New from Seattle

Phil B.

Hi all, first time here.

I just inherited a 75 gallon tank from a friend, and once its up and running, I plan on picking up three fancies. I was a fish owner for a lot of years before now, but its always been tropicals, in smaller tanks (20-55). So this should be an educational experience.

First thing of course if to make room for the tank *Yay, I only have to get rid of one piece of furniture!* And next, pick up a filter. I'm looking at an Aquaclear 110, since I've always used those and had good luck with them ($80 though *whimper*).

So thats about all for now. Looking forward to learning from folks here.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Phil and Welcome to Koko's.

Sounds like a great start inheriting a 75g tank for 3 fancies.  

Yes, the ac 110 are on the expensive side but they are nice and roomy for media:)  It's recommended here to have 10 times the filtration for goldfish because  they are a very messy fish.  With that said, You'll want to pick up another filter.  It's always a good thing anyway to have two filters running on the bigger tanks for if one should break down you'll at least have one running/working until you can replace the broken one.  

Two aqua clear 110 would be great for your tank or perhaps one aqua clear110 with an aqua clear70.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep the additional filter in mind for later as they start to grow. I'm planning to start with small fish and to raise them to good sized adults. I've already done some research as to their food and water quality needs. But I'm always up for more detailed info.

Ohhhhh new baby fish photos coming...... YAY!   Cant wait to see your babys.  Welcome to Kokos!  This is a brilliant site with many amazing and experienced people to help guide newbies like me.  They have been wonderful help and encouragement to me, and I know they will all welcome you just as warmly!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was thinking about what 4Prettyfish said, and have been thinking that 2 filters would be the way to go. Would two 70's be sufficient do you think? They'd be slightly more expensive than the 110 in the long run, but spreading the cost over two months (one for setup, and the other added the following month after the cycle and I'm ready for fish) would be less of a sticker shock.

I fully intend to do 10% water changes weekly, and to use an old trick I learned from using Aquaclears with tropicals, skipping the charcoal in the filters and adding a bag of ceramic bio beads instead.

Edited by Phil B.

Hello and welcome!

The output of an ac70 is 300 gallons per hour, so two ac70 would do 600 gph. For a 75 gallon tank, you'll want 750 gallons per hour. Ac110 does 500 gph. An ac110 and ac70 would be the way to go. You can checkout craigslist for filters. You can just disinfect used filters using bleach at a ratio of one part bleach and nine parts water for an hour or two.

Yeah, bag the charcoal and put more bio media.

Did you mean 100% wc instead of 10%?

Well, 10-20% was the amount I've usually gone with in the past.

I suppose I could shop around  for a used 110. Would dropping the number of fish to two make a difference?

I know, lots of questions. Just doing my best to learn.

Edited by Phil B.

Welcome to Koko's and the very different world of Goldfish Keeping!

Please do look at the guidelines Shakaho linked. They will explain why 10-20% weekly isn't enough of a WC for a goldfish tank. :)

As you are learning, keeping goldfish differs from keeping tropicals.  Big fish need big tanks, big water changes , and lots of filtration.  It sounds like lots of work, but just wait until you observe the personalities of these little guys.

Yes, if you started you tank with 2 small goldfish you could get by with one filter for a few months, particularly if you resist their eagerness for constant feeding.  Likewise, for a while, you can get by with changing 20 gallons a week instead of 35-40. Goldfish  poop big time, and if you use a lower filtration rate, you will find yourself vacuuming the tank every day to keep it clean.  While common goldfish can tolerate high levels of nitrate, some fancies  have problems with levels of 20 ppm or even lower.  Keeping nitrates that low requires changing lots of water.

Found some good prices for 110's on Ebay. So there's hope yet.

And not to worry. No fish til I have all the filters I'll need in place. Even if it takes a couple of months.

Hello and welcome. It is my opinion you would be much better off with 2 aqueon 55/75 filters than one aquaclear 110. The 2 aqueons can be purchased on amazon for a total of $63.98 with free shipping. Combined they flow 800 gph which would be more than 10x your gallons and be cheaper than the 110 while offering 300 gph more water flow. As in said, just my opinion.

Edited by DieselPlower

Welcome to kokos! Feel free to ask any questions as you get set up! Hope it's a quick one for ya :nana

Hello and welcome. It is my opinion you would be much better off with 2 aqueon 55/75 filters than one aquaclear 110. The 2 aqueons can be purchased on amazon for a total of $63.98 with free shipping. Combined they flow 800 gph which would be more than 10x your gallons and be cheaper than the 110 while offering 300 gph more water flow. As in said, just my opinion.

Didn't you also find that they use less electricity than the others?

To the OP, go with whatever you prefer and can swing financially!

Welcome to kokos! Feel free to ask any questions as you get set up! Hope it's a quick one for ya :nana

Didn't you also find that they use less electricity than the others?

To the OP, go with whatever you prefer and can swing financially!

I think in was pointing out that sunsun canister filters use a lot of watts. Especially the ones with a UV bulb, that generally isn't needed in an aquarium. What I found just now is that the aquaclear 110 uses 14 watts and the aqueon uses 14.5 watts. The number for the aqueon uses as on some random site so not sure its accurate.

I confess price is something of an issue with me, since I'm on a fixed income. However the health of the fish comes first.

I'll check out the alternatives, thanks! I admit I was a little concerned about the amount of water flow such a large Aquaclear would put out. I wouldn't want to watch my poor Goldies get blown around the tank by the current. :)

• Helper

Phil, if you'd like a Sunsun I have a spare I'd be willing to sell. Do message me if you're interested and welcome to the forum :)

:hi and welcome. :)

I have 2 AC 110s on my tank and have had very small fish in there without a problem. It's not like a whirlpool or anything. :rofl. And there are spots with less current than others. It shouldn't be a problem for a healthy fish, even if it's only about 5 grams. :)

Phil, if you'd like a Sunsun I have a spare I'd be willing to sell. Do message me if you're interested and welcome to the forum :)

He can't use the PM system yet. He doesn't have enough posts.

Arctic - Well I'd certainly be interested in havign a look. Are you on Facebook by chance?

The Aqueon looks interesting, though I'm not a huge fan of cartridge filters. I'll have to research a bit more.

Edited by Phil B.