Cycling tank with fish(old tank leaked had to transfer my fish to another tank)

Hello

Just yesterday my old tanked started leaking,so I transfered my fish.

So I removed all the water on my new 60 gallon tank( was doing a fishless cycle) the ammonia reading yesterday was 0ppm after removing all the water.

and in the morning (today) the ammonia was .25ppm  so I did a 65% water change and it was 0ppm ammonia, and 0ppm nitrite.

Later that day around 6pm est time my nitrite reading went to .50ppm So I did a water change again about 60-65% and my readings for ammonia was 0ppm and nitrite was 0ppm.

I'm wondering if I Killed my benifical bacteria because of the water change. I didnt want my oranda to suffer from nitrite or ammonia poisoning.

WIll it be ok if I change the water 50-60% twice a day when should I change the water what readings should I look for in

Ammonia and nitrites?

Is making them go 0ppm a bad thing?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

You may end up with a cycle bump from moving the media (or cleaning the filter) but as long as your water is treated properly your nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria should be just fine. Watch the parameters and water change as needed, but you won't be recycling your entire tank with just a transfer and a new setup, but the same filter media.

• Helper

Okay, rereading your post I'm a bit confused. You were doing a fishless cycle, it you did also transfer a filter from their previous leaky tank, correct? So you have the filter from the fishless cycle and the filter from their tank going together?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Okay, rereading your post I'm a bit confused. You were doing a fishless cycle, it you did also transfer a filter from their previous leaky tank, correct? So you have the filter from the fishless cycle and the filter from their tank going together?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Yes,I transfered the old aqua clear 70 to my new tank

.I was thinkin it could help the tank cause it was already cycled.

thank you btw

If your fish is in the tank, it is producing ammonia, so that ammonia will be enough to keep the amount of beneficial bacteria alive that you need.  Do you use Prime as your water conditioner?  If you do, then you can double dose your Prime and it will detoxify ammonia and nitrites temporarily (they will still measure as being there on the water tests).  If you don't have Prime then I would definitely recommend you get some especially while your tank is going through the cycle bump :)

Edited by Kayla102968

If your fish is in the tank, it is producing ammonia, so that ammonia will be enough to keep the amount of beneficial bacteria alive that you need.  Do you use Prime as your water conditioner?  If you do, then you can double dose your Prime and it will detoxify ammonia and nitrites temporarily (they will still measure as being there on the water tests).  If you don't have Prime then I would definitely recommend you get some especially while your tank is going through the cycle bump :)

Yes Im using Prime

THank you for your help =)

If your old tank was cycled with the AC 70 and you transferred the AC70 to your new tank without adding any more fish, your new tank will already be cycled for the most part.  The large majority of your BB live in your filter.  Some live on the surface of the tank, ornaments, etc so you may see a bit of a bump.  But if you haven't added more fish, you most likely won't see much of a bump.

Also to help with the nitrite, please add 1 tsp per 10 gallons.  :D

If your old tank was cycled with the AC 70 and you transferred the AC70 to your new tank without adding any more fish, your new tank will already be cycled for the most part.  The large majority of your BB live in your filter.  Some live on the surface of the tank, ornaments, etc so you may see a bit of a bump.  But if you haven't added more fish, you most likely won't see much of a bump.

Also to help with the nitrite, please add 1 tsp per 10 gallons.   :D

1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons  :)

Thanks again! :thumbup2:

1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons  :)

thank you

• Helper

Yes, since you transferred it I wouldn't worry. Between the prime and the salt you should be set. A normal filter cycle can take between 40-80 days in my experience, to really and fully mature. You're way ahead of the fame and cycle bumps happen, but they recover very quickly :)

1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons  :).

:tomuch: Sometimes I breeze right past the most important detail. :o.

1tsp of what? :rofl3. Oh my stars.

Hello again

today Im doing another water change in the tank and Im wondering if i killed my bb in the filter or tank

cause my ammonia level is .50-1ppm and no nitrite anymore?

thank you

That's what you would call a cycle bump. It's fine, and you likely just killed a few BBs, but not all of them. Keep an eye on the parameters and do WCs as-needed. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

That's what you would call a cycle bump. It's fine, and you likely just killed a few BBs, but not all of them. Keep an eye on the parameters and do WCs as-needed. :)

Thank you  ChelseaM

I just did a 50%water change just now because of the ammonia was at .50ppm

• Admin

You know what that's a sign of Lisa.   :teehee

Old age...?

Sorry couldnt resist :rofl

:bat:  *Ahem*  I think you're older than me.   :pp

:rofl3

By like 3 or 4 whole weeks.   :rofl

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

:rofl

Hi Fantailfan1

I have a question

In the morning my ammonia reading was .25ppm so I did a 50% water change and my ammonia is zero after I changed the water.

Now at 8pm theirs no sign of ammonia or nitrite did I mess something up?

THanks again

sorr for the trouble