Update of My Cherry Shrimp Tank

Looks really nice! What do you do with all the extra shrimp when they breed?

Thanks! I tried feeding them to my goldfish, but that didn't work. My fish are orandas and their wens block a potion of their eyes so trying to chase down a fast moving shrimp is impossible.

I'm going to bring some to a LFS for credit. I've talked to the owner and they are happy to receive some.

Edited by LisaCGold

I never had luck with cherry shrimp.  Yours look great and tank looks amazing.

Thanks! I almost gave up last year. I had many months of shrimp dying. I did all kinds of things to stop the die off. I was down to about 12 shrimp when I finally figured out it was the lucky bamboo. Some of the leaves were yellowing (only the roots were submerged) and this may have caused a release of something toxic through the roots and into the water. Once I took out the bamboo all was well.

Wow what an awesome tank..... Ill take one tank like that :please:lol

I just love staring at this tank. I'm going to be adding more plants soon.

• Helper

It's beautiful! I'm glad your local fish store will be taking some extras, that's great.

Where did you get the driftwood? Locally or online?

Edited by Arctic Mama

It's beautiful! I'm glad your local fish store will be taking some extras, that's great.

Where did you get the driftwood? Locally or online?

It is spider wood driftwood. I got the driftwood at a LFS. I've seen it on ebay. Also substratesource.com sells it.

I'm happy that I have a place to take my extra shrimp since my goldfish can't eat them.

• Helper

I tried to grab some more driftwood locally but I wasn't able to find a piece sufficient for the look I wanted. I'll definitrly investigate your online sources. Mopani doesn't do it for me, I really prefer the look of branchier driftwood like that spider wood.

I tried to grab some more driftwood locally but I wasn't able to find a piece sufficient for the look I wanted. I'll definitrly investigate your online sources. Mopani doesn't do it for me, I really prefer the look of branchier driftwood like that spider wood.

Are you thinking of using spider wood with goldfish? The piece I have in my goldfish tank is a root piece. It doesn't have a lot of branches so less owie potential for goldfish.

• Helper

Yes, I was going to use it with the goldfish. I have a bunch of plants to anchor and hide, so it will be very densely packed in. I was also prepared to sand any overly jaggedly branches to make it safe. My crew is surprisingly unclumsy, so I'm not too worried, but better safe than sorry. I was going to fill all voids in between the branches with plants and silicone on planters and rocks to make a single unit centerpiece :)

I have driftwood of varying types in all my other tanks, but the scale of this one has made it tough.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yes, I was going to use it with the goldfish. I have a bunch of plants to anchor and hide, so it will be very densely packed in. I was also prepared to sand any overly jaggedly branches to make it safe. My crew is surprisingly unclumsy, so I'm not too worried, but better safe than sorry. I was going to fill all voids in between the branches with plants and silicone on planters and rocks to make a single unit centerpiece :)

I have driftwood of varying types in all my other tanks, but the scale of this one has made it tough.

The centerpiece idea sounds wonderful! You'll definitely need to post a picture when you get it completed.

• Helper

I definitely will. I've been meaning to make a thread detailing my whole build. My husband will be working on the cabinetry this weekend since the original had to be demolished, the plants are here, filters are cycling, I'll be replacing the bulk heads, siliconing together the planters and rocks, adding powerheads as needed, figrue out the appropriate light fixtures, blah blah blah. Lots to do.

If things go well tomorrow I'll start gathering pictures for the thread.

But yeah, your shrimp tank? Gorgeous. I love me a good smaller Invertabrates tank. Planted nanos are my absolute favorite tank types - I've been an Amano enthusiast since I was twelve - just shy of two decades!

Edited by Arctic Mama