Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Am I the only one...

... Who absolutely *fights* the urge to overstock?

I always want more - more adorable fish, every pretty one I see. The responsible fish owner in me won't overstock beyond my filter capacity because I believe goldfish do so much better with more room than less. More surface area, more gallons per fish, more plants and bio filtration to keep everything fresh and stable.

Oooooh, but those adorable fishy cheeks, the little tail wiggle, the GORGEOUS rainbow of colors and varieties.

It's a battle to remain responsible and not just buy every cute face I see. Anyone else?

You're not alone Taryl.

They are like potato chips, can't have just one.

That's a great analogy. I mean, I'm already pushing the limits of my shoebox of a home with four different aquariums, the newest being the 6 ft long 80 gallon one for the goldies in the living room. But I'd dearly love to triple that size and shove it full of show quality fish. It's like a sickness for cute aquatic friends!

Must... Resist!

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have six aquariums in my small apartment because I just can't say no to more fish. For a while I even had some of the tanks overstocked. I told myself I would just do the extra work required. But alas, I have learned that with my health issues that is just not possible. That is why I re-homed some of my goldfish recently, and also re-homed some of my tropicals a few months ago. I hear you and your desire for more. I still get urges to acquire more fish, even though I just have no more capacity. It's sooooo tempting. Sometimes I try so hard to justify why I can add "just one more." But I have to be rather harsh these days in saying no. And in keeping myself off fish websites.  :P

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Oh, also... my boyfriend and I have an arrangement that when I need to go to places like PetSmart or PetCo, I don't go alone. That way he can pry me away from any tempting little cuties.  :teehee

I completely understand what you mean.  I have only just started with goldfish again.  I keep seeing all these fish on the internet, and I want them all!  

Then I think that this bout of costia in the initial QT of my first two fish, and all the water changes, panic and sleepless nights has made me realise that I really can only just have one more fishy baby...  one day... 

The only thing I can tell myself to keep myself from not wanting more fish right now is that I need to give the fish I have and love already the best quality care... when and only when I can manage that, then I can get ONE more.... and then will be at my stocking maximum....

Please remind me of that in 6 months when I want another new baby!  Please! 

unless.....

It's *very* tempting - I wish I had room for some fancy goldfish - but we've already got Cee the betta in the original 10 gal., & our 5 goldfish we already have are going to go in the 75 gal. (as soon as the thing cycles - I think I'm getting close now...) & honestly, there's nowhere else to *put* any more tanks in our house - nor do I have the time to do proper care for more than a couple, what with the other pets & my kids. But yes, I'd like one of these, & one of those, & that cute little one that needs to come home with someone....

It is awfully hard. I used to regularly get new-fish-itis every six months or so, and it was almost physically painful. I'd literally swoon at the ones I saw online and yearned for.

But having been through a spate of fish deaths recently (when I was trying and trying to get some pearlscales, and they kept dying in QT, often within a day or two of arrival), I think I'll be fish shy for a while. I finally found some healthy ones and I'm babying the heck out of them, and they're healthy as little horses. I will NEVER put a new fish in with them, even if I did the QT to end all QTs. Can't risk it.

So that's temporarily cured my Piscine Acquisitional Disorder (PAD). I just invented a disease, woot! ;)

You and the tiku drama! I don't blame you for never, ever wanting to risk the great batch you have now.

I'm really nervous about taking Otto and Momoko out of quarantine, too, even though they're clear as far as I can tell. I'm so worried about carrying a pathogen into my new tank, or having them catch something, it's driving me nuts. Realistically I can tell any symptoms I am seeing right now are due to them doing a fish in cycle (I am so bummed I had to destroy my filters and start over) and not illness, but after fighting big and nasties I think it's easy to get a bit PTSD over the thought of ever doing it again.

We are clear, though - as clear as we are going to be - and I need to buzz Jared about getting Tora in with the crew here. I just watched the vid of her again and cannot WAIT to have her join in, even as paranoid about disease as I am. I'm biding my time looking for two perfect orandas at Rain Garden and once those come I will have to be absolutely set until someone passes away. So I am satisfying my PAD with a) Tora coming sooner than later and b) knowing I plan on having two more beauties and have the luxury of waiting as long as I want to find the perfect fish.

Then I'll QT the ever loving snot out of them, just to be safe :rofl

It is awfully hard. I used to regularly get new-fish-itis every six months or so, and it was almost physically painful. I'd literally swoon at the ones I saw online and yearned for.

But having been through a spate of fish deaths recently (when I was trying and trying to get some pearlscales, and they kept dying in QT, often within a day or two of arrival), I think I'll be fish shy for a while. I finally found some healthy ones and I'm babying the heck out of them, and they're healthy as little horses. I will NEVER put a new fish in with them, even if I did the QT to end all QTs. Can't risk it.

