Open wound, mushy belly?

all4koi

Help!! One of my little orandas looks like she got beat up bad or more likely has an infection. I filmed my tank 2 days ago & she wasnt like this. Appears to be an ulcer or open wound by her anal vent, white inside and red outside. She has a mushy belly now too. How do I treat her? All I have on hand is prazipro and melafix.

Yes, we can see the picture.  It looks very uncomfortable :(  

If you have a minute, could you please fill out the following checklist to give us a head start before a mod can give you a hand?  It may prove useful to know a little more about your tank, water parameters, the fish's history and tankmates :)

Hopefully she feels better quickly!  I'm sure you'll get some great guidance shortly.

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  •  
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Here ya go, mods. Params are really good in this tank oddly enough.

Test Results for the Following:
•* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
•* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
•* Nitrate level(Tank) 5
•* Ammonia Level(Tap) 1
•* Nitrite Level(Tap) .25
•* Nitrate level(Tap) 5
•* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
•* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0

•Other Required Info:
•* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Drop Kit
•* Water temperature?  76
•* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  75 gal, runnin  3.5 years
•* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  API Filstar for 225 gals
•* How often do you change the water and how much? 1x week 30-40%
•* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tuesday 5/26, 30-40%
•* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 large fish (4 inches), 2 small fish (1.5 fish)
•* What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Seachem Prime
•* What do you feed your fish and how often? 1-2xd, varying food from repashy, seaweed/peas, presoaked hikari pellets, bloodworms
•* Any new fish added to the tank? No
•* Any medications added to the tank?  Did a round of prazipro 2 weeks ago as a preventative only,
•* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. PraziPro done 2-3x a year as preventative only, no outbreaks of sickness previously
•* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? tail fins appear to just start barely fraying but no other visible symptoms other than ulcer/wound looking at anal vent that is white inside red outside
•* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Stays in upper part of water column by floating anubias plants to stay hidden, has been swimming fine and has been eating

Edited by all4koi

I hope your fish gets to acting and looking better once treatment has been suggested and started. It's hard having a sick fish.  Hang in there.  A Mod will see your thread.

I would recommend separating this fish and treating with Metronidazole and Kanamycin.  If you have Metro Meds food already and the fish will eat,  this would be ideal.  It is no longer available if you don't already have some.  If not, you can use Seachem Metroplex and Kanaplex powders together.  I would start this as soon as you can get the meds as a mushy belly is a serious sign of advanced infection.  

Yes I have some metromed food thankfully and fed him that tonite after I put him in QT. He ate 2 pellets and pooped at least! I put some melafix for good measure too. He doesnt seem too lethargic yet so hoping I caught this earlyenough. Should I directly treat the area with anything?

have the xl filstar, the biggest one available.

Edited by all4koi

Yes I have some metromed food thankfully and fed him that tonite after I put him in QT. He ate 2 pellets and pooped at least! I put some melafix for good measure too. He doesnt seem too lethargic yet so hoping I caught this earlyenough. Should I directly treat the area with anything?

have the xl filstar, the biggest one available.

Great!  You will want to feed him 1% of his body weight daily.  I would forego the Melafix as it is inappropriate for this infection.

You want to treat him with 1% of his body weight of MMs. Must be a typo on Jared's part . . .

If you have a scale we can tell you how many pellets that is. :). Just weigh him and let us know how much he weighs.

• Helper

.24 grams, or a quarter of a gram. Would you like me to weigh that out for you to see how many pellets it is? I have a scale that goes down to a tenth of a gram :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

Okay, according to my scale that is 8 pellets, as 32 pellets is a gram :)

That is one tiny fish you have!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Okay, according to my scale that is 8 pellets, as 32 pellets is a gram :)

That is one tiny fish you have!

That sounds about right.  Our calculation for 1 gram is 40 pellets.  The pellet size is imprecise, so there is room for error.  I usually use 10 pellets for a 25 gram fish.

I'm so sorry about Baby. I've only been on koko's for about 1.5 years. In that time, I've not read any situation that has comes close to what you describe that Baby went through. But I do know that occasionally this can happen: a goldfish can be fine--perky, hungry, healthy looking--one day and then the next day be gone.

Rest in peace, little one.

Baby didnt make it thru the day :( sure curious ehat it was that mafe yhat open wound looking thing overnight.

Because of the mushy belly, I'm guessing there had been an internal infection for quite some time and what you eventually saw was the infection reaching the external surface of the body.

Thanks all! I was originally scared it was columnaris of some kind; had a friend whose fish were wiped out in 2-3 days since she didn't know what it was or how to treat. Either way, I put an order in for some other meds than just PP to have on hand in case anyone in my tank starts to present similar issues. Did another PWC of my main tank just in case. 

• Helper

Baby didnt make it thru the day :( sure curious ehat it was that mafe yhat open wound looking thing overnight.

Because of the mushy belly, I'm guessing there had been an internal infection for quite some time and what you eventually saw was the infection reaching the external surface of the body.
That would be my guess, too. If it was just the vent I'd assume surface damage or mechanical damage from spawning, a tank decoration, etc. But if the internal structures were inflamed and then necrotic from infection it might take quite awhile to show externally except the lethargy, appetite issues, color blanching, clamped fins MO.

It happens occasionally, even in the best kept tanks. Things like Aeromonas definitely thrive in lax husbandry and that's an area we can proactively manage, but not every infectiob can be prevented, caught in time for treatment, or healed even with targeted application of antibiotics. We just do the best we can to give our fish the proper environment, diet, and treatment as needed, and the rest is out of our hands.

:grouphug:

Edited by Arctic Mama