• * Nitrite Level(Tank)      0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)      0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)   0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)       0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)      
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)     7.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master kit (drops)
      • * Water temperature? Room temp
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 breeder
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  AC 70 & AC 40
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?  1/week at 80% w/c
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  2 days ago at 80%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish at 2 1/2"
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum 1mm, repashy soilent green
      • * Any new fish added to the tank?  2 of 3 added 8 weeks ago, and floaty fish is 3 months old(approx)
      • * Any medications added to the tank?  I have just started a second round of Prazi
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Treated all three fish with Prazi for 5 rounds. These current rounds are just an extra 2 I decided to continue after placing the 2 new fish into the main tank because I noticed white/clear stringy poo.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?white/clear stringy poo
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Fish is having trouble swimming upright, facing head down and bobbing up to surface.

For the last 10 days, one of my three fish has had trouble balancing itself and floats to the top.

It has trouble swimming down to the bottom and I was thinking it's a swim bladder issue.

All three fish had either clear or stringy white poo, which made me think a couple ounds of prazi wouldn't hurt. (single dose per round, no salt)

Feedings originally consisted of twice a day, repashy soilent green in morning and nls in evening.

But then when the floaty problems happened to the one and I noticed the poop being stringy and white, I reduced it to once a day of only repashy...same problem, then NLS only, and again same issue for the problem fish.

I'd feed and within an hour, floating.

By the end of the day, he was fine.

So I fasted for 3 days (started on Thursday).

Things looked good by this morning (Day 3).

I fed some shelled and lightly boiled peas.

All three gobbled it up, but the problem fish is floating again.

I am fresh out of ideas, and wondering if there is any thing more I can do.

Here is a clip of my issue:

http://vid1343.photobucket.com/albums/o788/misteredwardhyde/VIDEO0330_zpszdi7c5gc.mp4

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I would fast for a day and then Feed only bloodworms and see how the floating is. Which NLS are you feeding? Thera a?

Hey Mikey.

I fasted for 3 days and then fed some peas.

Still had problems.

:idont

Edited by Mr. Hyde

• Helper

I'm sorry you're having floaty issues. Could a bacterial infection be a possibility? What do you have on hand to treat with, in terms of meds?

I'm sorry you're having floaty issues. Could a bacterial infection be a possibility? What do you have on hand to treat with, in terms of meds?

Thanks Taryl.

For meds, I just have prazi and slat.

I can always buy metro and kana if need be.

Oh, Thundercat. Feel better soon!

Hope you figure this out soon. :hug

Hope your fish gets well soon!  My Nola had an identical problem…and I never figured it out.  It was really frustrating.  

Hey Mikey.

I fasted for 3 days and then fed some peas.

Still had problems.

peas and bloodworms are different :) it can't hurt to try :). Bloodworms are easier to eat and digest in my opinion.

Mike, is this the only fish with the stringy white poop?  Prazi will not treat this problem.  If it is an infection, you should definitely use Metroplex and probably Kanaplex, too.

Mike, is this the only fish with the stringy white poop?  Prazi will not treat this problem.  If it is an infection, you should definitely use Metroplex and probably Kanaplex, too.

I have seen the stringy white poo on all three fish.

Do you believe they all have an infection?

I have seen the stringy white poo on all three fish.

Do you believe they all have an infection?

That's unlikely.  Is their poop always stringy and white?

...pretty sure I have seen white and stringy poop on all three.

Haven't noticed any normal poop last little while and wasn't sure if it was constipation or something else.

Haven't noticed any normal poop last little while and wasn't sure if it was constipation or something else.

Why don't you try Metronidazole alone in case this is an internal parasite.  You can treat the main tank and it won't hurt your cycle.  Keep the Metronidazole in the tank for 14 days.  Stop the Prazi.

Why don't you try Metronidazole alone in case this is an internal parasite.  You can treat the main tank and it won't hurt your cycle.  Keep the Metronidazole in the tank for 14 days.  Stop the Prazi.

I looked at the fish right now and one of the two non floaty ones has clear poop.

I'll give it a try Jared.

Just a few questions:

Metroplex is same as metronidazol, yes?

&

The tank is a 40 breeder, and I keep hearing these tanks are actually 45-46 gallons(ish).

So would I still medicate for 40 gallons or account for the extra 5-6?

I looked at the fish right now and one of the two non floaty ones has clear poop.

I'll give it a try Jared.

Just a few questions:

Metroplex is same as metronidazol, yes?

&

The tank is a 40 breeder, and I keep hearing these tanks are actually 45-46 gallons(ish).

So would I still medicate for 40 gallons or account for the extra 5-6?

Yes, Metroplex is Metronidazole,  Go ahead and treat for 45 gallons and use the 200 mg dosage ( 2 scoop per 10 gallons).  This will be seven doses added every other day.  Do your water change(s) on a dosing day right before adding the antibiotics,

Sorry, but do you mean 9 scoops if it's 2 scoops per 10 gallons?

...my math sucks, so I may be wrong.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Yes, 9 scoops :) 4*2=8 which is 40 gallons treated and then one scoop for the 5 gallons left over.

Get well soon Thundercat!!

Mike I've probably said it before, but your white chu is my DREAM fish. I was always on the lookout for a white chu with orange eyes but had no luck. Your little guy is just perfect :wub:

Get well soon Thundercat!!

Mike I've probably said it before, but your white chu is my DREAM fish. I was always on the lookout for a white chu with orange eyes but had no luck. Your little guy is just perfect :wub:

Thanks Kate.

:)

The white chu with orange eyes (I've started started calling zombie-chu :P) was actually one the store received from a customer who couldn't keep the fish anymore.

I think he's my favorite, along with my orange and white wakin Boris.

So just an update.

Yesterday I fed all three ranchu some blood worms thinking it couldn't hurt, and also all they have had for 4 days now was a bit of peas.

They (of course) went bananas, and gobbled it up in a minute.

Observed for about an hour and all was cool, no floating :idont

So last night I gave a bit more blood worms (about 3/4 of a cube and fought temptation to give more).

Again, no floating.

This morning I gave half a cube, at around 7:45am and all is well so far.

About an hour ago I started noticing poop the colour of the blood worms.

Most were about 3/4" long and normal sized.

The problem floating fish had same length poop, but slightly thinner and a few empty spots in the casing (...pardon my gross poop descriptions)

I bought but haven't started any Metroplex yet.

I was going to use it last night when I came home, but noticed things are working their way out with the blood worms.

I did notice still some stringy poop with clear sections in it, about 10 minutes ago floating around the tank but don't know who did it.

So that's where I am and have to decide:

• Should I give blood worms for a little bit and see how it goes...should this be a staple part of their diet now?
  • Maybe introduce some repashy super green in a few days if all works out on it's own?
  • Should I still begin treating with the metroplex?

Here is a video this morning at around 9am:

http://vid1343.photobucket.com/albums/o788/misteredwardhyde/VIDEO0331_zpssvn5avpv.mp4