Hype's back. Over the next few days the size of this smudge and intensity has increased, more likely to be called a black mark now, rather than a smudge.

From what I have read, this may be normal if he was initially affected by lice/flukes? Is it occurring as the lice are being affected by the treatment and coming out of his body?

P.S. We had a mishap yesterday when vacuuming, and Hype had one of his bubble cheeks pop!!! It was horrific! But, horror stories aside, is there anything I should keep an eye out on over the next few days to make sure he is ok? I believe the salt treatment he is already in should be beneficial?

This morning his bubble appeared slightly better than yesterday, but his actual eye does look a bit sore and red from the trauma.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

Could you please fill out this checklist and take clear photos of the affected fish, including good ones of the black spot and the burst bubble? 

Thank you. :heart I hope things go well!

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0-20ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - unsure
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - unsure
  •  

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Kit
  • * Water temperature? 20 degrees
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 Gallon QT tank (running for 5 months)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Biopro UVF-2200
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? During Prazi treatment, as per Koko’s guidelines prepared by DNAlex
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, approx. 50% at the start of round 2.

·        * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, one bubble eye one pearlscale

·        * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Fraction, 0.3% Salt, Prazi powder, Aquasonics goldfish water conditioner

·        * What do you feed your fish and how often? Fish Flakes Twice a day, peas twice a week.

·        * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, the pearlscale approx. a week ago

·        * Any medications added to the tank? Salt at 0.3% and Prazi

·        * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

First time medicating, up to second day of round 2 Prazi treatment

·        * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Black smudge mark appeared on Hype’s back

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

I have asked my partner to send me some pictures as I am back on site, I shall upload once received.

Thanks

Hey people,

Quick update for any interested :

Here is a clearer picture
Hype_Black_Smudge_newer.jpg

As you can see, his left eye is still quite red and sore by the looks from his vacuuming accident.... 

However, his bubble has pretty much almost returned to its normal size!!! It looks slightly different but I am amazed at how quickly it filled with fluid again! I think being in a QT tank under treatment may have assisted in this! Quite happy with that result.  :thumbup2: 

We will be up to round 3 of the salt/prazi treatment tomorrow. 

Hype's black smudge appears to be getting slightly bigger but no abnormal behaviour appears to be occurring... Still wondering if this is a normal reaction that the infection/infestation (if there was one?) is having to the salt/prazi?

• Helper

Don't worry about the black, it is most likely melanophore migration and is a sign of healing from mechanical or chemical injuries like ammonia burns, trauma from a wound, spawning injuries, etc. Very normal :)

Just keep an eye on the eye, no pun intended. Time, fresh water, and low stress is the very best thing you can do for it in addition to the treatments you're already undertaking.

Edited by Arctic Mama

And just so you know the melanophore migration might get worse before it gets better.  I panicked when after 3 or 4 days my pretty little orange oranda started getting black markings on him/her.  She/he is still in quarantine.  I am almost finished the prazi treatments and she is almost back to her pretty orange and white self.

Your fish is very sweet!  Enjoy your new baby :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would post an update on this topic, in case some people have not seen it mentioned in my blog post.

Our Qt cycle has nearly finished. Hype has a few more black spots on him. I hope/assume these will fade over time and no longer require salt????

The main thing I wanted to report back was how quickly his burst bubble repaired itself! He was already in QT with salt etc. when the vacuuming accident occurred. Within a matter  of weeks his bubble is fully healed and possibly bigger than it was beforehand!

Hype_Black_Smudges_2.jpg

Quite pleased with the result!

Edited by hughesyau

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd revive this one.

Our fish Hype has finished his QT session at least 2 weeks ago. As you can see from this original post, the black spots first appeared WELL over a month ago.

I have been informed it is normal for a fish recovering from some form of trauma, it appeared after his salt/prazi treatment so I assume the one on his back was from flukes (Which oughta be gone now...)

His cheek obviously would be because it was damaged by the syphon.

My question is, how long do these black marks normally stay around for? Even his fins have a black tinge to them and I want to make sure it's just a matter of biding my time, rather than me overlooking something I need to do?

Here are some recent pictures

23rqykh.jpg

2z3no79.jpg

Your help on this matter would be appreciated as always

Thanks

They seem fairly normal to me. After he eats a pea he likes to sit on the floor of the tank a bit... but other than that he seems ok, no gasping or anything ive noticed. Pearl seems completely fine also.

When you are treating for Flukes, you aren't doing it to kill all of the flukes. You are only treating to manage the population and get it down to acceptable levels. You will be doing maintenance rounds (1-2 rounds, no salt) every 6 months at least to maintain a low population. The initial treatment takes so long because the population of flukes that a fish has before ever being treated is so high to begin with. 

As far as the black goes, those seem to be new developments. Could you please re-fill-out the D&D form so that we can keep an eye on the water parameters?

I have already made another topic as I did not think reviving an old thread would get the most eyes on it, in that thread I have listed my D&D checklist recently. Hope this is ok.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122109-black-marks-persisting-after-qt/

• Helper

I know I originally said melanophore migration, which is what that spot seemed to be, but really it appears to be a very odd color change now unless the water quality has been terrible. Color shifting darker is very unusual but it can happen. More commonly a fish goes *from* chocolate or blue to orange, not *to* those shades.

I know I originally said melanophore migration, which is what that spot seemed to be, but really it appears to be a very odd color change now unless the water quality has been terrible. Color shifting darker is very unusual but it can happen. More commonly a fish goes *from* chocolate or blue to orange, not *to* those shades.

Thanks for the response. Water quality has definitely been top notch lately. Initially it had some ammonia issues when we were real new to the hobby but that was a few months ago now.

If it was horrible quality currently, i guess you would expect something similar to be happening to our pearl scale, yes?

So under the guise our water parameters are ok, is the general consensus this is not prolonged melanaphore migration from his flukes/vaccuuming accident? And could very well be a permanent change?

Again, appreciate your advice.

:)

• Helper

Color changes in goldies should never be regarded as 'permanent' :lol. They are notoriously unstable and it isn't unusual for s fish to change color partially or fully two or three times in its life. That said, darker pigment is less stable. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him shift back at some point. He may not, however.

If the water quality is good and remains stable, consider any color change safe and normal. It is only if you have a mechanical or chemical injury that the color shift, especially black smudges, would be a sign of healing (melanophore migration).

Edited by Arctic Mama