Am I the only one...

A pond with a greenhouse cover can work in really cold weather.  Do you have a basement?  Many people in cold climates bring their fish into a basement pond for the winter.

• Helper

Haha, no basement. They are very rare here, unfortnstely. A greenhouse cover is a good idea. Would that circumvent the issue of -10 or -30 Fahrenheit? I also worry about snow load, we'd probably have to clear it off daily to keep it from buckling. The snow on top of the greenhouse would be a great insulator, though...

Where I've lived in the north, greenhouses grew plants year around at those temperatures.  A steep gable handles snow.   I always had a basement until I moved here, and living without one certainly made me appreciate basements.  Here, we don't have them because of the high water table.  Why don't you have them?

• Helper

I like basements too but most of Alaska doesn't have them. They aren are to build to the appropriate frost depth but not impossible (my inlaws have one). Seismically they're not super popular, either, but it's totally doable if designed properly. They're just very rare around here. In some areas they after table is an issue, others it is blasting out the granite (putting a slab down is easier).

I wish we had one, because we have NO play room for the kids and almost no storage. And I'd definitrly keep more tanks if that was the case. Now they're confined to my bedroom, living room, and kitchen :Rolf

I will keep the steep gabled greenhouse idea in mind. We are redoing our landscaping right now and I love ponds. I might not be able to convince hubs at this home but maybe the next one we build. I planned on doing an indoor pond in the atrium, anyway :)

Because fish are awesome, and apparently PAD is a thing :D

I like basements too but most of Alaska doesn't have them. They aren are to build to the appropriate frost depth but not impossible (my inlaws have one). Seismically they're not super popular, either, but it's totally doable if designed properly. They're just very rare around here. In some areas they after table is an issue, others it is blasting out the granite (putting a slab down is easier).

I wish we had one, because we have NO play room for the kids and almost no storage. And I'd definitrly keep more tanks if that was the case. Now they're confined to my bedroom, living room, and kitchen :Rolf

I will keep the steep gabled greenhouse idea in mind. We are redoing our landscaping right now and I love ponds. I might not be able to convince hubs at this home but maybe the next one we build. I planned on doing an indoor pond in the atrium, anyway :)

That is one thing I don't like about SoCal as well. I cannot get used to the fact that homes don't have basements. People who are from here are just used to it I guess... but to me it's like half the house is missing.  :teehee

Basements are everywhere here! At one point I lived in a house that was built into a hill so the basement and the back part of the first floor were below ground level.

My husband claims to HATE goldfish... We have them in the outdoor family pond with koi etc but for our tanks all he kept saying was NO goldfish... Since I have some medical issues and he does almost ALL the matinence, I had agreed to only have tropicals...

Then my brother in law gave us a 55gal complete with stand and everything. So I whined and whined for my goldfish until he caved lol.

I knew 2-3 was all I wanted for it to keep them in a roomy home. I went Goldie shopping every week until I found the perfect two and was saving the last spot for a long finned solid white fantail or ryukin....

Then hubby comes home with two short tailed calico fantails.... These poor fish were the two ugliest little fantails I've ever seen! Not only did I not get my elusive white fantail I had been wanting for years (because of course when I found it the tank hadn't finished cycling yet) but now We have one more fish that I was comfortable with having in there! But he loves them lol he named them after his anime and tries to tell them all the time to eat my two if they get out of line lol.

So yes while I'm overstocked and can't handle a new tank ATM every time I see a beautiful white Goldie I sigh and wonder if just one more tank is when he is going to draw the line and divorce me.. :D

I assume there's no chance you live anywhere near me,  I have loads of white goldfish, including long tailed fantails.  I would so love to be rid of the excess.

• Admin

That is one thing I don't like about SoCal as well. I cannot get used to the fact that homes don't have basements. People who are from here are just used to it I guess... but to me it's like half the house is missing.  :teehee

No basements here either unless the house was built in the 20-30 :o

I assume there's no chance you live anywhere near me,  I have loads of white goldfish, including long tailed fantails.  I would so love to be rid of the excess.

I don't live close, but oh how that offer is tempting lol!

Although I have grown very fond of Choji and Obito now so it's not to bad :)

I'm absolutely limiting myself to three just to keep the workload of maintaining my 75 manageable.  So I guess i'd better be really picky about what fish I get.

although I'm so disappointed that the tanks not ready. There was an adorable little orange guy at PetCo who was dancing back and forth at the front of the tank just begging to come home with me. :/