So that's temporarily cured my Piscine Acquisitional Disorder (PAD). I just invented a disease, woot! ;)

LOL PAD... I :heart that!   Ill add it to my list with all my other disorders... :tomuch:

Then I'll QT the ever loving snot out of them, just to be safe :rofl

You have just hit the nail on the head!  I am worried about putting another fish in with my two after coming close to loosing them... it will be a race to see who can out quarantine who!  :heart  :hug

I want ALL the goldfish!  The more I have, the more I want.  The pond is the worst for me.  Seeing a dozen plus goldfish school together, in all of their beautiful colors and long, flowy tails, is one of the most beautiful things and I could watch them all day.

I will never, ever, ever have just one goldfish now that I've seen how they live and interact in a "family."  I can't even speak highly enough for its beauty.

I was just living in a city 3 hours away from my home town for 2 months doing my final nursing practicum, and I was at a pet/fish store almost every single day going crazy seeing all the beautiful fish but knowing I do not have the room for them. I usually don't get to see fish this often since the little town I live in does not have any pet stores, so this was super different for me. I used to only see the ones online to drool over, but having them right in my face was torture lol

You're not alone Taryl.

Love it!

I HAD a major addiction to more fish, more, tanks, and more ponds. The maintenance routine and the added cost of running all the extra filters and pumps are what eventually helped break me of the addiction. I got to a point where it was no longer enjoyable but rather more of a chore. The quality of the water in all of the tanks and ponds suffered. I also saw my electricity bill going up and up and I decided I wanted to reduce my consumption so I could spend the money on other things. Now I have one pond and one tank and I am keeping them in much better condition.

I would love more. (have my last one in QT right now so no more room now) But not those online. I lost all the ones I ever bought for more then 30 bucks way to soon to justify the cost. But I do like to go look at them.

I would love more. (have my last one in QT right now so no more room now) But not those online. I lost all the ones I ever bought for more then 30 bucks way to soon to justify the cost. But I do like to go look at them.

You're not the first person I have heard say that. Was it a disease issue just general short lifespans?

I wish I could have more fish all the time. Someday I'd like to live somewhere I can have a big pond and a ground floor room where I can keep at least a few massive tanks without worrying about the weight of it all. That won't happen any time too soon, but I can dream.

For now though I think having a properly stocked tank is pretty satisfying. It helps keep the work aspect of fish keeping from overwhelming the enjoyment aspect.

You're not alone Taryl.

:bingo:

Hey you stole my line :wa

I HAD a major addiction to more fish, more, tanks, and more ponds. The maintenance routine and the added cost of running all the extra filters and pumps are what eventually helped break me of the addiction. I got to a point where it was no longer enjoyable but rather more of a chore. The quality of the water in all of the tanks and ponds suffered. I also saw my electricity bill going up and up and I decided I wanted to reduce my consumption so I could spend the money on other things. Now I have one pond and one tank and I am keeping them in much better condition.

I think we need a section on this forum for MTS: Multi Tank Syndrome

Hi, my name is Mike and I am addicted to goldfish

:rofl

You're not alone Taryl.

Didn't you get your royalty check yet?

:rofl3

When too many fish become a burden, it takes the enjoyment out of the hobby. Better to keep less fish :)

You're not alone Taryl.

Didn't you get your royalty check yet?

:rofl3

No When are you going to send it to me :rofl:wa

Ohhh I was just looking at Rain Garden today. Sigh... :9 I want one so bad!  I only have so much space in our little home though.  So  then I would have to give up my tropical community planted tank that I worked so hard on and never mind the ridiculous amount of money I put into it :P But probably before this time next year, I will end up having two goldfish tanks!  I just cannot help it.  There's nothing better than coming home after a stressful day of of dealing with people, to 3 happy dogs and my sweet happy goldies. :heart Oh yeah and my hubby too! LOL

You're not the first person I have heard say that. Was it a disease issue just general short lifespans?

One to dropsy, one to being egg bound the rest just fine one day gone the next.  

One to dropsy, one to being egg bound the rest just fine one day gone the next.

I'm sorry!

Ohhh I was just looking at Rain Garden today. Sigh... :9 I want one so bad!  I only have so much space in our little home though.  So  then I would have to give up my tropical community planted tank that I worked so hard on and never mind the ridiculous amount of money I put into it :P But probably before this time next year, I will end up having two goldfish tanks!  I just cannot help it.  There's nothing better than coming home after a stressful day of of dealing with people, to 3 happy dogs and my sweet happy goldies. :heart Oh yeah and my hubby too! LOL

I'm trying to let space and energy be the limiting factor. I wish I could do something like a pond here but it freezes so hard in the winter I'm not sure how tenable that would be. Though I suppose there are heaters for ponds, too?